Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,461 of 2,999
Nothing to thank. He’s not deaf. You’re judgmental and negative. Got it
Stop acting as a censor, get it.

You interpret a humours comment (with smiley) incorrectly.

Purely technical, a woofer has a single purpose to generate bass. No way a low powered IEM creates more bass, simple fact (unless broken, set incorrectly or room too large for woofer).

Goodbye.

PS, of course he's not deaf 🙄

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,462 of 2,999
Maybe your hearings gone 😄

They most certainly don't sound as good as my KEF LS50WII plus woofer !

Great for wireless convenience sure.
Most people thrash the nuts out of there subwoofers,, the louder the bang and rumble the better right? and yeah my sub can blow away the sony earbuds anyday if the sub is setup totally wrong..

But, its taken me a good month to get the sub sounding perfect to me with the main speakers so all the bass sounds like its coming from the speakers and not the sub. I have the bass slightly infront of everything else so to notice and feel the punchy bass, while still keeping the vocals and everything else crystal clear, so you can hear a pin drop if needs be,,, My subwoofer is not set up properly though as a subwoofer is only ment to produce the low frequencies that your main speakers cant and not really suppose to enhance the frequncies of the main speakers at all... And this is why alot of people blows and bottoms out there subs because they cant resist the banging and shaking of window frames, plus ruining the sound quality thats coming from the main speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,463 of 2,999
Most people thrash the nuts out of there subwoofers,, the louder the banging and rumbling the better right and yeah my sub can blow my earbuds anyday if I set up my subwoofer totally wrong..

But, its taken me a good month to get the sub sounding perfect to me with the main speakers so all the bass sounds like its coming from the speakers and not the sub. I have the bass slightly infront of everything else so to notice and feel the punchy bass, while still keeping the vocals and everything else crystal clear, so you can hear a pin drop if needs be,,, My subwoofer is not set up properly though as a subwoofer is only ment to produce the low frequencies that your main speakers cant if set up properly and not really suppose to enhance the frequncies of the main speakers..
I'm a noob with speakers so I got the KEF LS50WII and paired it with a KEF Kube 8b as the software then configures them together optimally without me knowing anything.

About £2,700 so similar price to yours.

Hope you took my little comment in the jest it was intended 🙂

I have the Sony buds too and find them excellent, inc. bass.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,464 of 2,999
I'm a noob with speakers so I got the KEF LS50WII and paired it with a KEF Kube 8b as the software then configures them together optimally without me knowing anything.

About £2,700 so similar price to yours.

Hope you took my little comment in the jest it was intended 🙂

I have the Sony buds too and find them excellent, inc. bass.
No wrorries at all,, The amp is a yamaha 7.1 surround sound, Monitor Audio RS floor standing speakers with the BK XLS200 10" sub, and it all sounds amazing together for music. But havent used it for a good few years as it takes up quite a bit of room and to me these sony buds do sound as good, plus I dont desturb anyone either.......You can just see the sub behind the left speaker, Im using the sub as a foot stool atm,, hehe
DSCF4648.JPG

DSCF4647.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #2,465 of 2,999
according to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec)
"When the codec is set to 16 bits/44.1kHz at 909 kbps (or 16 bits/48kHz at 990 kbps) LDAC can stream lossless audio that is identical in quality to (or slightly higher than) Audio CD."

so if I go into Developer Options and force it to 990/909kbps and 44.1khz 16 bit, does that mean I get lossless bit perfect audio, at least for CD quality ?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #2,466 of 2,999
Glad to see this thread is not archived yet.
I've got a question for the fellow XM4 owners - do you know where to get some tips for these, specifically like the OEM ones? I've been using mine for the better part of an year now and they're trashed, more or less. Sony original parts suppliers have them but the problem is they're too expensive IMO (1 pair for $25).
I don't mind buying from Ali or the likes as long as I get something more or less like the original tips.
Living in Europe, so shipping from the US is not ideal but it'll work if nothing else.

