Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #526 of 2,999
Can confirm silicone tips change the sound, generally for the better, and improve the comfort (feels less like having your ears overstuffed). I'm trying the EP01 and the comparison that instantly came into my head was of my former Audioquest Nighthawks sounding like the XM4s with the stock foam tips (very dark yet fairly balanced with detail all there if you listen for it, just not instantly obvious) and the fun, U-shape sound profile of my EM-U Teaks sounding similar to the XM4s with the EP01 tips.

So, yes, the silicone does make the bass sound a bit more controlled, and definitely opens up the high mids and highs, helping with the overall imaging in the process. "Less congested" is a good description. One minor downside I'm hearing (and this might be particular to the EP01's flared barrel shape) is some coarseness in the mids and highs, and even a tiny bit of sibilance in a few recordings.

I might try one more type of silicone, but after dropping so much on the XM4s I'm not about to go wild on new tips. Sadly all my existing tips are for IEMS with much narrower nozzles.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #528 of 2,999
Sitting in the back garden with A55 and XM4, this is a killer combo and so convenient without wires

FC9F9EF0-1CB2-4E91-A785-C9E9D9E46182.jpeg

On a side note, the Sony app on my iPhone was updated today and now there is no stuttering to the sound any longer
Damn it I went blind.... your legs need more sunshine!

Joke aside I've seen the 105s for 170€ refurbished so might go for that so I can stream Tidal

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #529 of 2,999
Damn it I went blind.... your legs need more sunshine!

Joke aside I've seen the 105s for 170€ refurbished so might go for that so I can stream Tidal
Yes those legs are white, first day in shorts this year 🤣

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #530 of 2,999
So how is the comfort and fit of these headphones? I greatly prefer the Apple AirPods Pro over the WF-1000XM3 simply for the reason that it is much more comfortable, much better fit and it doesn’t fall out of my ears when running.
Yesterday was the first time I wore them for 3 hours nonstop and they began to hurt at the lower part of the earpiece. I've used a LOT of IEMs and have rarely had fatigue wearing any, so that says something. Worried about long haul flights when I start traveling again. Maybe my ears will get used to the new pressure point, I dunno. But definitely something to think about with these buds, they're chunky.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #533 of 2,999
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #534 of 2,999
Yesterday was the first time I wore them for 3 hours nonstop and they began to hurt at the lower part of the earpiece. I've used a LOT of IEMs and have rarely had fatigue wearing any, so that says something. Worried about long haul flights when I start traveling again. Maybe my ears will get used to the new pressure point, I dunno. But definitely something to think about with these buds, they're chunky.
I had irritation on my tragus with the XM4, just in one ear, and they were going to be a return if it remained, but after couple days that went away and it's been about a week now and zero irritation.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #535 of 2,999
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #536 of 2,999
So I just tested some tips and so far the Spiraldots are the winner for me, Spinfit 360 dulls the mids and highs, the hybrid ones sound decently but even the small and mid hurt my ears tested the mandarins and had the same issues as with the Spinfit, then tested the XM3 tips and they didn't fit me well so for now the Spiraldots are the winners.

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #537 of 2,999
Great writeup and review! Agree on most points but one! The XM4 are not exactly "tiny" when so many other true wireless in ears are smaller and/or less bulky...
Considering how much tech has gone into these earpieces I find them very compact indeed. I'm coming to these from large multi-driver IEMs so there's also that.
So I just tested some tips and so far the Spiraldots are the winner for me, Spinfit 360 dulls the mids and highs, the hybrid ones sound decently but even the small and mid hurt my ears tested the mandarins and had the same issues as with the Spinfit, then tested the XM3 tips and they didn't fit me well so for now the Spiraldots are the winners.
Spiral Dots are definitely my go-to for the XM4 right now. Didn't like the ePro, and Sedna and Acoustune are also a decent fit/sound, but Spirals take it for best sound/comfort.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #538 of 2,999
Considering how much tech has gone into these earpieces I find them very compact indeed. I'm coming to these from large multi-driver IEMs so there's also that.

Spiral Dots are definitely my go-to for the XM4 right now. Didn't like the ePro, and Sedna and Acoustune are also a decent fit/sound, but Spirals take it for best sound/comfort.

Which Sednas did you try? Xelastec or regular black ones? And what about the ePros didn't you like? I'd love to try the Spiral Dots but they're hard to come by for a reasonable price ($30 on Amazon is not "reasonable"!)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #539 of 2,999
Does anyone else notice an odd pinging/chiming metallic sound with spoken word material (e.g., podcasts)? Music sounds perfect to me, but with a podcast, the right earbud has this odd audio artifact when speech peaks. I've tried fiddling with every setting and have tried different sources. Very odd.
I’m having this exact same issue, especially on Netflix. Did you ever resolve it?

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #540 of 2,999
Did JVC make a new spiral dot tip for a smaller nozzle? My pair work great on large nozzle IEMs but are a bit loose on Sony IEM's due to the smaller nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back