Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #466 of 2,999
Hey guys, just joined the XM4 club! Everything is set up and ready to go. Firmware updates automatically in about 10 minutes. Everything is dandy, except...

I can't get my LG V30+ to stay in LDAC mode. In developer options, I notice AAC is set as default:

Screenshot_20210618-161245_cropped.png

So I set it to LDAC, and I can hear a skip and then the sound seems much clearer. But as soon as I exit settings and go to the Sony app...

Screenshot_20210618-161213_cropped.png

It shows that it's playing AAC. I've made sure I've set it to SQ priority:

Screenshot_20210618-161329_cropped.png

But going back to Developer Options, I see the codec has switched back to AAC on its own.

Playback via Tidal. I have UAPP installed too but have switched it off for now.

What's going on here? Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Ok I got it to switch to LDAC. I decided to check my actual Bluetooth settings, and lo and behold there's an option for setting playback quality there too!

Screenshot_20210618-163105_cropped.png

Screenshot_20210618-163128_cropped.png

It still didn't switch to LDAC immediately in the Sony app, so I went to developer options to change it manually, and only then did the Sony app show LDAC.

Now let's hope it stays on LDAC! Because the difference in SQ is immediately obvious, and it's not subtle. This is the #1 reason I got the XM4, and two tracks in I can already say that I'm not disappointed. More impressions to follow...

(Hope the above helps anyone stuck with the same issue)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #467 of 2,999
Just got the XM4s and noticed an issue that nobody talked about.

It seems like the high frequencies are less loud when at max volume. I don't know how to explain this but it's mostly noticeable on Electronic music. They seem like fading out at max volume and when I go back to normal volume, they reappear louder (sort of)

Try playing this track at 1:05 (the drop)
Then start at mid volume all the way up to max volume and focus on listening the highs. Then go back to 70-80% volume.

The highs (10-20khz) should stay as loud as the rest of the frequency spectrum but they don't.

I don't know how to explain this. It's not noticeable on other genres though.
I encourage you using your favorite streaming service as YouTube audio quality sucks and isn't the best at portraying the issue.

Also, as aforementioned by someone else, the Sony EQ seems to "break" the sound quality/volume of the buds, I let it disabled.

Otherwise, pretty happy, the sound is spectacular although I prefer them with silicone tips!

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #468 of 2,999
When I decide to buy the XM4 I am 99% sure I will end up using the original Sony hybrid tips LOL.

That's an interesting issue @JiDey247, my initial thought was the mids or lows were masking the highs but that part of the song is almost nothing but highs. Almost makes me wonder if they deliberately cap the highs to prevent hearing loss or possibly to reduce compression artifact issues.

If so it might explain muddy comments for anyone who listens at loud volumes especially on songs that would have a mix of all frequencies simultaneously.

Unfortunately the only way to truly prove it out would be to measure the frequency range at max volume as compared to mid volume.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #469 of 2,999
When I decide to buy the XM4 I am 99% sure I will end up using the original Sony hybrid tips LOL.

That's an interesting issue @JiDey247, my initial thought was the mids or lows were masking the highs but that part of the song is almost nothing but highs. Almost makes me wonder if they deliberately cap the highs to prevent hearing loss or possibly to reduce compression artifact issues.

If so it might explain muddy comments for anyone who listens at loud volumes especially on songs that would have a mix of all frequencies simultaneously.

Unfortunately the only way to truly prove it out would be to measure the frequency range at max volume as compared to mid volume.
I thought of using the hybrids. But changing the eq to balance out the tip and base sound signature was a thing. It does get dark

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #470 of 2,999
Any tricks to updating the firmware? Tried it multiple times on my Pixel 3 and progress never moved beyond 0% after about 10 minutes so I gave up. Tried it on my iPad and it progressed to about 8% before it aborted itself for no apparent reason. I give up!

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #471 of 2,999
Are you doing it with them in or out your ears?

I ask as I disabled the wear sensor just in case it fails as I laid them on the desk as it will turn off after 15min but I doubt it would during update but you never know.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #473 of 2,999
Any tricks to updating the firmware? Tried it multiple times on my Pixel 3 and progress never moved beyond 0% after about 10 minutes so I gave up. Tried it on my iPad and it progressed to about 8% before it aborted itself for no apparent reason. I give up!
I just kept them in my ears and the update went smooth on first attempt just like all XM3 updates from my iPhone. It took about 20-25 minutes in total

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #474 of 2,999
I recommend doing it while playing music and wearing then, at least that's what I was told by CS.

