Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,141 of 3,004
I read in an online review that these can be painful for those with smaller ears due to the thickness of the stems. Is that true?
The small tips are pretty small. (I can't get a seal with the smalls. I can get a seal with the medium and large no problem. The problem I have (for now - I have had these for 1 day so far) is keeping the seal. With LDAC and a good seal I think they sound great for bluetooth buds (true wireless or otherwise)

I found a custom EQ on reddit that I like a lot so far: (Should work as a starting point, anyway)

1628207862632.png

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,142 of 3,004
Why does Sony, and others, have these artifacts that Oluv noticed? Also the timbre to my ear was off on instruments. Does it take special engineering for wireless manufacturers to sound correct using AAC? Why do the AirPods play better with the same codec?

Sorry guys, I’m not trying to complain here, I’m just trying to get at discovering what’s happening.
I am not an Apple expert, but Sony chose to ditch APTX and APTX-HD on these buds in favor of their home-grown codex: LDAC. LDAC sounds great IMHO, but leaves Apple users behind since Apple does not support LDAC. I think Apple users are better off with the XM3 and its support for APTX-HD. Why no APTX-HD on $280 buds? Who knows?

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,143 of 3,004
I am not an Apple expert, but Sony chose to ditch APTX and APTX-HD on these buds in favor of their home-grown codex: LDAC. LDAC sounds great IMHO, but leaves Apple users behind since Apple does not support LDAC. I think Apple users are better off with the XM3 and its support for APTX-HD. Why no APTX-HD on $280 buds? Who knows?
Apple does not support APTX either

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #1,145 of 3,004
I went back to stock tuning with my Spiral Dots after Resolve's review. I noticed anytime eq is invoked the attenuation at higher volumes is more noticeable.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #1,146 of 3,004
Why does Sony, and others, have these artifacts that Oluv noticed? Also the timbre to my ear was off on instruments. Does it take special engineering for wireless manufacturers to sound correct using AAC? Why do the AirPods play better with the same codec?

Sorry guys, I’m not trying to complain here, I’m just trying to get at discovering what’s happening.
I sold my AirPods Pro after getting the XM4 buds. They slap them in every way except multipoint connectivity which I don’t use. Super happy I got them as the AirPods Pro didn’t offer enough sound quality

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,147 of 3,004

It’s an impressions thread, with room for all impressions and questions! :)

For me the XM4 are a fantastic total package when taking into account the sound, features, comfort, etc. Are they my number one in every category? Nope, and I have other TWS, IEMs, and headphones when I want something specific. But, if I had to choose just one TWS (from my limited experience), for me the XM4 would be it. In 6 months, when the Next Best Thing Ever comes out, well, my loyalty only goes so far… :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,148 of 3,004

My guess is Apple didn't want to implement any hi-res codec in their products because of the limitations of bluetooth, so they worked better than android and other producers on aac.
Now they are biting the dust, probably things will change in a year or so.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,149 of 3,004
Not many audiophile videos though. Does anyone know of any critics I can watch who have said favorable things? I want to know what I’m missing here.
I'm not super familiar with this person's content but I do remember that the review was quite objective IMO and favourable. May have been some of their other videos tho, they have multiple ones on the XM4.

linky

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,150 of 3,004
So I just deleted my video on these. I’m going to reupload a longer or more detailed take on what exactly I hear, because some people were really really upset by how short I was and - admittedly - how my very dissatisfied take came off as condescending.

In the moment of recording, I genuinely just felt so disappointed in what I heard that I couldn’t help but reflect that emotion in my voice as I laughed at my own feelings. But I think it came off like I was laughing directly at people for enjoying these. To be honest, that’s the part that I feel bad about. I don’t feel bad about my feelings hearing them, those feelings are true to what I heard.

But, I could do a lot more to show people I can consider potential issues with codecs, with how the tuning may be more favorable to others aside from myself, and help people understand what my bad experience was by being very specific - rather than brief and flippant.

As we speak I’m heading to a store to buy an Android phone. No joke. If people believe it’ll make a difference, I ought to give it a shot for a full and detailed take.

It’s the right thing to do!

A more thorough video incoming :) next couple days

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,151 of 3,004
So I just deleted my video on these. I’m going to reupload a longer or more detailed take on what exactly I hear, because some people were really really upset by how short I was and - admittedly - how my very dissatisfied take came off as condescending.

In the moment of recording, I genuinely just felt so disappointed in what I heard that I couldn’t help but reflect that emotion in my voice as I laughed at my own feelings. But I think it came off like I was laughing directly at people for enjoying these. To be honest, that’s the part that I feel bad about. I don’t feel bad about my feelings hearing them, those feelings are true to what I heard.

But, I could do a lot more to show people I can consider potential issues with codecs, with how the tuning may be more favorable to others aside from myself, and help people understand what my bad experience was by being very specific - rather than brief and flippant.

As we speak I’m heading to a store to buy an Android phone. No joke. If people believe it’ll make a difference, I ought to give it a shot for a full and detailed take.

It’s the right thing to do!

A more thorough video incoming :) next couple days
Well that at least should allow you to use ldac rather than aac and ldac from my Sony A55 does sound better than aac from my iPhone, but I doubt that will fundamentally change your feelings about the XM4

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,155 of 3,004
Any suggestions for a phone to get? Do all androids, even the cheapest, have LDAC in equal quality?
I don’t know, I’ve been iPhone since it first came out in Europe and have never owned or used an Android phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back