Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,757 of 2,999
Also try turning off/on your phone's Bluetooth and/or turning off the phone altogether to force a reset. After that, there are also a couple other ways to do a harder reset on the phone. Usually, when a device won't connect to the sound source I want, it's a problem with the device.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,758 of 2,999
I checked and I am on 1.2.6. After resetting it twice I still have the issue. Shold I just exchange it for a new one? Does no one else use these buds with an iPhone? :\
Can confirm that selecting the buds manually as the output is required. I chalk it up to iOS being iOS.

Edit: Actually I found a solution: https://docs.agora.io/en/All/faq/ios_bluetooth#solution

Search for “call audio routing” in the settings.
D8F30340-648B-43D3-877A-77A098818BDF.png

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,760 of 2,999
Can confirm that selecting the buds manually as the output is required. I chalk it up to iOS being iOS.

Edit: Actually I found a solution: https://docs.agora.io/en/All/faq/ios_bluetooth#solution

Search for “call audio routing” in the settings.
I have just tested with my XM3, XM4 and Earin M2 with my iPhone13 Pro on iOS 15.1.

On XM3 and XM4 I can’t answer the call on the bud by touching the right ear piece (or the left) but have to do it with the phone and the sound defaults to the phone speaker and I then manually have to select the bud for sound.

On the Earin M2 I can answer the call by just tapping on the right bud and sound goes directly to the bud. If I answer the call on the phone the sound goes to the phone. This is also how the various cheap Chinese buds and the first B&O bud behaved on previous iPhones and versions of iOS. So the problem seems to be that we can’t answer the call by tapping the XM3 and XM4 buds.

I’m almost sure the XM3 used to behave like the M2 while I don’t think I’ve ever answered a call with the XM4.

And I’m again reminded why I like the M2 so much. They have really good sound, are fantastically smal, the touch controls work well and the ambient mode is smart. However no anc, the mics are not very good (probably due to the tiny size of the buds) and they only last just under 3 hours on a full charge.

The XM3 buds still had a full charge (the case was near empty) after having sat idle since I got the XM4 nearly 4 1/2 months ago. Pretty good.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,761 of 2,999
Just joined the club with a set to use with my New Xperia 1 III which incidentally sounds superb with my K10's wired and also using my BTR5, but wanted better sound than the Samsung Buds+ I've used.

Colour me surprised! Was expecting typical lacking sound, especially compared to my K10U/BTR5 combo, but boy do they sound great at LDAC Best setting using my own HD FLAC/MQA tracks or Amazon Music which seems to play bit-perfect on the Xperia.

Replaced tips with some SpinFit that I use with my K10U's and super comfy and great fit.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,762 of 2,999
On XM3 and XM4 I can’t answer the call on the bud by touching the right ear piece (or the left) but have to do it with the phone and the sound defaults to the phone speaker and I then manually have to select the bud for sound.
Might be an iOS thing? On Android the gestures work fine as far as I've tested. If I'm not mistaken it's double tap either side to answer a call and tap and hold to reject/hang up.

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,763 of 2,999
Might be an iOS thing? On Android the gestures work fine as far as I've tested. If I'm not mistaken it's double tap either side to answer a call and tap and hold to reject/hang up.
Double tap. Yes that works and the sound then goes automatically to the buds just like with the M2. I’m sure it never used to be double tap on the XM3 but I must remember wrong, it’s so rare that I answer a call with the buds in. Double tap on either bud to answer and double tap either bud to hang up, long tap on either bud to decline a call.

Just checked the user manual for both XM3 and XM4 and they state the same (though not that you can double tap on either bud, it says right but only, but both works also the long tap to decline is not mentioned) so I clearly must remember wrong about the single tap

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,765 of 2,999
Is it just me, or does the mx4 sound like absolute dog shiet for classical and instrumentals, much worse than the xm3

the xm4 sounds more dynamic for some songs but for those with emphasis on instrumentals, it just sounds terrible to me. It's like listening to it on an old radio.

So listening to things like Kara's Theme from Detroit makes it really weird, coz the drums are nice solid and punchy, but the cello and violins are radio-ish lol.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,766 of 2,999
Is it just me, or does the mx4 sound like absolute dog shiet for classical and instrumentals, much worse than the xm3

the xm4 sounds more dynamic for some songs but for those with emphasis on instrumentals, it just sounds terrible to me. It's like listening to it on an old radio.

So listening to things like Kara's Theme from Detroit makes it really weird, coz the drums are nice solid and punchy, but the cello and violins are radio-ish lol.
I enjoy them with classical

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,768 of 2,999

For me there's zero dynamics in the XM4 unfortunately. Recordings that used to get me exited sound like they use volume matching or some other sort of compression to keep them in check. I think that's actually part of the goal for these IEMs: To make them easy going in all kind of situations. I think they succeeded in that and that it's just you and me expecting too much on an audiophile level.

drftr

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,769 of 2,999
Positive and negative reviews are not of much help to anyone if the posting does not reveal the source material (i.e., streaming or download, & file resolution), the hardware involved (i.e., iPhone, dedicated player, etc.), and the Bluetooth connection protocol used (i.e., LDAC, AAC, Apt-X, etc.).

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,770 of 2,999
Positive and negative reviews are not of much help to anyone if the posting does not reveal the source material (i.e., streaming or download, & file resolution), the hardware involved (i.e., iPhone, dedicated player, etc.), and the Bluetooth connection protocol used (i.e., LDAC, AAC, Apt-X, etc.).
iPhone13 Pro, local aac 320kb files or Tidal hifi, anc and Bright eq. This sounds fine to me for all genres while on the go in mixed ambient noise which to me is the sole use case of tws iem's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back