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,467 of 2,999
according to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec)
"When the codec is set to 16 bits/44.1kHz at 909 kbps (or 16 bits/48kHz at 990 kbps) LDAC can stream lossless audio that is identical in quality to (or slightly higher than) Audio CD."

so if I go into Developer Options and force it to 990/909kbps and 44.1khz 16 bit, does that mean I get lossless bit perfect audio, at least for CD quality ?
I'm not an expert at the field but I can speak from what little experience I have with LDAC.
So, assuming you want to use an Android phone as the source and that you have some flacs locally, instead of using a streaming service, the short answer is - yes, kind of.
The more nuanced answer is that it highly depends on your connection quality and phone.
The unfortunate thing is that you can't really force LDAC to use only one specific bitrate easily. If you toggle it in the dev options, it'll revert to whatever it wants when you connect your headphones. The way I found to do it is to have the Sony music center companion app and there is a settingfor high quality on the codec in there that sticks, but you have to have two apps, it's a hassle.
LDAC, especially at 900kbps, is a bit flakey, meaning that sometimes even something like putting my phone in my pocket can drop the connection, and if you're in a noisy environment (lots of 2.4Ghz signals around) you won't be able to stream anything, let alone CD quality.
All that being said, back to your question. If the stars align, you can stream lossless CD quality, probably not bit perfect but it can do it.
For more reading on the topic, I suggest this article

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #2,468 of 2,999
Hello everyone, I own a pair of WF 1000XM4's and I am happy with their performance so far
the only problem is that they dont fit quite right in my ears and it gets really painful after awhile
I was thinking of getting long tips like these for them, to get them to sit 'higher' from my earlobes and minimize contact
1660645528632.png
Is there such a thing?
I've used these on other earphones. They are a longer tip

https://www.amazon.com/eProaudios-ePro-Horn-Shaped-Ear-Tips/dp/B07S82M9PG

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2,469 of 2,999
Glad to see this thread is not archived yet.
I've got a question for the fellow XM4 owners - do you know where to get some tips for these, specifically like the OEM ones? I've been using mine for the better part of an year now and they're trashed, more or less. Sony original parts suppliers have them but the problem is they're too expensive IMO (1 pair for $25).
I don't mind buying from Ali or the likes as long as I get something more or less like the original tips.
Living in Europe, so shipping from the US is not ideal but it'll work if nothing else.
You could try tennmak strong foams. Not identical but they'll last.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #2,470 of 2,999
Hello everyone, I just noticed that if I turn on LDAC in the Bluetooth options for my WF1000XM4 , the DSEE icon disappears from the Headphones app...
If I go into Developer Options and manually select the Bluetooth audio bitrate to 48khz or 44.1khz , the DSEE icon comes back... but selecting these bitrates causes the sound to be slightly muffled at the high frequencies

Is there something being done with the sound, either a highpass filter on the 44.1 and 48khz bitrates, or some kind of EQ or other processing going on with 88.2 and 96khz ?(I am listening to an internet radio station which certainly would not have any audio higher than 44.1khz)
and why does DSEE not work at the higher bitrates?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,472 of 2,999
very good, only cavet is battery life,. can't wait to see the 4 with better AC and battery life, as for the sound bluetooth quality can go so far.
Mine last over 9 hours with anc and eq active

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,473 of 2,999
Hello everyone, I own a pair of WF 1000XM4's and I am happy with their performance so far
the only problem is that they dont fit quite right in my ears and it gets really painful after awhile
I was thinking of getting long tips like these for them, to get them to sit 'higher' from my earlobes and minimize contact

Is there such a thing?
I am using the Sony tips that came with my MDR55XB. They work great.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #2,475 of 2,999
I bought a returned set of WF-1000XM4s from a Belgian retailer. They had a recurrent problem where the sound would suddenly go into mono. I found a workaround on reddit - deactivate auto power off and stereo returned immediately. The only other solution was a factory reset every time. That's not convenient, so I sent them back and got a new pair from Amazon. All well for the first 5 days, then in the middle of a loud symphony, the soundstage vanished. Mono was back and the same fix worked. Deactivate auto power off.

I decided to replace my XM3s with the new model for two reasons only: water resistance and battery life. They sound a bit worse and are slightly less comfortable, and I can live with that for the extra convenience but I'd like to know if this is an issue other than one reddit post and me. Both devices were manufactured in May 2022. Could this be a rogue batch with a hardware fault or is this software?

I have contacted Sony but no reply yet. I have another 25 days to get a refund and I'll do that I suppose and keep the Galaxy Buds Pro I'm also testing (IPX7 and better battery life vs XM3... better sound quality vs XM4 but much worse battery life, as well as less comfortable and much worse ANC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back