Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,221 of 2,999
Just got these. I had the WF-XM3 previously, and they were fine to be honest. I was curious about the LDAC support and the better noise cancelling.

My impression is that the sound is definitely better. The bass is more controlled and textured, and while treble may be reduced a little, you can easily use their EQ function. Also, the soundstage feels bigger.

Really nice! I'm using the stock tips (the biggest ones).

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,222 of 2,999
One more thing I noticed is that the sound signature doesn't seem to be different while using the ambient sound mode like on the XM3.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,223 of 2,999
This is the EQ I'm using:
Screenshot_20220221-162359_Headphones.jpg

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #2,224 of 2,999
Sent my defective XM4 back last week, got my brand new pair today, shipped from Cali to NJ via 2day by Sony, but no signature required, which was weird. These came with the latest 1.3.3 firmware installed already. I have a Pixel 6 Pro and my previous pair would usually only connect on the right side first, then I'd have to disconnect and reconnect first, these connected properly from the first try. Hopefully a sign of good luck! I had returned the first pair for battery issues. The one side would come out of the case and then die after 5-10 min of play, while the other was 100% charged. This happened multiple times and that was my RMA reason.

Luckily I had the Senn MTW2 to hold me over for a week.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2,226 of 2,999
This is my EQ setting, but without using noise cancelling, so thats why it looks quite bassy, as noise cancelling increases the bass quite a lot

IMG_0008.PNG
May just be me but if you are EQ'ing that much it might be time for a different pair of buds

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,227 of 2,999
May just be me but if you are EQ'ing that much it might be time for a different pair of buds
No, like I said I dont use noise cancelling 99% of the time and theres so much more bass with noise cancelling enabled.. So with noise cancelling disabled you have to increase the bass and low/mid freq to get the same sound.... Try it, the sound signiture sounds much different disabling/enabling noise cancelling...,

Maybe I should start using noise cancelling, but I havent really any need to use it, as the tips do a great job of blocking out the noise.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,228 of 2,999
Well i Give up on these as this is my third pair that has developed this popping sound from the bud, I am sick of getting these replaced and i think Sony have either a build quality problem or a design flaw.

I am going back to my STM2 and i will wait for the third version which is coming April this year as i just tried to give these ago and would have kept and used them, as they are a great wireless set but the shoddy hardware problems is a joke for such a large company and i have owned many IEM over the years and never had this sort of problem, and to have three sets all do it after a couple of weeks is just a joke

so, hope you all enjoy your sonys headset but i am out.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #2,229 of 2,999
Well i Give up on these as this is my third pair that has developed this popping sound from the bud, I am sick of getting these replaced and i think Sony have either a build quality problem or a design flaw.
I can see how this is super frustrating, having to go through multiple RMA requests.
But it's also interesting how this has happened to you three times now. I wonder if Sony with come with some kind of a statement acknowledging the problem, but I don't think I've seen many people with the same. At this point it can't be just bad luck.

In any case, I hope you are happy with your MTW2 and I hope you are right about a new one this April.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,230 of 2,999
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,231 of 2,999
I can see how this is super frustrating, having to go through multiple RMA requests.
But it's also interesting how this has happened to you three times now. I wonder if Sony with come with some kind of a statement acknowledging the problem, but I don't think I've seen many people with the same. At this point it can't be just bad luck.

In any case, I hope you are happy with your MTW2 and I hope you are right about a new one this April.
I just get how this could happen three times after a couple of weeks. The only thing I can think of Sony started using a different supplies because of shortages and may have used a sub standard part or Materials. I Have read that others have had the same problem but not many. You can not hear it when playing music so maybe people don’t notice it but I do as I use the headsets for talking a lot.

The new mtw3 are out next month and if they improve the sound a little bit
But have have Sony anc
better call quality
Better eq settings in app
they will blow the Sonys out the water.

But I do like the Sonys but I am only willing to take so much before I give up. I am totally Surprised how I have had this problem but there you go

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #2,232 of 2,999
Ill finally be picking up my replacement xm4 from the service center today. Which is actually a perfect time since i just recently lost my left xm3 bud. Hope this time its actually usable.

Mar 13, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2,233 of 2,999
This has been an ongoing issue with the Sony's and my Pixel 5 and now my Pixel 6 Pro. When I connect only one bud plays sound like half the time. I have to choose to play the music through the phone then go back to the Sony's and then it works fine. But if I then go to text someone and use the voice to text, half the time the music starts back up, again only one bud is connected. Sometimes pausing the music and unpausing fixes it as well.

I will try AAC because some folks says that mostly fixes the issue. However LDAC definitely sounds better - I use the Adaptive Bitrate LDAC setting and it sounds great, but this one bud connecting thing is driving me nuts. Does not happen with my MTW2.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #2,234 of 2,999
I have had three sets of Sony ear buds because of the faults and I now have given up and going to sell them. Sony quality control is just garbage. Went back to my mtw2 and not had one problem with them. Waiting for the reviews of the mtw3 but Sony need to really get there act together with quality control With the xm5 as the xm4 are now a lost cause because they have been out to long.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #2,235 of 2,999
I have had three sets of Sony ear buds because of the faults and I now have given up and going to sell them. Sony quality control is just garbage. Went back to my mtw2 and not had one problem with them. Waiting for the reviews of the mtw3 but Sony need to really get there act together with quality control With the xm5 as the xm4 are now a lost cause because they have been out to long.
Amazingly bad results for you! My XM4s which I bought within a couple of days of launch, on the other hand, have worked very well (albeit with a glitch here and there) since day one.

I hope that you find a great TWS that will thrill you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back