Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 27, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #61 of 1,029
You cerainly got yours quick. My grey/silver ones should ship from Sony this week.

Got my Z1R (with BTR7) as bass monsters so hoping this more balanced like my M9's.

I also would like a bit less low end than the XM4.
Was surprised with the fast shipping from Sony. Z1R is awesome, I guess I have kind of grown use to that sound so want it in everything lol

I feel like the XM4 were a nice on the move wireless version of them. Perhaps that’s why my ears haven’t got use to the xm5. I’ll most likely keep them, I really dig the smaller and more comfy fit, it’s a real winner on that front.

ANC is as you’d expect, amazing. Have a flight to Japan in couple months so will give them a good go on the plane.

Transparency is an improvement over xm4 for sure but not on APP2 level yet.

Jul 27, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #62 of 1,029
Not the fingerprint magnet I thought they would be having bought the black pair which is a surprise.

Having put another hour on them this morning, I am liking them still. They do everything right, they just don't seem to have that sub bass rumble from the xm4, the bass is still there and hits hard but lacks that xm4 bass out the box. They went for more of a conservative effort this time, I think most will like the sound signature. It's more of a different offering from the xm4 sound wise than a progression of it. Different not better or better but different lol

IMG_8703.jpeg
I'll probably pick it up then, as I always thought the XM4 sounded a little bloaty. Sounds like Sony put some effort to clean it up 👍

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #64 of 1,029
I received my XM5s today - I've had the 3s and the 4s so pretty ingrained with the Sony world. This will be a bit of a quick fire impressions and if any questions let me know!

They are a lot smaller and lighter than the XM4s. The question is though is whether this is a good thing because its a different fit and will require some tip rolling. I can't get a seal with whatever the spin fits are used previously. I'm using a larger Azla Crystals at the moment and we'll see how I get on with them.

Sound wise? Relative to the XM4s, the reviews saying they are a bit more revealing and not as bassy are all correct. To me they sound a lot better due to the balance. Staging also feels a step up. Not sure they're better than the svanar wireless, but for radio and podcasts I am happy.

For the other things, love the smaller case, ANC seems a bit better, but also less suction like feel which I prefer, the tap controls are also better and the software for these also is tighter. I may actually use the adaptive anc based on your movements with these.

Jul 27, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #65 of 1,029
That was quick: https://www.techradar.com/audio/hea...1000xm5-audio-device-gain-a-performance-boost

As for the XM5 earbuds, firmware version 2.0.1 also introduces two upgrades. You have “support for the beta version of LE (Low Energy) Audio”, a new Bluetooth standard that offers a variety of benefits. These include “improved audio quality [and] reduced power consumption”. There is a catch regarding the beta: you must own either a Xperia 1 IV or Xperia 5 IV smartphone. Also, they both must have the latest software update. The other feature in version 2.0.1 simply enhances the audio quality during a hands-free call.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #66 of 1,029
I've never had a pair of wireless buds, but I do own Sony's WH-1000XM3 and like them, which is why I'm looking at these. I have custom molded tips on my Shure wired buds, but they are on their last leg. Does anyone know if these buds accept custom molded tips and where to get them? I already have molds made, just need someone to make the tips.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #67 of 1,029
I received my XM5s today - I've had the 3s and the 4s so pretty ingrained with the Sony world. This will be a bit of a quick fire impressions and if any questions let me know!

They are a lot smaller and lighter than the XM4s. The question is though is whether this is a good thing because its a different fit and will require some tip rolling. I can't get a seal with whatever the spin fits are used previously. I'm using a larger Azla Crystals at the moment and we'll see how I get on with them.

Sound wise? Relative to the XM4s, the reviews saying they are a bit more revealing and not as bassy are all correct. To me they sound a lot better due to the balance. Staging also feels a step up. Not sure they're better than the svanar wireless, but for radio and podcasts I am happy.

For the other things, love the smaller case, ANC seems a bit better, but also less suction like feel which I prefer, the tap controls are also better and the software for these also is tighter. I may actually use the adaptive anc based on your movements with these.
Any impressions as to how they sound compared to the old XM3s? I remember some people saying the XM4 was a little bassy compared to the XM3.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #68 of 1,029

Isn't it optimistic to think they should be better sounding than the Svanar TWS - everything considered (I used to own the XM5 but haven't tried the other two)

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #69 of 1,029
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #70 of 1,029
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #71 of 1,029
Isn't it optimistic to think they should be better sounding than the Svanar TWS - everything considered (I used to own the XM5 but haven't tried the other two)
Well, the Svanar is $200 more, which at this level isn't insignificant. Plus HiFiMan's construction quality and support isn't up to Sony's standards, I'm afraid.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #72 of 1,029
Jul 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #73 of 1,029
How did you manage “I used to own XM5” considering they’ve only come out this week, did you get them and then immediately get rid of them ?

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #74 of 1,029
How did you manage “I used to own XM5” considering they’ve only come out this week, did you get them and then immediately get rid of them ?
My bad = typo. Should have read XM4 - sorry

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #75 of 1,029
Just received my XM5 and if you are not a basshead, the sound of the XM5 is good. I have tried my friend's XM4 and the bass was too much for me and it makes the sound muddy. The XM5's bass is enough imho and the vocal seems to be more forward than the XM4. The sound is more open and airy than XM4.
I have been using Aful P8 for the past month so if the bass is too much on the XM5, I will be able to hear it clearly. But luckily, the bass is just enough for me. 20230728_192221.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back