Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 31, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #151 of 1,029
My first couple of days w/ the XM5s...largely echo what others have posted:
  • Also not a fan of the glossy finish; discovered the tip posted by assassin10000, pushing them outwards a bit to extract from the case does help.
  • I used the eartip utility in the app to size mine; last night it 'certified' S for both ears. Today at the gym, they were a lot louder than my XM4s; before I couldn't hear the gym music but today w/ the XM5s I could hear the gym music pretty well. Yes, ANC was on.
  • I found that my right ear, it felt like it was going to fall out. However, I jumped rope for nearly 2 mins at a pretty brisk pace and neither fell out.
  • I tried the M eartips tonight, and did the size comparo (S vs. M). The app then 'certified' M for both ears. I had tried both M and S last night before using the certified S. So tomorrow I'll see how they do at the gym. I did change to silicone tips for my XM4 and will probably give them a try.
  • Sound quality is very good (in a quiet area). As reported before, bass is not too strong.
  • Like the smaller case.
  • Like the fact there's less protruding from my ears. However, I'm also finding it a little more challenging to properly seat them in my ear due to both the smaller size and glossy finish.
  • My biggest gripe is the new 'tap' controls. I wish there was a way to reconfigure the # of taps; I would prefer not to have to tap 4x to increase/lower the volume. Unless I'm missing something and this can be changed?

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #152 of 1,029
I just picked up my pair. Have to say these really sound great (and I'm only having a quick listen now streaming Apple Music AAC from my i-phone while updating the firmware. After I'll check how stable/sound LDAC is from the A&K sr35).

Edit: so LDAC prioritize audio quality works just fine :). These sound also more balanced than XM4 so happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #153 of 1,029
Well arrived and straight on with my Spinfit silicons I used on XM4's.

I actually like the light colour mix

Will post immediate out of box thoughts bellow soon as connected to my Sony A307

OK paired LDAC to S21 & A307 and controls especially, volume control needs some work, compared to XM4.

Initial sound impressions are good, not the immediate bassy impact the XM4 delivered, but I prefer that.

Fit in my ears excellent and secure, much better size.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #154 of 1,029
Well arrived and straight on with my Spinfit silicons I used on XM4's.

I actually like the light colour mix

Will post immediate out of box thoughts bellow soon as connected to my Sony A307

OK paired LDAC to S21 & A307 and controls especially, volume control needs some work, compared to XM4.

Initial sound impressions are good, not the immediate bassy impact the XM4 delivered, but I prefer that.

Fit in my ears excellent and secure, much better size.
thank you "daddy" for the first impressions :p

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #155 of 1,029
  • Also not a fan of the glossy finish; discovered the tip posted by assassin10000, pushing them outwards a bit to extract from the case does help.
  • I used the eartip utility in the app to size mine; last night it 'certified' S for both ears. Today at the gym, they were a lot louder than my XM4s; before I couldn't hear the gym music but today w/ the XM5s I could hear the gym music pretty well. Yes, ANC was on.
  • I found that my right ear, it felt like it was going to fall out. However, I jumped rope for nearly 2 mins at a pretty brisk pace and neither fell out.
  • I tried the M eartips tonight, and did the size comparo (S vs. M). The app then 'certified' M for both ears. I had tried both M and S last night before using the certified S. So tomorrow I'll see how they do at the gym. I did change to silicone tips for my XM4 and will probably give them a try.
  • Sound quality is very good (in a quiet area). As reported before, bass is not too strong.
  • Like the smaller case.
  • Like the fact there's less protruding from my ears. However, I'm also finding it a little more challenging to properly seat them in my ear due to both the smaller size and glossy finish.
  • My biggest gripe is the new 'tap' controls. I wish there was a way to reconfigure the # of taps; I would prefer not to have to tap 4x to increase/lower the volume. Unless I'm missing something and this can be changed?
I had a 3 hour listening session at E-Earphone and found that I could distinguish the instruments more with the XM4 than the XM5. The XM5 feel finicky when you get that perfect that you want for your ears. The XM5 have a slightly wider soundstage, but after comparing them with the XM4, I was thinking to myself to not spend my money.

To top it off, anytime a new set of headphones come out, the previous models always get stocked up in the used department. I’m thinking to myself, just wait til the XM6 come out instead of getting these since the improvements are only slightly incremental and nothing groundbreaking or substantial. They are lighter, but I already have the Linkbuds S for that smaller form factor. Plus with the glossy finish, they will be prone to scratches easily. That just doesn’t sit well in my book. To the rest, enjoy. But unlike the WH-1000XM5 which I do own, I’ll be skipping out on these unless they are on sale for about 30% or more. I can be patient.

Oh, and the foam tips have a mesh net finish to prevent wax from getting on them. That is certainly a nice touch.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #156 of 1,029
Think I am ready for holidays now that the (xm4) case is in.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #157 of 1,029
thank you "daddy" for the first impressions :p
And it does look pale beige/cream than grey but depends on light. In good light they are clearly pale grey/silver with matt off white touch area. I personally much prefer over glossy black. Not sat wishing I'd gone black version.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #158 of 1,029
I had a 3 hour listening session at E-Earphone and found that I could distinguish the instruments more with the XM4 than the XM5. The XM5 feel finicky when you get that perfect that you want for your ears. The XM5 have a slightly wider soundstage, but after comparing them with the XM4, I was thinking to myself to not spend my money.

To top it off, anytime a new set of headphones come out, the previous models always get stocked up in the used department. I’m thinking to myself, just wait til the XM6 come out instead of getting these since the improvements are only slightly incremental and nothing groundbreaking or substantial. They are lighter, but I already have the Linkbuds S for that smaller form factor. Plus with the glossy finish, they will be prone to scratches easily. That just doesn’t sit well in my book. To the rest, enjoy. But unlike the WH-1000XM5 which I do own, I’ll be skipping out on these unless they are on sale for about 30% or more. I can be patient.

Oh, and the foam tips have a mesh net finish to prevent wax from getting on them. That is certainly a nice touch.
The XM4 were always discounted so I imagine these will be fluctuating in price with offers now and again. I only managed 10% with unidays through my son which took the sting off a tiny bit lol

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #159 of 1,029
  • Like the smaller case.
For ear security, you did do the twist to 'lock in' your eartab as you do with XM4 ? Without that can feel slack/loose.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #160 of 1,029
Three annoyance with the XM5 so far...

1. Changing Volume... I'd rather just rench for the Phone.
  2. Wax Guard are Built into the Stock Ear Tips instead of the IEM itself. This means you're force to use Stock Tips if you want any sort of wax guard.
  3. Slippery, Not a fan of the glossy material.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #161 of 1,029
Been using the XM5 and I love their sound signature (I rarely like the Sony's sound signature as they always have too much bass). Sony really does a good job on the sound tuning for the XM5 imho, for me at least. I am at least content with the XM5 for my go to TWS this year.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #162 of 1,029

2. Wax Guard are Built into the Stock Ear Tips instead of the IEM itself. This means you're force to use Stock Tips if you want any sort of wax guard.
To add to the comment about the volume adjustment, in general the limited ability to reassign what tapping the different buds does is quite disappointing at this price range.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #163 of 1,029

1. Been doing that to 99% of my TWS (GB2pro, TWX9, etc)
2. I never have this problem with ear wax covering up the nozzle as I clean my ears almost everyday
3. Yes. At first it is quite annoying but as you get used to putting it into your ears, it is not a big deal imho.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #165 of 1,029

Users who are viewing this thread

Back