Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,157 of 2,999
Got a Blu G80 for $120. Unlocked

gonna load up Apple Music with my account, download lossless files of my reference playlist, and see what happens
Looks like it only supports sbc and not ldac

9801EED2-3F13-485C-9341-6F87D0FD8CDC.jpeg

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,159 of 2,999
So I just deleted my video on these. I’m going to reupload a longer or more detailed take on what exactly I hear, because some people were really really upset by how short I was and - admittedly - how my very dissatisfied take came off as condescending.

In the moment of recording, I genuinely just felt so disappointed in what I heard that I couldn’t help but reflect that emotion in my voice as I laughed at my own feelings. But I think it came off like I was laughing directly at people for enjoying these. To be honest, that’s the part that I feel bad about. I don’t feel bad about my feelings hearing them, those feelings are true to what I heard.

But, I could do a lot more to show people I can consider potential issues with codecs, with how the tuning may be more favorable to others aside from myself, and help people understand what my bad experience was by being very specific - rather than brief and flippant.

As we speak I’m heading to a store to buy an Android phone. No joke. If people believe it’ll make a difference, I ought to give it a shot for a full and detailed take.

It’s the right thing to do!

A more thorough video incoming :) next couple days
Go buy a cheap Android like a pixel 4a if you can find one. The 4a is a hell of a phone if you're not concerned with not having 5G.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,160 of 2,999
Go buy a cheap Android like a pixel 4a if you can find one. The 4a is a hell of a phone if you're not concerned with not having 5G.
Well I would only need this for music, and only this one test. I don’t plan on switching over for daily driving.

I mean I could get the $350 pixel and return it after the review…

but I would rather have just the cheapest android with LDAC possible.

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,163 of 2,999
So I just deleted my video on these. I’m going to reupload a longer or more detailed take on what exactly I hear, because some people were really really upset by how short I was and - admittedly - how my very dissatisfied take came off as condescending.

In the moment of recording, I genuinely just felt so disappointed in what I heard that I couldn’t help but reflect that emotion in my voice as I laughed at my own feelings. But I think it came off like I was laughing directly at people for enjoying these. To be honest, that’s the part that I feel bad about. I don’t feel bad about my feelings hearing them, those feelings are true to what I heard.

But, I could do a lot more to show people I can consider potential issues with codecs, with how the tuning may be more favorable to others aside from myself, and help people understand what my bad experience was by being very specific - rather than brief and flippant.

As we speak I’m heading to a store to buy an Android phone. No joke. If people believe it’ll make a difference, I ought to give it a shot for a full and detailed take.

It’s the right thing to do!

A more thorough video incoming :) next couple days
IMO, you shouldn't change your opinion on what people think. If that's what you hear that's what you hear. Anyone not realizing that our ears our different is in the wrong. Ignore them and be you.

Switching to LDAC is not going to make a big difference. It squeezes out a bit more detail/refinement, but I don't see it changing your overall opinion.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,164 of 2,999
Any phone with Android 11 should work, even tho Google included LDAC in mainstream Android with 10.

I have a pixel 3a for instance, and it has LDAC and you can get one of these for cheap these days.

Even a cheap tablet like the Walmart Onn brand tablets supports LDAC.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,165 of 2,999
IMO, you shouldn't change your opinion on what people think. If that's what you hear that's what you hear. Anyone not realizing that our ears our different is in the wrong. Ignore them and be you.

Switching to LDAC is not going to make a big difference. It squeezes out a bit more detail/refinement, but I don't see it changing your overall opinion.
No intention of changing opinions on what I hear :)

Doesn’t mean I can’t try more things!

EDIT: …and how to articulate more details regarding those opinions.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,166 of 2,999
Any suggestions for a phone to get? Do all androids, even the cheapest, have LDAC in equal quality?

You may want to look at a Sony Walkman DAP. I use an iPhone but wanted to try LDAC so I bought the A105, which retails for US$350 but can be found for $300 on sale.

It runs Android and supports LDAC at the highest quality with the XM4s. I use them with the iPhone for podcasts and work conferencing, but I'll switch to the DAP to listen to music through my offline library or streaming Qobuz / Apple Music.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,167 of 2,999
20210806_173505.jpg

Few things I like and appreciate about WF-1000XM4.

I really dig this finish. Far better in person. The case and the units have this unique textured finish, and I'm glad I chose this color scheme.

Excluding full-size HPs, ANC is league above anything I own and have heard. Superb ANC combined with excellent passive isolation makes this best in class. Best of all, no ANC buzzing/white noise!!! It's one of the things that bother me the most with ANC TWS/HPs, and here It's dead quiet.

I really like the fact that I can insert them in my ears and adjust them without triggering the touch interface. Usually I disable the touch features on other ANCs because of this. I can't overstate the importance of this. Touch sensors are very accurate as well.

Sound Isolation - Passive isolation is excellent with the supplied hybrid foam tips. This is definitely going to be my travelling set, well whenever that happens. *one this to note, slightly difficult to get a proper seal.

Sound wise, no complaints. Need a bit of EQ out of the box. Unwanted resonance, an area where TWS typically suffer, is minor compared to many other offerings.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,168 of 2,999
20210806_173505.jpg

Few things I like and appreciate about WF-1000XM4.

I really dig this finish. Far better in person. The case and the units have this unique textured finish, and I'm glad I chose this color scheme.

Excluding full-size HPs, league above anything I own and have heard. Superb ANC combined with excellent passive isolation makes this best in class. Best of all, no ANC buzzing/white noise!!! It's one of the things that bother me the most with ANC TWS/HPs, and here It's dead quiet.

I really like the fact that I can insert them in my ears and adjust them without triggering the touch interface. Usually I disable the touch features on other ANCs because of this. I can't overstate the importance of this. Touch sensors are very accurate as well.

Sound Isolation - Passive isolation is excellent with the supplied hybrid foam tips. This is definitely going to be my travelling set, well whenever that happens. *one this to note, slightly difficult to get a proper seal.

Sound wise, no complaints. Need a bit of EQ out of the box. Unwanted resonance, an area where TWS typically suffer, is minor compared to many other offerings.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.
Glad im not the only one who prefers the grey.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,169 of 2,999
I already have the Melomania Touch's in white, so I figured I'd go with the black XM4's.

I'm still thinking the Spinfit CP360's are my favorite tips for the most treble without EQ, the best overall clarity, and tightest sounding bass. I really have no complaints with what I'm hearing. LDAC locked at 990kbps, on a Pixel 5 just using Spotify.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,170 of 2,999
I already have the Melomania Touch's in white, so I figured I'd go with the black XM4's.

I'm still thinking the Spinfit CP360's are my favorite tips for the most treble without EQ, the best overall clarity, and tightest sounding bass. I really have no complaints with what I'm hearing. LDAC locked at 990kbps, on a Pixel 5 just using Spotify.
Just placed an order for those. I’ve had other spinfits but haven’t tried that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back