Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,906 of 2,999
Had my XM4 for two days and absolutely love them. Used quite a few true wireless earbuds over the years with most recent pair being Jabra 75t. I had to send them back due to developing a fault. Jabra replaced them with the 85t, but by that point I had already decided to go with the XM4 and I’m so happy with my decision. I was bit concerned about fit before they arrived as I have quite small ears. I haven’t tried the other tips yet, but the M fit perfectly and the buds don’t even slip out during workout.

Sound wise to my ears they sound great out the box, noticeably wider soundstage and more detail when compared to 75t. Also tried some BT lossless streaming paired with WM1A over LDAC and I’m so impressed. Even at volume they still show loads of control during playback. These will only sound better given time. Really pleased

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,907 of 2,999
Had my XM4 for two days and absolutely love them. Used quite a few true wireless earbuds over the years with most recent pair being Jabra 75t. I had to send them back due to developing a fault. Jabra replaced them with the 85t, but by that point I had already decided to go with the XM4 and I’m so happy with my decision. I was bit concerned about fit before they arrived as I have quite small ears. I haven’t tried the other tips yet, but the M fit perfectly and the buds don’t even slip out during workout.

Sound wise to my ears they sound great out the box, noticeably wider soundstage and more detail when compared to 75t. Also tried some BT lossless streaming paired with WM1A over LDAC and I’m so impressed. Even at volume they still show loads of control during playback. These will only sound better given time. Really pleased

LDAC isn't lossless, but it's pretty nice.

Edit: I guess if you force the highest bitrate it is. I thought it was still lossy since the max bitrate is still significantly lower than CD audio, but I guess it's lossless compression.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,908 of 2,999
LDAC isn't lossless, but it's pretty nice.

Edit: I guess if you force the highest bitrate it is. I thought it was still lossy since the max bitrate is still significantly lower than CD audio, but I guess it's lossless compression.
Yes,but it‘s a noticeable improvement over AAC especially where lossless audio is concerned

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,910 of 2,999
Yes,but it‘s a noticeable improvement over AAC especially where lossless audio is concerned
AAC is transparent to my ears to lossless on my iPhone. I wouldn't be able to pass an AB test for the life of me if I tried to.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,912 of 2,999
Hey

I often find that the connection is broken on the street. Even when there is no wind and no one around me. As soon as I get on a bus / tram or I'm in a room the error disappears. I try a lot of players, all with this problem.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,913 of 2,999
Hey

I often find that the connection is broken on the street. Even when there is no wind and no one around me. As soon as I get on a bus / tram or I'm in a room the error disappears. I try a lot of players, all with this problem.
I’ve never had a dropped/broken connection in over 2 years with XM3 and XM4 from an iPhone

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #1,914 of 2,999
Hey

If you're on android and using LDAC, it could have something to do with that. At high bitrate it sometimes can have a bad connection from just your phone sitting in your pocket if your jeans are thicker. Happens to me sometimes.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #1,915 of 2,999
If you're on android and using LDAC, it could have something to do with that. At high bitrate it sometimes can have a bad connection from just your phone sitting in your pocket if your jeans are thicker. Happens to me sometimes.
Seconded.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,916 of 2,999
I'm away from my Sony ZX300 Walkman for about a month. How much better does the WF-1000XM4 sound with LDAC+ZX300 .flac than an iPhone Spotify? It is noticeable?

The product is excellent but I was expecting better with SQ and NC. I purchased the 360spin(?) tips and it could be the seal that's letting in sound even though they fit perfectly. I'm guessing some type of foam tip that expands would create better NC.

The overall design is luxurious to me and the case is very light which was their intention. The way they fit upside down in your ear makes them very comfortable, surprisingly.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,917 of 2,999
I'm away from my Sony ZX300 Walkman for about a month. How much better does the WF-1000XM4 sound with LDAC+ZX300 .flac than an iPhone Spotify? It is noticeable?

The product is excellent but I was expecting better with SQ and NC. I purchased the 360spin(?) tips and it could be the seal that's letting in sound even though they fit perfectly. I'm guessing some type of foam tip that expands would create better NC.

The overall design is luxurious to me and the case is very light which was their intention. The way they fit upside down in your ear makes them very comfortable, surprisingly.
Foam will always isolate better than silicone but may affect sq negatively. Also ldac at highest bit rate from lossless files will sound better than aac with lossy files but to my use in transport with a fair bit of ambient noise the difference isen’t really audible, aac on iPhone really is good. And anc don’t create a noise free vaccume but with music playing at 40-50% volume I don’t really notice much outside sound

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,918 of 2,999

I’ve only had my XM4s for a week, but none of the Sony hybrid foam tips were large enough for my ginormous canals. I bought XL Spinfit CP360s and CP100s, the latter as they have a slightly greater shaft length in case I needed them into my canals a bit more. The 360s gave a good seal and I found the ANC worked just fine. But the CP100s work equally well and without affecting SQ but they are more comfortable. I stopped using Complys a few years ago as I found they weren’t as comfortable as silicone tips after awhile. I flew for work before I retired so used earbuds a lot then. Now I mostly use them while walking (too old to run :wink: ) these days and I find the XM4s and the CP100s a perfect combo. People with smaller ears and canals, won’t have my issues.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,919 of 2,999
AAC is transparent to my ears to lossless on my iPhone. I wouldn't be able to pass an AB test for the life of me if I tried to.
Focus on treble detail/extension when you listen. Try again with that as the focus and see if you hear a difference

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,920 of 2,999
Focus on treble detail/extension when you listen. Try again with that as the focus and see if you hear a difference
As I only use tws while out and about in ambient noise the finer details are lost anyways so aac from my iPhone is plenty good enough for me, but yes the XM4 sound better with the same files in flac and with 990kb ldac from my Sony A55 in a quiet environment but there I always use better wired phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back