Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,921 of 2,999
As I only use tws while out and about in ambient noise the finer details are lost anyways so aac from my iPhone is plenty good enough for me
Seconded. When out and about, suddenly the XM4’s warm, bass-focused tuning, so maligned by some, starts to sound exactly right as well.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,922 of 2,999
As I only use tws while out and about in ambient noise the finer details are lost anyways so aac from my iPhone is plenty good enough for me, but yes the XM4 sound better with the same files in flac and with 990kb ldac from my Sony A55 in a quiet environment but there I always use better wired phones.
Ok. Well, a number of people say they can hear no difference, and I always say because they don't know what they are listening for. A good bass line makes up gor a lot to a lot of people. They don't know what they're missing cuz they can still bop to the music, so they "feel" there is no difference

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #1,923 of 2,999
Im a bit anal about sound, as I have floor standing speakers and a subwoofer and it took me like over a month to get the sound to my liking. I like the bass just infront of everything else but still keeping the mids and highs crisp and clear... Then you have a nice punchy clear bass with amazing crystal clear vocals for those bassy/dance tracks. Plus if you have the bass slightly louder or infront of the mids/highs, you dont need it turned up that loud to get the awesome full sound.

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,924 of 2,999
Anyone have any thoughts on these compared to the TWM2 as I find the ANC on them not the best At all. Every review I found seems to say the TMW2 have the better music playback Than the Sony is this true

I also noticed with the TMW2 that Apple Music sounds far better than Spotify even with Spotify settings all set to high. I see they use a different compressor to apple but use 356kbps where’s apple use 256kbps. Surprised that apples sound better

cheers

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,925 of 2,999
Does anyone else find that the beeps when tapping one of the buds are very hard to hear? Often I just hear the THUMP of my finger hitting the bud, and not the beep, which makes me unsure I have managed to hit the touch sensitive area. Then I will of course notice if what I was trying to do actually happens, but for example when switching between noise cancelling and ambient mode there's a rather significant delay before you hear the voice confirming the mode, so without hearing the beep I just have to wait and see. Bit annoying.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,926 of 2,999
Does anyone else find that the beeps when tapping one of the buds are very hard to hear? Often I just hear the THUMP of my finger hitting the bud, and not the beep, which makes me unsure I have managed to hit the touch sensitive area. Then I will of course notice if what I was trying to do actually happens, but for example when switching between noise cancelling and ambient mode there's a rather significant delay before you hear the voice confirming the mode, so without hearing the beep I just have to wait and see. Bit annoying.
Strange, I'd say the audio queues for tapping the sensors are adequately loud. I've never missed any. I don't know if you can change the volume on those either.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #1,927 of 2,999
@nc8000
Hello, just one question; I use the older Sony hybrid soft silicon tips (just silicon) with my XM4. Those tips were included with older Sony wired iems and they have been always the most comfortable silicon eartips I have ever used. But in the case of XM4 I think their hole is smaller so it seems they do not keep the bore of the XM4 wide open. What can be the resulting sound out of it? Thanks.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #1,928 of 2,999
@nc8000
Hello, just one question; I use the older Sony hybrid soft silicon tips (just silicon) with my XM4. Those tips were included with older Sony wired iems and they have been always the most comfortable silicon eartips I have ever used. But in the case of XM4 I think their hole is smaller so it seems they do not keep the bore of the XM4 wide open. What can be the resulting sound out of it? Thanks.
Probably a reduction/restriction of the treble but I have not tried those tips. I use Sedna Crystal tips on my XM4 and have used Final E tips as well

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,930 of 2,999
@nc8000
I'm using those tips. They make the sound super smooth and naturally warm. I like them.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,931 of 2,999
I'm using those tips. They make the sound super smooth and naturally warm. I like them.
Yes true, and they have always been super comfortable to me. I was just wondering regarding narrowing the sound bore, but I may guess since they are silicon even if treble gets reduced as @nc8000 correctly points out, the effect will not have an extreme influence on the XM4's sound as that of the included foam tips, which I dislike by the way...

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,932 of 2,999
Strange, I'd say the audio queues for tapping the sensors are adequately loud. I've never missed any. I don't know if you can change the volume on those either.

I can hear them (but very softly) if I lightly touch the bud, but not really if I give them a proper tap. The sound of my finger hitting the bud gets beamed right into my ear canal, masking the beep.

I don't have any volume issues in general, I usually keep the volume at about 40%, or at most around 50 in noisier environments (the ANC is good, but not THAT good).

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #1,933 of 2,999
Anyone have any thoughts on these compared to the TWM2 as I find the ANC on them not the best At all. Every review I found seems to say the TMW2 have the better music playback Than the Sony is this true

I also noticed with the TMW2 that Apple Music sounds far better than Spotify even with Spotify settings all set to high. I see they use a different compressor to apple but use 356kbps where’s apple use 256kbps. Surprised that apples sound better

cheers
Spotify Web Player: 128kbps AAC for free/256kbps AAC for Premium

Desktop/Mobile App: 160kbps High for free/320kbps Very High for Premium all using Ogg Vorbis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back