Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #496 of 2,999
No matter how we look at it, IMO in this age (mid 2021) and price for the class (1st tier BT IEMs) the lack of Multipoint is a failure.

They let slide because most of the public still doesn't known what it is and competitors are lagging too.

Next year, same game and anyone without MP will be in trouble.

Bluetooth buds are mostly about ease of use and comfort, flexibility. And the MP part is key at that.

If you're talking sound quality above all, then who cares. XM4 sucks. Go wired. No XM4 or XM9 will beat a nice small comfy set of wired CA Andromeda - or anything better.

Do wireless right to justify its benefits. Otherwise just stay wired. 😉
For all its failings, if it could do one thing better than andro, its the bass XD

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #497 of 2,999
No matter how we look at it, IMO in this age (mid 2021) and price for the class (1st tier BT IEMs) the lack of Multipoint is a failure.

They let slide because most of the public still doesn't known what it is and competitors are lagging too.

Bluetooth buds are mostly about ease of use and comfort, flexibility. And the MP part is key at that.

If you're talking sound quality above all, then who cares. XM4 sucks. Go wired. No XM4 or XM9 will beat a nice small comfy set of wired CA Andromeda - or anything better.

Im new to TWS, and have a pair of these on order. I am not familiar with multipoint, care to enlighten me? Is that the ability to quickly or easily switch between sources? I could certainly see that being very nice to have.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #498 of 2,999
Multipoint in Layman's terms (I have had a few support this).

Come home and connect to your PC to listen to music while you work but keep it connected to your phone so if a call comes in you can take it, then once call is done it will be back to your PC+music.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #499 of 2,999

Very shortminded thoughts about all TWS buds. You dismiss all the benefits of wireless by saying without multipoint, they aren't doing it right, as per your last sentence. You almost get it, bluetooth buds are mostly about ease of use and comfort and flexibility, but then shoot yourself in the foot thinking MP is the crucial feature of that. You all but essentially dismiss all the other benefits besides MP are the ones that are about easy of use and comfort and flexibility.

The advantages of TWS go well beyond a simultaneous connection to multiple devices. Well well beyond that. The key feature? No wires. Other key features? ANC. Touch controls. EQ. Ambient talk through. Automatic music pausing. Did I mention no wires? You are missing the forest for the trees. MP is very cool, and it will become more common. But your dismissal of TWS otherwise is just way off.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #500 of 2,999
I can see how multipoint is useful but I'm someone who is happy enough without it since I only really use earphones sporadically with a single device (ask me again in a few months when I have to take more regular Zoom meetings interrupted by phone calls!)

I'm also someone who bought the XM4s for the convenience and all the features (microphones, ANC/ambient, wireless, battery life etc.) first, music SQ second, so am happy with how good they do sound, relatively speaking. I'm not sure I'd ever spend $500+ on audiophile TWS earphones only for listening to music simply because those tiny batteries have a finite lifespan. Not to mention the fact that cramming batteries and a BT chip into the shell leaves precious little room for drivers and tuning. If I want great sound quality on the go I'll use wired IEMs, with or without my ES100

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #501 of 2,999

To me personally multipoint is totally irrellevant and the XM4 certainly don’t suck soundquality wise

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #502 of 2,999
So how is the comfort and fit of these headphones? I greatly prefer the Apple AirPods Pro over the WF-1000XM3 simply for the reason that it is much more comfortable, much better fit and it doesn’t fall out of my ears when running.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #503 of 2,999
Today I somewhat confirmed what I was hearing between the Large and Medium tips. I used the feature in the Sony app where you try on all 3 sizes of the tips and the app tells you which is best for your ears. The app said the Medium tips are my recommended tips.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I think those that are hearing these as dark and muffled may either need to switch sizes or get 3rd party tips. I can pass the fit test with both the medium and large, but the large sounds noticeably worse to my ears. It's definitely dark and muddy. With the medium, the sound is warm, smooth, and has decent detail. Not muddy or dark at all. Treble is still rolled off at the top, but no where near as bad as with the Large. Definitely not to the point where I would call them dark.
I agree, and will go a step further to say the stock foam tips (or any foam tips for that matter) will always darken the sound and nullify the treble extension/air. That's the very nature of foam tips. In return you get better sound isolation, but for me that's not a fair trade.

