Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,801 of 2,999
I'm so torn between XM4s and Airpods Pro. XM4s are technically better however I can't get voices to sound natural. I can't seem to hear the sub bass as clearly on XM4s as it takes a back seat to that phat mid bass. This could be a double edged sword when wearing these in noisy environments - I suspect the APP will struggle with bass in that scenario.

I dug up the old SE846 as my god tier sound signature and I'm doing A/B testing between the 3 with Shure as reference. Tomorrow is the last day I can return the airpods so decisions need to be made.
Weird question but do you have DSEE on? In my experience it makes voices a little tinny and metal sounding, at least I think it's because of that.
Maybe something to consider.
Otherwise, I suppose it's a matter of preference.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,802 of 2,999
I'm so torn between XM4s and Airpods Pro. XM4s are technically better however I can't get voices to sound natural. I can't seem to hear the sub bass as clearly on XM4s as it takes a back seat to that phat mid bass. This could be a double edged sword when wearing these in noisy environments - I suspect the APP will struggle with bass in that scenario.

I dug up the old SE846 as my god tier sound signature and I'm doing A/B testing between the 3 with Shure as reference. Tomorrow is the last day I can return the airpods so decisions need to be made.
Have you considered (for instance, as there's a few similar ones from different brands) a FiiO UTW5, so that you can use ALL your IEMs as TWS? This way you get to keep probably 98% of their sound quality while making them much more portable at the same time. Not that it's recommended to take the IEMs off the UTWS5 all the time due to potential future connector issues, but you could easily pick your favourite one for being mobile.

drftr

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,803 of 2,999
Have you considered (for instance, as there's a few similar ones from different brands) a FiiO UTW5, so that you can use ALL your IEMs as TWS? This way you get to keep probably 98% of their sound quality while making them much more portable at the same time. Not that it's recommended to take the IEMs off the UTWS5 all the time due to potential future connector issues, but you could easily pick your favourite one for being mobile.

drftr
I was unaware this exists. This is an instant buy for me, thanks! Pretty sure I'll keep the XM4s. Voices sound really good on APP but everything else is caca

Weird question but do you have DSEE on? In my experience it makes voices a little tinny and metal sounding, at least I think it's because of that.
Maybe something to consider.
Otherwise, I suppose it's a matter of preference.

DSEE off however I suspect AAC is holding the XM4s back. Corporates phone so no choice till next year where I could switch to Nexus.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,805 of 2,999
I picked the Shure TW2. SE846 is a little picky with MMCX connectors so Shure would be the safest bet. Much appreciated!

Regarding the AB between APP/XM4 it turns out in my drunken idiocy last night I set a global EQ in Spotify while listening to APP which I forgot about. The EQ had elevated bass which sounded good on APP but terrible on XM4 as it already has elevated bass. I don't want to talk about it!

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,806 of 2,999
I prefer foam with my melomania's as I get a better seal, so the sound is better.
If you like a short/shallow fit (short ear canals/smaller ears) you can use generic foam tips meant for the APP. Thats what I do.

They also unshroud the nozzle opening.

Left APP foam, right Sony foam. Both S size tips pictured.

IMG_20210730_205508.jpg

IMG_20210730_205534.jpg

There is also the ikko/misodiko type foams too. As well as Comply and many other standard style ones. The Tennmak strong foams may be good too for regular style foam tips, as they have a 'skin' on them and will be easier to keep clean and are washable.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,807 of 2,999
Found something interesting. To my ears the XM4 mid range sounds better with wider nozzle tips. I was using the OG Sony Silicone Tips which restrict the nozzle width (bottom left). I think the tips I'm using more are from some Beats wired earbuds I tried in there Apple Store years ago (they let you keep the eartips). Very happy with XM4s now!!! The tips are also very short on the nozzle so comfort is AAA+

[edit] The wide nozzle tips also appear to reduce the bass maybe 2-3db compared to Sony Silicone. Fine by me! [/edit]

