Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #421 of 634
The bluetooth/software support on the Shure Aonic 50 sound pretty whacky. "aaron is loud and wireless" has a pretty good comparison if you're looking for one.

If you're looking for a wireless headphone which has the one of the best noise cancellation and app support, then yes. Otherwise if you just need wireless, the audeze mobius is worth a look. Otherwise for wired, $350 can get you a nice set of headphones and DSD dac.

Thank you for that information, basically at the moment I have a Sony NW-A45 which of course converts DSD to PCM for playback, however I soon will be purchasing another player like the Hiby R3 Pro, which can also be used as a DAC & play DSD files. Now one of the main things that attracted me towards the Sony was the long battery life, which will be essential for when I can go travelling again, but also has the Multipoint, so that I don’t miss calls when on a walk or travelling. So really need something that can do everything.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #422 of 634
Thank you for that information, basically at the moment I have a Sony NW-A45 which of course converts DSD to PCM for playback, however I soon will be purchasing another player like the Hiby R3 Pro, which can also be used as a DAC & play DSD files. Now one of the main things that attracted me towards the Sony was the long battery life, which will be essential for when I can go travelling again, but also has the Multipoint, so that I don’t miss calls when on a walk or travelling. So really need something that can do everything.
In that case, I think the XM4 is a great fit for you. The ANC is superb for flights, and owning a A45 lets you take full advantage of LDAC. I will say for the cost, you definitely trade sound quality for convenience. The EQ working in all modes is handy, but the small details (like decay, and reverb are missing) making it sound like a $~100 pair of wired headphones. The multipoint is the best I've tried so far (vs airpods pro and qc35). Theyre pretty good about autoswitching when you pause one source and pickup another, plus the announcement for new connections doesn't pause the content youre listening to (just lowers the volume). Only thing to note is that you can't use LDAC and multipoint at the same time due to connection limitations.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #423 of 634
In that case, I think the XM4 is a great fit for you. The ANC is superb for flights, and owning a A45 lets you take full advantage of LDAC. I will say for the cost, you definitely trade sound quality for convenience. The EQ working in all modes is handy, but the small details (like decay, and reverb are missing) making it sound like a $~100 pair of wired headphones. The multipoint is the best I've tried so far (vs airpods pro and qc35). Theyre pretty good about autoswitching when you pause one source and pickup another, plus the announcement for new connections doesn't pause the content youre listening to (just lowers the volume). Only thing to note is that you can't use LDAC and multipoint at the same time due to connection limitations.
Thank you very much for that informative reply as I would had never thought of some of the essential stuff. My left AirPod Pro suddenly went dead today, done countless restarts and none of my devices is picking it up, so I will be ordering the XM4’s sooner rather than later especially as they can be bought for £290 including delivery, where as most places are charging £350.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #424 of 634
Thank you very much for that informative reply as I would had never thought of some of the essential stuff. My left AirPod Pro suddenly went dead today, done countless restarts and none of my devices is picking it up, so I will be ordering the XM4’s sooner rather than later especially as they can be bought for £290 including delivery, where as most places are charging £350.
Oof, rough to have your AirPods Pro go out especially during these WFH times. Plus Apple replacement prices are pretty steep. I'd also suggest looking into open box offers. I picked up my white XM4 in "good" condition (flawless aside from the box) from Amazon for $230 shipped/taxed (~164gbp). Also I would recommend buying from somewhere with a good return policy as some pairs make a crackling sound when using ANC for a long period (build up from ear moisture in the cups after several hours).

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #425 of 634
The sound is better than $100 and with the right EQ settings, you can hear the details than most people realize. It's a lot better than most people give credit for, especially when using the LDAC with my FiiO M6. I bought a pair yesterday with Rakuten points for 23,400 yen brand new. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #426 of 634
SONY XM4 works great in ANC mode and it was made purposely for that. Mobility, light and comfort, good SQ when EQ, lots of option in app and much more. LDAC is no joke. Even if you have old Android Smartphone, if you can upgrade the Android firmware above 8.0, you can enjoy the LDAC codec like Samsung Note 3. If you are using UAPP (USB Android Plyer Pro) you can use the Tone booster Morphit or Parametric EQ for your liking.