The first thing I did with the XM4 was remove the stock tips and cycle though my silicone tip collection (using the brilliant Sony tip testing feature) to find the ones that seal. Lucky for me the ones that seal best (Spiral Dots) are also the most comfortable and best sounding. No need to EQ with these, bass is much tighter (still elevated but that's how I like my bass - Legend X user here), vocals are clear and smooth, and treble has plenty of sparkle without ever becoming harsh.

The bar I set for these was to match or exceed the SQ of my wired 'everyday' IEMs (BLON BL-03), and the XM4 does that easily - as long as you're using LDAC. Add all the benefits this comes with, like ANC and speak to chat, and it's an absolute bargain!
For all its failings, if it could do one thing better than andro, its the bass XD
Amen to that. Easily betters Andro bass for me.
So how is the comfort and fit of these headphones? I greatly prefer the Apple AirPods Pro over the WF-1000XM3 simply for the reason that it is much more comfortable, much better fit and it doesn’t fall out of my ears when running.
Much, MUCH improved over the XM3. Not even close. I couldn't wear the XM3 for more than 30 minutes without pain, and they always dangled from my ears regardless of tips used. Yesterday I wore the XM4 for 3 hours without even realising it. Super, super comfortable.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #504 of 2,999
They feel a bit bulky, you can't be on your side in the bed with them, however, they are confortable just wearing them on the street. These are the first wireless earphones that never fall out or become loose with me, and I've been exercising with them.
Like other people have said, the size of the tips is one too small, the large ones are actually medium.

Edit: just realized I could use a smaller size, I was not inserting them correctly.

Edit 2: like everyone else said, they sound better in smaller tips(without eq), just twist them while inserting deeper.

Edit 3: Had to go back to larger tips, I kept losing isolation with the medium ones.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #506 of 2,999
Have an issue with mine after the update to 1.1.5.
They will struggle to connect to the phone. Sometimes they will connect no problem, other times they connect, disconnect and try again and then make white noise.
I’m replacing them. I did not love them at first but the combination of epro EP01 tips and EQ off somehow sounds really great and they are the most comfortable pair I have (maybe the 85t is better - but does not sound as good).
I wish there was a way for fix this as I don’t want to be without them right now…

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #507 of 2,999
I've been testing the SpinFit CP145-L a while now and they have given me the best sound out of all silicone tips so far. They upper mids and highs especially are more pronounced and clear so that not even an EQ is needed really. Stock EQ sound great with them. The fit test in the app also shows that they fit well. Quite happy so far (although ANC is not as good as with the stock tips but that was to be expected of course).

240724C4-90CD-4F4E-BC17-8CEA88F80694.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #508 of 2,999
Have an issue with mine after the update to 1.1.5.
They will struggle to connect to the phone. Sometimes they will connect no problem, other times they connect, disconnect and try again and then make white noise.
I’m replacing them. I did not love them at first but the combination of epro EP01 tips and EQ off somehow sounds really great and they are the most comfortable pair I have (maybe the 85t is better - but does not sound as good).
I wish there was a way for fix this as I don’t want to be without them right now…
Welcome to th ep01 club!

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #509 of 2,999
Stupid question, does spiral dots go bad? I mean, I have my box from 3 years ago and they kinda feel stiffer than 1 box that I got lately...
Nope.. But the spiral dot tips does have some changes in material the older batch and the newer batches...

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #510 of 2,999
Today I somewhat confirmed what I was hearing between the Large and Medium tips. I used the feature in the Sony app where you try on all 3 sizes of the tips and the app tells you which is best for your ears. The app said the Medium tips are my recommended tips.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I think those that are hearing these as dark and muffled may either need to switch sizes or get 3rd party tips. I can pass the fit test with both the medium and large, but the large sounds noticeably worse to my ears. It's definitely dark and muddy. With the medium, the sound is warm, smooth, and has decent detail. Not muddy or dark at all. Treble is still rolled off at the top, but no where near as bad as with the Large. Definitely not to the point where I would call them dark.
This isn't the case, at least for me. I tried the medium stock tips as noted in the other thread and the attenuation/compression is still present in that song compared to the Galaxy Buds Pro and LCD-I4.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back