Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #556 of 2,999
Upload a picture - maybe someone will be able to identify them.
16241903764122074360665712585755.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #557 of 2,999
Final e have narrow opening, so definitely reduce treble
Yes I've just tried them. Co.foetsbke, go deeper than Spiral Dots. They're also a bit darker, but seem to emphasize some upper mid region that adds a spike to some female vocals. Spiral Dots are definitely more balanced, with smoother treble/mids and a wider stage. E Type are not bad at all though, can definitely see myself using them on occasion.
Spiral tips seem to be the best however there are comfort issues
They are easily the most comfortable tips I own, but you need the right size for your ears. Too small and they go too deep and don't seal, too big and they make the earpieces protrude.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #558 of 2,999
In Japan, E-Earphone had the XM4 since last Wednesday so I have been spending my time going to the place constantly. Managed to waste several days just to write an article out of.
This is my quick review of the XM4, hopefully, this can be informative to some:
https://banbeu.com/sony-wf-1000xm4-quick-review-the-xm4-curse/

IMG20210620185000.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #559 of 2,999
Which model of spinfit do you guys recommend? 100,145,360?
The 360 are great. Haven’t tried the others though. Of note, for the xm4 I find the large better than the mediums, that I have used before.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #560 of 2,999
I’m having this exact same issue, especially on Netflix. Did you ever resolve it?

Unfortunately not. :triportsad: I ended up returning them and switching back to my Pixel Buds for daily TWS duty. I see a few other posters have now also experienced this and there are also some Amazon reviews indicating this same issue. I suspect they all have this issue and the majority of buyers have been focused on music and haven't tested with lower quality spoken word audio content (esp. with male speech).

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #561 of 2,999
Unfortunately not. :triportsad: I ended up returning them and switching back to my Pixel Buds for daily TWS duty. I see a few other posters have now also experienced this and there are also some Amazon reviews indicating this same issue. I suspect they all have this issue and the majority of buyers have been focused on music and haven't tested with lower quality spoken word audio content (esp. with male speech).
I’ve used mine with Audible audio books on my iPhone and don’t have any such problem

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #563 of 2,999
I watched a few YouTube reviews of things, including IEM's, by males, and noticed nothing. Also some game reviews. Will try streaming some NPR now and see if I hear anything off.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #564 of 2,999
Listening to NPR via the WNYC streaming app, so nothing exactly high rez, I am getting some weird like almost small dinging noise when some people are speaking.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #565 of 2,999
Nice review @Banbeucmas, I appreciate the focus on just audio. Out of curiosity which codec did you use while testing?

Based on your testing I will gladly wait until my less than 6 month old XM3 have issues before I even consider the new model as it will drop in price then and I have several other TWS in my stable of listening devices. The treble alone will bother me as I find the XM3 just on the cusp of being to tame and if the XM4 is slightly more relaxed it will be to much like the WH-1000XM3 which I find too rolled off in the treble for my tastes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #566 of 2,999
Listening to NPR via the WNYC streaming app, so nothing exactly high rez, I am getting some weird like almost small dinging noise when some people are speaking.
Dinging is a good way to explain it. That's exactly right. With highly sibilant male speech (podcast, audiobook, etc.), at the trailing edge of most words I get a ding or a metallic clink in the right earpiece that can't be reproduced with any other audio equipment.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #567 of 2,999
Nice review @Banbeucmas, I appreciate the focus on just audio. Out of curiosity which codec did you use while testing?

Based on your testing I will gladly wait until my less than 6 month old XM3 have issues before I even consider the new model as it will drop in price then and I have several other TWS in my stable of listening devices. The treble alone will bother me as I find the XM3 just on the cusp of being to tame and if the XM4 is slightly more relaxed it will be to much like the WH-1000XM3 which I find too rolled off in the treble for my tastes.
Thanks. I believe I did try to fiddle around the codec so pretty much all three SBC/AAC/LDAC are in the zone of what I have tried, though I kept it at LDAC at the end with my device being Android

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #568 of 2,999
Awesome I was hoping that was the case. I am pretty happy with the XM3 so no need to upgrade right away as they fit me well enough and the ANC is good for my needs.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #569 of 2,999
Dinging is a good way to explain it. That's exactly right. With highly sibilant male speech (podcast, audiobook, etc.), at the trailing edge of most words I get a ding or a metallic clink in the right earpiece that can't be reproduced with any other audio equipment.

It seems to only happen with average to higher pitched male voices and I did hear it with female voices. I did not hear it with deeper male voices.

This has to be a software fix.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #570 of 2,999

Have you tried different settings -- ANC on/off, switch codec, switch bitrate, DSEE on/off etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back