Sony WF-1000XM5
Sep 25, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #616 of 1,029
Sorry to hear about your experience with your XM5. I haven't had the dropout problem on my XM5 (but quite a few stutters), but I did on my XM4 in early firmware versions where I'd lose audio and button controls on one side. I forgot which side it was by now.

I mitigated the problem by always taking one bud out of the case first, letting it connect before taking out the other one. I think behind the scenes the first bud to make the connection with the phone is the primary and other bud simply receives audio via the primary. That's why as the phone is concerned there is only 1 device connected. It was one of the sides being primary that was causing the problem for me. Maybe the same procedure could help you?
Appreciate the suggestion. I’m pretty sure I tend to pick an earbud at random after opening the case. It’s possible that the issue may be reproducible with taking the earbuds out in a certain order, however it’s an issue that needs to be resolved.
I ended up sending the earphones to Sonyon Friday, so they should have them today. I’d prefer if they just sent me a replacement pair rather than making me wait another 3-4 weeks. It’s times like this where I wish I’d bought them from Amazon.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #617 of 1,029
I just got the wf1000xm5 coming from buds 2 pro and xm4. I have good fit and i understand that now the nozzle is less deep and more on the outer side of your ear canal which mean you need bigger ear tips for it to seal and i have plenty of other eartips and most of it fit perfectly i have 0 issue whatsoever. Problem is... i dont feel the sound is a huge improvement from buds 2 pro and xm4 it is just... it have different EQ. It is more neutral instead of warm like xm4 and it is almost similar in vibe to buds 2 pro(but using azla max tips for buds 2 pro). This TWS doesnt wow me as much as i want it to be. I think buds 2 pro have better transparency IMO. Value wise i doesnt recommend this XM5 without a discount because sound and feature wise there is not much of an improvement. Xm4 on the other hand now is heavily discounted or maybe if you are a samsung user you can buy the buds 2 pro with the azla max buds 2 tips it sound very good also.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #621 of 1,029
Caved in and bought the XM5 at Gatwick airport and compared them on my flight to the XM4. I like the tuning better than the XM4 and the smaller size is nice and I have no problem with the gloss surface being too slippery. As expected even the L stock tip is too small for my ears so I had to put my Final E LL tips on and they give a good seal but are marginally too big for the charging case. ANC to me is marginally better than XM4 but there is not much in it, tried both in the busy terminal and during flight.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #622 of 1,029
I strongly recommend the Sony EP-EX11 ear tips. i have used these on my Xm3, Xm4, Linkbuds S as well as on other sony iems for years. Excellent synergy with all of them. It's their in-house eartip after all. Comes with IER M7/M9. But why they don't include this on their tws line is beyond my understanding. Genuine ones can be found on Ebay. The ones on Aliexpress/Amazon are fakes.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #623 of 1,029
Caved in and bought the XM5 at Gatwick airport and compared them on my flight to the XM4. I like the tuning better than the XM4 and the smaller size is nice and I have no problem with the gloss surface being too slippery. As expected even the L stock tip is too small for my ears so I had to put my Final E LL tips on and they give a good seal but are marginally too big for the charging case. ANC to me is marginally better than XM4 but there is not much in it, tried both in the busy terminal and during flight.
i shared the same feeling. i haven't had a chance to use wf-1000xm5 in a flight. but during my city commuting i found the anc works at least on par, if not better than xm4. there's less "suck out" effect than the xm4 too. i'm wondering whether the adaptive anc setting is affecting people's feeling on this? just the BT connection stability is definitely worse than xm4 from my experience. the sound profile is now more balance and sounds less bass canon. i think the street price of xm5 is a bit lower than xm4 when launched too (probably no aimer/milet/ikuta saves a lot of marketing expenses . . .)

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #624 of 1,029
I strongly recommend the Sony EP-EX11 ear tips. i have used these on my Xm3, Xm4, Linkbuds S as well as on other sony iems for years. Excellent synergy with all of them. It's their in-house eartip after all. Comes with IER M7/M9. But why they don't include this on their tws line is beyond my understanding. Genuine ones can be found on Ebay. The ones on Aliexpress/Amazon are fakes.
I bought them on eBay having them shipped from Japan. I didn't get along well with them. They never passed the test even though they were the right size. I switched to the Azla Xelastec which are amazing!

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #625 of 1,029
Well, I finally gave up and went back to the link buds S. They don't sound as terrific, but they're much more comfortable and most importantly, they stay in my ears. Good luck guys!

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #626 of 1,029
Well, I finally gave up and went back to the link buds S. They don't sound as terrific, but they're much more comfortable and most importantly, they stay in my ears. Good luck guys!
The right earbud of my linkbuds S suddenly died one day without any warning signs. Had them for about 2 months or so. From working flawlessly to complete dead just like that. Previously my xm4s were exhibiting signs of battery drain issues a couple of months in. I want to get the xm5 but the chances of something happening is keeping me away.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #627 of 1,029
The right earbud of my linkbuds S suddenly died one day without any warning signs. Had them for about 2 months or so. From working flawlessly to complete dead just like that. Previously my xm4s were exhibiting signs of battery drain issues a couple of months in. I want to get the xm5 but the chances of something happening is keeping me away.
No issues for mine. 2 Linkbuds S, XM4 and an XM3

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #629 of 1,029
I’d give it a shot. They sound incredible. I really wished I could have kept them. :/

FWIW, I had no issues with the XM3/4/5 and the linkbuds S. Maybe say a prayer before you pick it up? :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #630 of 1,029
IMG_9702.jpeg
IMG_9703.jpeg
XM4 vs. XM5 vs. Linkbuds S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back