Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,966 of 2,999
Just a heads up guys/girls, I have been listening to the buds for 7 hours continuously (BMC Codec) without ANC and the Ambient mode enabled every so often.. The battery level has only dropped to 59% on the left and 56% on the right.
I get over 10 hours aac with anc and eq enabled

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,967 of 2,999
The xm4 will only discharge the battery in the case as much as needed and stop charging. The case will trickle charge the xm4 if needed. I have kept my xm4 in the case from a couple of days to a couple of weeks at a time after use and the batteries in the case never drains itself.
Thanks for the reply. I will try to check this. I like the sound of these earphones (adjusted with eq), it would be a bit unfortunate to return them ...

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #1,968 of 2,999
My pleasure!. You should try the Crystal if you don't mind with the more intimate soundstage or you could stick with the foam ones, but you are going to replace them every 3-4 months (depending on the usage), one more thing the foam tips have better timbres on the upper frequencies compared to the crystal.
Yes, that's the problem of the foam tips, they eventually deteriorate! I never roll them in my fingers though before inserting; I just push them in by pulling the outer ear upwards for a deeper insertion. They may last little longer like that... What is unique with these particular foam tips of Sony is that even though you hear zero ambient sound with ANC on, offering also very good passive isolation, at the same time they do not seem to block your ear like silicon does. As a result you end up with the unique feeling of having open ears without hearing ambient sounds! I don't know how Sony did it, but I think this is why these tips seem to kind of widen the soundstage as well.

Generally speaking the XM4 are very good TW earbuds with a really good sound profile for my taste (I have traditionally been liking the Sony house sound). They have much wider, deeper and more detailed sound than Bose, APP etc. I just want to compare them with the new Beats Fit Pro on iPhone, but those still have not been available in Europe.

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,969 of 2,999
Xm4 sound flat .. Has no sub bas and no trouble...just flat sound peuple who like v sound dont buy. No bass quality...not even think you see high after 10k.
I agree with this! I found they were a big step backwards for Sony. Almost non-existant treble and bass that rolls off quickly below 40hz.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,970 of 2,999
Thanks for the reply. I will try to check this. I like the sound of these earphones (adjusted with eq), it would be a bit unfortunate to return them ...
I can confirm what the previous comments said about charging. These are very intelligent in how they manage their own battery so that every time you take them out of the case they're full but if you store them in the case for a few days/weeks they will intentionally not charge from the case.
The only way to 'turn them off completely' is to put them in the case and not worry about them.
Also, the paper thingy is to prevent them from Bluetooth scan and trying to pair to everything while they're shipping, so you can get them and not need to charge them out of the box

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,971 of 2,999
I agree with this! I found they were a big step backwards for Sony. Almost non-existant treble and bass that rolls off quickly below 40hz.
Surely it must either be defective units or bad seal

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,974 of 2,999
I can definitely hear 20hz on XM4 with this track Headphone test :D
I’ve tried various headphone frequency tests and on all I hear from 20hz to about 15-16khz on the XM4 which according to my audiologist is about my hearing range at 60 years old

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,976 of 2,999
When you put the case on charge with the buds in the case overnight, whats the battery level of the case the following morning, as Ive only ever seen mine at 91%?
Mine is always 100%

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,977 of 2,999
Both Azla Crystal and the Sony foam have a warmer sound compare to other tips, but the Sony ones have wider soundstage, better depth, and the bass digs deeper with better textures. Unfortunately the Sony foam is very uncomfortable (it's get itchy very quickly), soo they are the last option for me.

Here's my EQ for the Sony foam tips.
Thanks for that. Just got the Sony and I am jumping from the Sony and Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2. I have had thr SMTW2 for a few weeks and love them and the Sonys sounded awful until I put your settings In. Seems to make the vocals shine and keeps everything tight but with base depth. I did enable Dsse extreme auto as well.

The more I listen and play with the Sonys the more the SMTW2 sound lost still good at crisp vocals but these stings have made a big difference.

The only thing I am not to sure on the foam tips as I have used comply for years on my westones and got abit sick of buying them all the time. I have been told to try and get some Spin fit ( cp145) by a very good person on here. He has helped me a lot his settings for these where

2,5k+1 up 6,3k +3 and 16k +6 ( to get rid of the muffled stock sound )
clear bass 5 DSEE on (extreme)

But yours seems to clean it up more.

What u using for your tips and settings. Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,980 of 2,999
Happy holidays fellow head-fiers!

I've tried a bunch of tips including Spinfit CP145 (M but they seem to fit loose), some random Radioshack ones, and landed on the Spiral Dot (M).

So my question now, do I stick with the Spiral Dots or go further down the rabbit hole?!

From reading the thread, I now have in my Amazon cart:

SpinFit CP360 (L/M) — are they any different from the CP145?
AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal (S/MS/M) — are these the tacky rubber like the XELASTEC? Not sure how I feel about them.
Final Audio Type E (M)

Will it be diminishing returns, should I even bother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back