Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,491 of 2,999
I'm on my third pair of these in a month. They're comfortable enough to wear for a whole work day, the battery life is excellent and the sound is great after a bit of EQ.

But the quality control is awful

-play/pause function keeps breaking requiring restart in case
-buds go into mono mode when auto power off is active and can only be fixed with restart
-connection with LG TV drops after 2 minutes

One last try. There are currently 400+ pairs on Amazon Warehouse. With that many returns, how can they make any money on these?
Don’t know. I’ve had mine since the day they came out with no problems at all

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #2,492 of 2,999
Sep 29, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,494 of 2,999
Just bought XM4's yesterday and did some EQ. They were sounding OK, but not great with the included hybrid tips. Now, as my Spinfits / Final Audio / Sednaearfit have not arrived yet, I put the silicone tips from the Tripowin Olina's and they sound DRAMATICALLY better. As if the original tips would have worsened the sound quite a lot. In that regard, how would you compare the XM4's to wired IEM's in the 100-200 USD region? Does anyone have SpinFit W1's on them, I wonder if they fit as they are indicated for 5mm and the nozzle of the XM4's is just a tiny bit below that.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #2,496 of 2,999
All three of the pairs I've tried are the European version made in May 22. I'm wondering if my Amazon store has a bad batch.
Could be. Mine are from Amazon.UK on the day of launch

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,497 of 2,999
After listening to a few wired IEM's for a certain time, I have been trying out Sony's XM4's since yesterday, EQ'ed inside the Sony app. I must say: they really sound good with the right tips and I don't feel as if there was a huge difference in terms of overall sound quality compared to my S12's for instance (did some A/B testing). With the standard tips (foam/silicone hybrid) the sound was not as good (even though the ANC was better, but I don't care that much about maximum ANC performance). Now I use silicone tips that were included with my S12's (waiting for a few other types of tips to try out).

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #2,498 of 2,999
Is anyone interested in trying previous firmware versions? For example I am curious about the sound in previous firmware updates.

I used a tool made for this some time ago. Now I found it again, but newer devices also require a modified Headphones app. I couldn't find a modified version of the app, so I modified it myself using a script provided on the source page of the tool: https://github.com/lzghzr/MDR_Proxy

The tool would sit in the middle, intercepting requests to the SONY update server, and then changing stuff in order to trigger the update in the Headphones app.

With recent devices they've changed from HTTP requests to HTTPS ones, which also requires that the Headphones app has some different certificates regarding these HTTPS requests to the SONY update server, so that the tool could intercept the HTTPS request. Without the modified app, the app would not be able to intercept the update check requests.

The tool comes with the ability to trigger the reinstall of the latest firmware, to install a certain firmware file (for installing older versions, for example), or to change the region. Newer devices are using the same firmware file for all regions however, so this does nothing other than just reinstalling the latest available firmware update. There is also a library of older (and current) firmware versions for all devices for downgrading.

for WF-1000XM4, for example

I translated the text in the tool to English (I also added more details about each function), and I renamed the folders in the library from the codename of the device to the actual name of the device that we know them by (for example MDRID294800 to WF-1000XM4).

I will post it soon on my blog and I'll share a link to it here.

Here is the firmware downgrade/sidegrade tool: MDR Proxy

If you didn't have issues with the previous 1.3.3 version, and you liked the more bassy sound signature for example, here's your chance to go back :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #2,499 of 2,999
Just got these on a whim to compare to my PI7 and my Beoplay EX. Some thoughts in comparison:
- I haven't had a chance to really play with the EQ settings but initial feeling is that I like the sound quality of my Beoplay EXs the best. They are pretty good but the mid range and upper mid range sounds sound harsh fuzzy to my ear.
- I use them with spin fits which makes them more comfortable for my ears than the tips they came with. Even with this they are a little uncomfortable over time.
- I will say that the app and overall integration is nice and the QoL features are very slick!

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,500 of 2,999
Been playing with these more and found the vocal preset with a little additional bump to the highest band to be satisfying

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #2,501 of 2,999
I need some help guys.
Ok my partner brought me these wf-1000xm4.
My problem is ear pain, small stock foam too small no noise canc.... tinny sound.
Medium tips. Virtually same problem.
Large tips. Good isolation, sounds amazing, but.... can’t use for more than 30 mins, feels like pressure, then ear ache. Which then starts to hurt, then follows an headache behind my eyes.

Looked online I heard that spinfit cp360 might work.
So I bought them.
Spinfit cp360

Medium tip poor isolation tinny sound.
Large tip good isolation better comfort, but sound has changed, lost bass with increase in high freq....
Love the sound of these ear buds but. Ohhh

Help?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,502 of 2,999
I need some help guys.
Ok my partner brought me these wf-1000xm4.
My problem is ear pain, small stock foam too small no noise canc.... tinny sound.
Medium tips. Virtually same problem.
Large tips. Good isolation, sounds amazing, but.... can’t use for more than 30 mins, feels like pressure, then ear ache. Which then starts to hurt, then follows an headache behind my eyes.

Looked online I heard that spinfit cp360 might work.
So I bought them.
Spinfit cp360

Medium tip poor isolation tinny sound.
Large tip good isolation better comfort, but sound has changed, lost bass with increase in high freq....
Love the sound of these ear buds but. Ohhh

Help?
I don't see the problem. Also have Spinfit CP360, also use the large size. I like the sound - these + EQ = Awesome sound.
I agree - the stock tips are awful. The CP360 reduce about 20% the NC but it's ok 'cause they are very comfortable.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,503 of 2,999
I don't see the problem. Also have Spinfit CP360, also use the large size. I like the sound - these + EQ = Awesome sound.
I agree - the stock tips are awful. The CP360 reduce about 20% the NC but it's ok 'cause they are very comfortable.
I agree... find the tips that fit best and then EQ the sound through the Sony app or with something like Wavelet.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,504 of 2,999

Hooo. Can you give me advice on equalizer settings ?
I really like there Sony,
Should I use sony music app or hrmm I think I have dbpower amp on my android,

Mfire
Iam new to earbuds. Need to learn.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2,505 of 2,999
Hooo. Can you give me advice on equalizer settings ?
I really like there Sony,
Should I use sony music app or hrmm I think I have dbpower amp on my android,

Mfire
Iam new to earbuds. Need to learn.
Using the Sony app to eq stores the eq settings in the buds so it works no matter what source you the connect the buds to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back