Attachments

• 0121EC7D-A67C-4307-907D-6D6F22D9DCFA.jpeg
    0121EC7D-A67C-4307-907D-6D6F22D9DCFA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,808 of 2,999
I get an excellent seal with Final E and Azla SednaEarfits with the XM4, while also being able to shift them towards a more balanced, resolving sound.
I use Final E or Sedna Crystal and while they cost more than foams they last for years, I've yet to wear down a silicone tip

Thanks! Going all in! =]

1. Final Audio Type E
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Silicon-Audio-Technica-Campfire/dp/B07HWS6GFZ/

2. AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC
https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEarfit-XELASTEC-Pairs-Size/dp/B08BRGHYVN/

3. Comply Truegrip
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/truegrip-for-sony-true-wireless

The large hybrid foams in the box fit great in the right ear, but leak sound from my left. Surprisingly, they stay in very well. Can’t wait to have a proper sit down and compare with these!

/grumble, grumble about the $$$

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,809 of 2,999
Thanks! Going all in! =]

1. Final Audio Type E
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Silicon-Audio-Technica-Campfire/dp/B07HWS6GFZ/

3. Comply Truegrip

The large hybrid foams in the box fit great in the right ear, but leak sound from my left. Surprisingly, they stay in very well. Can’t wait to have a proper sit down and compare with these!

I never got on with the Xelastac but like the Crystal

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,810 of 2,999
Found something interesting. To my ears the XM4 mid range sounds better with wider nozzle tips. I was using the OG Sony Silicone Tips which restrict the nozzle width (bottom left). I think the tips I'm using more are from some Beats wired earbuds I tried in there Apple Store years ago (they let you keep the eartips). Very happy with XM4s now!!! The tips are also very short on the nozzle so comfort is AAA+

[edit] The wide nozzle tips also appear to reduce the bass maybe 2-3db compared to Sony Silicone. Fine by me! [/edit]
In general that's how it works: Wider openings mean sloghtly less bass and slightly more highs. But the "slightly" on both ends at the same time makes them a bit less warm and more airy.

drftr

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,811 of 2,999
…drunken idiocy last night I set a global EQ in Spotify while listening to APP which I forgot about.
It could have been a lot worse!

I’ve dropped the case five feet onto the ground getting them in a locker a couple times already. Thankfully they were not in the case, but I did lose my AirPod Pros when they went flying out of my ears. :/ I would be very sad if that happened to the WF XM4’s as they’re so incredibly useful in the gym…especially for ab work.

In general that's how it works: Wider openings mean sloghtly less bass and slightly more highs. But the "slightly" on both ends at the same time makes them a bit less warm and more airy.

drftr
I would be ok with this!

I never got on with the Xelastac but like the Crystal
Awesome, I hope two out of the three don’t work out. :wink:

For my purposes, secure fit’s the end goal, but it would be nice to have the convenience of silicons…and the sonics.

Thanks everybody and go kill this weekend!!!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #1,812 of 2,999

drftr
That’s my experience as well, especially with the Crystal tws that are so short that they are essentially flush with the front of the sound tube

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,813 of 2,999

Agreed.

Wider nozzle helps remove some of the excessive mid-bass 'bloat' and opens up the mids.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,814 of 2,999
Thanks! Going all in! =]

1. Final Audio Type E

3. Comply Truegrip

I might try the Truegrip if I get the xm4s, I guess 3 pairs for £15 isn't too bad........ I might try slicon tips again sometime but I have been put off with them on my melomania's as the seal and sound isnt that great with the silicon tips compared to the foam tips.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,815 of 2,999
I might try the Truegrip if I get the xm4s, I guess 3 pairs for £15 isn't too bad........ I might try slicon tips again sometime but I have been put off with them on my melomania's as the seal and sound isnt that great with the silicon tips compared to the foam tips.
I kinda like the idea posted elsewhere on this thread, that when buying certain very cheap IEMs you fet like 10 pairs of tips to try out. It's the same with certain Sony IEMs actually. Buy them for the tips and give the actual IEMs away or keep them as spares.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back