Ah, that might have been my problem -- I tried them in my ears with nothing playing, and lying on the desk with nothing playing. Old habits (trying to prevent file corruption) die hard! I guess I should just use them and trust it'll do it's thing in the background

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #475 of 2,999
Just got the XM4s and noticed an issue that nobody talked about.

It seems like the high frequencies are less loud when at max volume. I don't know how to explain this but it's mostly noticeable on Electronic music. They seem like fading out at max volume and when I go back to normal volume, they reappear louder (sort of)

Try playing this track at 1:05 (the drop)
Then start at mid volume all the way up to max volume and focus on listening the highs. Then go back to 70-80% volume.

The highs (10-20khz) should stay as loud as the rest of the frequency spectrum but they don't.

I don't know how to explain this. It's not noticeable on other genres though.
I encourage you using your favorite streaming service as YouTube audio quality sucks and isn't the best at portraying the issue.

Also, as aforementioned by someone else, the Sony EQ seems to "break" the sound quality/volume of the buds, I let it disabled.

Otherwise, pretty happy, the sound is spectacular although I prefer them with silicone tips!

I think that what you are describing is consistent with the out of the box / default rolled off highs that the XM4 has. In the EQ of the Sony app you can choose the Treble preset and the start playing with the EQ from there.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #477 of 2,999

That may be a reason. Regardless, I'll be waiting for some feedback to see if I'm the only one experiencing this issue first

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #478 of 2,999
I just switched to silicone tips and just turned off the EQ. Took the dog for a 40 minute walk and these sound the best they have so far.
I did something similar (without a dog though😜). Used to use foam tips with xm3, and switched very fast to use also on the xm4. But some time ago I tried the spinfits with the xm3. Stopped, while sound was good, the xm3 was too heavy and didn’t give a comfortable fit. However, on the xm4s - to me - the spinfits are very good. Opens the sound while maintaining a good fit....

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #479 of 2,999
Hey guys, just joined the XM4 club! Everything is set up and ready to go. Firmware updates automatically in about 10 minutes. Everything is dandy, except...

I can't get my LG V30+ to stay in LDAC mode. In developer options, I notice AAC is set as default:

Screenshot_20210618-161245_cropped.png
So I set it to LDAC, and I can hear a skip and then the sound seems much clearer. But as soon as I exit settings and go to the Sony app...

Screenshot_20210618-161213_cropped.png
It shows that it's playing AAC. I've made sure I've set it to SQ priority:

Screenshot_20210618-161329_cropped.png
But going back to Developer Options, I see the codec has switched back to AAC on its own.

Playback via Tidal. I have UAPP installed too but have switched it off for now.

What's going on here? Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Ok I got it to switch to LDAC. I decided to check my actual Bluetooth settings, and lo and behold there's an option for setting playback quality there too!

Screenshot_20210618-163105_cropped.png
Screenshot_20210618-163128_cropped.png
It still didn't switch to LDAC immediately in the Sony app, so I went to developer options to change it manually, and only then did the Sony app show LDAC.

Now let's hope it stays on LDAC! Because the difference in SQ is immediately obvious, and it's not subtle. This is the #1 reason I got the XM4, and two tracks in I can already say that I'm not disappointed. More impressions to follow...

(Hope the above helps anyone stuck with the same issue)
I went thru this same thing. Annoying the hoops you have to jump thru to get LDAC going. They advertise LDAC as a feature, but don't expect the general public to know all these steps. Granted, it may more be an Android problem.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #480 of 2,999
I went thru this same thing. Annoying the hoops you have to jump thru to get LDAC going. They advertise LDAC as a feature, but don't expect the general public to know all these steps. Granted, it may more be an Android problem.
I just use a cheap DAP, like M0, Q1, R3...they can switch between codecs easily and they are relatively cheap. The problem with Android codec is Google does not allow users to switch to LDAC unless they turn it on in Developer options. I think the problem is why Google does not make it easier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back