Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #46 of 1,029
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #48 of 1,029
Yeh, read a few and comments all over the place.

My conclussion on few reviews so far on sound quality is mids clear/defined with improved sound stage and bass not as bloated.

Sounds an improvement to me. I don't have XM4’s now but will leave sone feedback when they arrive.

I thought the XM4 sounded great, just bit too large for my ears for buds as these are only for use when Out & About walking/cycling.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #49 of 1,029
Got rid of my xm4 yesterday, good timing as xm5 due in a couple hours. Went with black again but think maybe I should have gone with lighter colour now!

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #50 of 1,029
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #51 of 1,029
There are silicone covers already available for the new XM5 charging case! But I'll hold out for the more protective Spigen case (which is in development).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #53 of 1,029
First listen session, it’s definitely different from the xm4. It’s got a wider soundstage, bass doesn’t seem to have the same impact as xm4. Needs a bit more tinkering out the box vs the xm4. Will give them time but first impression is I prefer the xm4 sound out the box. Listening to electronic, it doesn’t seem to have that same feeling/impact/warmth.

What I love: the fit! So so much better. And you feel the weight difference for sure. Loving the whole overall smaller footprint.

Hm. Not the tuning that I expected from the bigger driver. I like them but not 100% loving them right now.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #55 of 1,029
Not available in Denmark until mid September, but I doubt I’ll be buying them until my XM4 stops working as they are already plenty good enough for my commuting and travel needs and I have no fit problems

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #56 of 1,029
Not the fingerprint magnet I thought they would be having bought the black pair which is a surprise.

Having put another hour on them this morning, I am liking them still. They do everything right, they just don't seem to have that sub bass rumble from the xm4, the bass is still there and hits hard but lacks that xm4 bass out the box. They went for more of a conservative effort this time, I think most will like the sound signature. It's more of a different offering from the xm4 sound wise than a progression of it. Different not better or better but different lol

IMG_8703.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #57 of 1,029
Available in Belgium as from Aug, 1 and I have them on pre order as well. Shall pick them up at retailer next week. I used to have the XM4 but the warmth & low end was a bit too imposing for me. Probably these will be more to my liking.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #58 of 1,029
Available in Belgium as from Aug, 1 and I have them on pre order as well. Shall pick them up at retailer next week. I used to have the XM4 but the warmth & low end was a bit too imposing for me. Probably these will be more to my liking.
Sounds like you’ll prefer this version! I like the warmth and low end, it was fun and engaging and that’s what I’m after when out and about.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #59 of 1,029
Sounds like you’ll prefer this version! I like the warmth and low end, it was fun and engaging and that’s what I’m after when out and about.
You cerainly got yours quick. My grey/silver ones should ship from Sony this week.

Got my Z1R (with BTR7) as bass monsters so hoping this more balanced like my M9's.

I also would like a bit less low end than the XM4.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #60 of 1,029
IMG_0245.JPG

I really like the smaller size, more comfortable fit for me. Although XM4 also worked for me :)

The buds are easier to remove from the case now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back