Screenshot_20210312-064440.jpg
Screenshot_20210312-064507.jpg

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #427 of 634
Oof, rough to have your AirPods Pro go out especially during these WFH times. Plus Apple replacement prices are pretty steep. I'd also suggest looking into open box offers. I picked up my white XM4 in "good" condition (flawless aside from the box) from Amazon for $230 shipped/taxed (~164gbp). Also I would recommend buying from somewhere with a good return policy as some pairs make a crackling sound when using ANC for a long period (build up from ear moisture in the cups after several hours).
Yes disappointed is an understatement but as I only paid £70 for them, it is what it is. Also as I recently spent out £330 on a Turntable that can archive vinyl straight to DSD and £300 on a Yamaha Musiccast which is due to arrive any day now, that can play Native DSD straight from my Nas, I figured that I should get some Hi Res headphones, so that I can hear my favourite Hi Res files albums when on the move. The supplier in question is Amazon UK, have bought plenty of stuff from them over the years & never had any issues with returns.
The sound is better than $100 and with the right EQ settings, you can hear the details than most people realize. It's a lot better than most people give credit for, especially when using the LDAC with my FiiO M6. I bought a pair yesterday with Rakuten points for 23,400 yen brand new. Enjoy!
Thank you for the information on the EQ, it is always good to have a fiddle with these things, I mainly listen to Rock & Metal, so finding a good setting will be essential. Admittedly I do not know much about the Filo and how it compares to other Hi Res players with native playback, but sounds like you got a bargain.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #428 of 634
Yes disappointed is an understatement but as I only paid £70 for them, it is what it is. Also as I recently spent out £330 on a Turntable that can archive vinyl straight to DSD and £300 on a Yamaha Musiccast which is due to arrive any day now, that can play Native DSD straight from my Nas, I figured that I should get some Hi Res headphones, so that I can hear my favourite Hi Res files albums when on the move. The supplier in question is Amazon UK, have bought plenty of stuff from them over the years & never had any issues with returns.

Thank you for the information on the EQ, it is always good to have a fiddle with these things, I mainly listen to Rock & Metal, so finding a good setting will be essential. Admittedly I do not know much about the Filo and how it compares to other Hi Res players with native playback, but sounds like you got a bargain.
The LDAC on my 1A and 1Z players work wonders with my XM3 as well.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #429 of 634

I'm not sure if Yamaha Music Cast supports LDAC or Aptx-HD codec if you want to use it with your HiRes Wireless Headphones like Sony XM-4. But if you want a Wireless Headphones that covers all HiRes Bluetooth codecs with audiophiles SQ I would suggest go with Drop + THX Panda.

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #430 of 634
SONY XM4 works great in ANC mode and it was made purposely for that. Mobility, light and comfort, good SQ when EQ, lots of option in app and much more. LDAC is no joke. Even if you have old Android Smartphone, if you can upgrade the Android firmware above 8.0, you can enjoy the LDAC codec like Samsung Note 3. If you are using UAPP (USB Android Plyer Pro) you can use the Tone booster Morphit or Parametric EQ for your liking.

Screenshot_20210312-064440.jpg Screenshot_20210312-064507.jpg
Wow that looks really good, thank you. sorry I didn’t mean for it to come out like that, what I meant was to use the musiccast with my passive speakers at home for The Hi-Res files without headphones & then use the XM4 when on the move. One thing I was wondering is that if the XM4’s are connected to the NW-A45 or other Hi Res Player via wired and not Bluetooth, are you still able to receive calls on it from another device ?.
I'm not sure if Yamaha Music Cast supports LDAC or Aptx-HD codec if you want to use it with your HiRes Wireless Headphones like Sony XM-4. But if you want a Wireless Headphones that covers all HiRes Bluetooth codecs with audiophiles SQ I would suggest go with Drop + THX Panda.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #431 of 634
Wow that looks really good, thank you. sorry I didn’t mean for it to come out like that, what I meant was to use the musiccast with my passive speakers at home for The Hi-Res files without headphones & then use the XM4 when on the move. One thing I was wondering is that if the XM4’s are connected to the NW-A45 or other Hi Res Player via wired and not Bluetooth, are you still able to receive calls on it from another device ?.
If I'm not mistaken, if you use the Headphone cable, the Bluetooth will not function means you cannot received calls on other device through Bluetooth.
There's a help guide for XM4
https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP0002752734.html

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #432 of 634
I wouldn't count on the XM4 as wired headphones too much.

Had the XM3, and they were not really great compared to non-BT/NC headphones at around the same price.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #433 of 634
I wouldn't count on the XM4 as wired headphones too much.

Had the XM3, and they were not really great compared to non-BT/NC headphones at around the same price.
You sold them?

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #434 of 634
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #435 of 634
If I'm not mistaken, if you use the Headphone cable, the Bluetooth will not function means you cannot received calls on other device through Bluetooth.
There's a help guide for XM4
https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP0002752734.html
Thank you for that I will take a look.
Yeah, I kept the WF-1000XM3 buds. They sound better than the over-ear XM3.
Those were originally my first choice but once I discovered they couldn’t do multipoint it kinda put a downer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back