Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,771 of 2,999
Been using Jabra 65T for work last couple of years. Decided to upgrade to AirPods Pro as they seem to fit my strange ears incredibly well (tried my sister's). I saw people raving about the XM4s and they were on sale $50 off on amazon so I pulled the trigger. Figured I'll A/B test and return the loser. XM4 wins in every category except ergonomics/comfort for me.

Soon as I opened the box I saw foam and immediately reached for my tip drawer. I take earphones in/out frequently between meetings so foam a hard no.

I like the OG Sony Silicone tips the best with Final Audio Type E as a runner up.

Are Spinfit cp360 and Spiral Dots the bees knees with these? My ears seem to like eartips that don't stick out very far from the nozzle, hence the Sony ones ranking quite high for comfort; I think this rules out the spinfits?

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,772 of 2,999
Been using Jabra 65T for work last couple of years. Decided to upgrade to AirPods Pro as they seem to fit my strange ears incredibly well (tried my sister's). I saw people raving about the XM4s and they were on sale $50 off on amazon so I pulled the trigger. Figured I'll A/B test and return the loser. XM4 wins in every category except ergonomics/comfort for me.

Soon as I opened the box I saw foam and immediately reached for my tip drawer. I take earphones in/out frequently between meetings so foam a hard no.

I like the OG Sony Silicone tips the best with Final Audio Type E as a runner up.

Are Spinfit cp360 and Spiral Dots the bees knees with these? My ears seem to like eartips that don't stick out very far from the nozzle, hence the Sony ones ranking quite high for comfort; I think this rules out the spinfits?
I'm using the CP360 and the XM4s are not touching my ears, so yes they do stick out quite a bit. However, this may be due to my ears and I think I've seen pics on this thread of CP360 users that look absolutely fine. Have a quick look at the photo gallery of this thread and you'll probably find them. Must be from about June/July from memory.

drftr

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #1,773 of 2,999
I just tried the Final E TWS tips and fit wise, they are a winner. I used classic epros previously but they stick out of my ear noticeably. Final TWS make the buds sit flush and I really like what I hear.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,775 of 2,999
I've been doing lot of listening between the Sony XM4 and Samsung's Galaxy Buds Pro - got to say the buds have the sony's beat on sound quality and comfort, even at half the price and inferior AAC codec.

Sounwise the buds have a more correct warmish tilted harman tuning (not harsh like default harman), and very little if any dips and peaks in their frequency response - they are exceptionally well tunes, essentially and comfortable neutral-warmish tonality - there's no bass bloat, no etched treble, no rough mids.

The Sony's have a bloated bass tuning, and muted upper treble with some dips and peaks - they are a little tiring to listen to sometimes as their mid bass bloat can get a bit too hard hitting on the old ear drums.

The Sony's seems to have some dsp going on that makes the stereo spread wider, but it sounds a little fake, and at times I get like a mismatch/out of phase between left and right channels. The buds have a more realistic front to back and 3d width that is in displayed in front of me, they sound larger and more realistic for lack of a better word.

Comfort wise the buds are better, they just slot in the ears and don't make themselves felt too much.. unlike the Sony's foam tips which stretch the inside of my ear and cause me discomfort.

So - yeah, Buds are the ultimate audiophile wireless IEMs for me... and this is coming from a Sony fanboy!

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,776 of 2,999
I've been doing lot of listening between the Sony XM4 and Samsung's Galaxy Buds Pro - got to say the buds have the sony's beat on sound quality and comfort, even at half the price and inferior AAC codec.

Sounwise the buds have a more correct warmish tilted harman tuning (not harsh like default harman), and very little if any dips and peaks in their frequency response - they are exceptionally well tunes, essentially and comfortable neutral-warmish tonality - there's no bass bloat, no etched treble, no rough mids.

The Sony's have a bloated bass tuning, and muted upper treble with some dips and peaks - they are a little tiring to listen to sometimes as their mid bass bloat can get a bit too hard hitting on the old ear drums.

The Sony's seems to have some dsp going on that makes the stereo spread wider, but it sounds a little fake, and at times I get like a mismatch/out of phase between left and right channels. The buds have a more realistic front to back and 3d width that is in displayed in front of me, they sound larger and more realistic for lack of a better word.

Comfort wise the buds are better, they just slot in the ears and don't make themselves felt too much.. unlike the Sony's foam tips which stretch the inside of my ear and cause me discomfort.

So - yeah, Buds are the ultimate audiophile wireless IEMs for me... and this is coming from a Sony fanboy!
Interesting how we each hear thing differently. I tried a friends Buds Pro and to my ears and preferences the XM4 were clearly better (with some eq). Hurrah for choice

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,777 of 2,999
Interesting how we each hear thing differently. I tried a friends Buds Pro and to my ears and preferences the XM4 were clearly better (with some eq). Hurrah for choice

I forgot to say that i also use some built in eq with the buds pro - soft setting as i like neutral warm tuning. The Sony is also warm, but the midbass bloat which i couldn't quite remove with its eq without also killing sub bass, and slightly strange phasing issues, and foam tips discomfort i experience puts it down a notch for me in terms of audiophile focus

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,778 of 2,999
I forgot to say that i also use some built in eq with the buds pro - soft setting as i like neutral warm tuning. The Sony is also warm, but the midbass bloat which i couldn't quite remove with its eq without also killing sub bass, and slightly strange phasing issues, and foam tips discomfort i experience puts it down a notch for me in terms of audiophile focus
Interesting I never found the mid bass to be bloated on these (contrary to WH-1000XM4s). yeah the default EQ is not very precise but there's always Wavelet, PowerAMP, UAPP etc.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,779 of 2,999
Any tws is not for audiophile listening for me but solely for transport use in ambient noise which means that outright sq is not at the top of my requirements list anyway. Also I don’t use the stock foam tips but Sedna Earfit Crystal or Final E tips

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,780 of 2,999
Any tws is not for audiophile listening for me but solely for transport use in ambient noise which means that outright sq is not at the top of my requirements list anyway. Also I don’t use the stock foam tips but Sedna Earfit Crystal or Final E tips
Completely agree.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,781 of 2,999
I have both the xm4 and buds pro. The xm4 with the Sony hybrid tips is very smooth sounding with excellent detail retrieval and the excellent soundstage. The buds pro have elevated treble which makes them sound more exciting. They are both excellent in their own ways and I rate them both highly.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,782 of 2,999

Apologies if this was posted previously....

Anyone else used this method? This seems to give me the best fit and seal instead of the pinch, roll and push. The latter have caused the original tips to degrade sooner than I'd expected. Sony sent me a good lot of replacement tips -- which is greatly appreciated and hoping I won't need to go through them.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,783 of 2,999

Anyone else used this method? This seems to give me the best fit and seal instead of the pinch, roll and push. The latter have caused the tips to degrade sooner than I'd expected. Sony sent me a good lot of replacement tips -- which is greatly appreciated and hoping I won't need to go through them.

I've been using this exact method since the mid 2000s to deliver the best seating of my IEMs regardless of the manufacturer. It simply works.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,784 of 2,999

Anyone else used this method? This seems to give me the best fit and seal instead of the pinch, roll and push. The latter have caused the original tips to degrade sooner than I'd expected. Sony sent me a good lot of replacement tips -- which is greatly appreciated and hoping I won't need to go through them.

I’ve never used it but that was the original Etymotics way right from the start in the 90’s

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,785 of 2,999

Used the ear pull method, together with pinch, roll, insert a long time ago when I was still using Comply and Olive tips. Worked great 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back