Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #436 of 2,999
IMO it needed a 7 band at least but ideally 10 band , I tend to use the EQ's in PowerAmp on phone and MusicBee on PC so the headphone are not holding settings between devices (someone said here these do) but TBH the best I can get so far is no EQ or shaping,

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #437 of 2,999
What would *really* be awesome is a proper PEQ. That said, based on the supplied graphs vs. harman (if that's your pref) it looks like 400 / 1k can't really do anything with, while 2.5 maybe a boost of 5 and 6.3 and 16k maybe 7-8. I like the low end of Harman but not much a fan of the treble, I'd probably chop 2-3 db off those adjustments. It's a shame there aren't adjustments at 150 and 500.

Have any reviews shown what the chart looks like once remeasured with some adjustments, how close it can actually get?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #438 of 2,999
That's what I've been using today. Not set in stone yet but similar to what I've already seen by others. Brings the treble a bit more forward - overall (and after quite some burn in already) a very pleasant sounding TWS.

84CA8E67-31B2-4CC0-ADB9-A6651D925E6A.jpeg

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #439 of 2,999
I've read the posts of different individuals complaining about the xm4 "lack" of treble. Definitely a subjective thing. I prefer the epro tips on the xm4, but am happy with the treble response, as I'm listening to Miles Davis as I type this. At the same time, my favorite headphones are the Nighthawk and Z1-r, so I skew in the darker side of detailed. I don't feel any lack of treble in any of those headphones nor do I in xm4, it's just not prominent. At the same time, I don't like titanium tweeters in my car audio, and don't like Focal nor Sennheiser upper tier headphones treble, so I guess I'm a Sony type.
I'm not a mega fan of recent Sony tunings, which lean towards a darker sound, not to mention bass and sub-bass being way more pumped than years ago, but still like them because sometimes you get magic if paired with the right source and content.

The MDR-Z1R show that more than any other Sony model IMO - not perfect in general but absolutely perfect sometimes when everything aligns.

These WFXM4 I haven't heard yet but had the WHXM3/4 and expect a similar signature in tiny format, so I'd guess the Comply-ish tips won't help those who prefer a brighter, grainier sound (like myself).

EQ and silicon should mitigate that decently although the latter will cost you in passive isolation, hurting that feeling of ANC being good enough to lead tier 1.

Multipoint however, still my #1 peeve with these. Not acceptable given launch date/tier/price.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #440 of 2,999
Reading through all of the thread, I think I can capture the sentiment…. The XM4 have clear/dark sound, great/terrible touch controls, fit well/horribly, are reliable/buggy, come with tips that are great/terrible, put out clear/muddy sound, sport battery life that is good/inconsistent, have excellent/useless ANC, and are best in class / worse than a $50 TWS. Does that about cover it, folks? :)

Couldn't have expressed it better. I can tell you've been around reviews before. 🤣

My main whining point was not subjective tho so I'll stick to that one. No Multipoint support. Some work on the firmware is needed - I doubt Sony will do it, as most of the public is still unaware of the feature.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #441 of 2,999
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #442 of 2,999
Mine arrived this afternoon and I connected them to my iPhone, downloaded the fw update and set my preferences in the app and then put them back to fully charge. Am now using them over ldac from my Sony A55 Walkman and it certainly sounds very good.

Does anybody know if the eq preferences set in the app are stored in the buds and active when used from the A55 (the control options I set are functional from the A55 so they must be stored in the buds).

None of the stock tips could pass the seal check so I’m now using the Final E tips that I also use on my XM3, Z1R and Blon’s.
What's the battery time on LDAC for you?

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #443 of 2,999
I'm not a mega fan of recent Sony tunings, which lean towards a darker sound, not to mention bass and sub-bass being way more pumped than years ago, but still like them because sometimes you get magic if paired with the right source and content.

The MDR-Z1R show that more than any other Sony model IMO - not perfect in general but absolutely perfect sometimes when everything aligns.

These WFXM4 I haven't heard yet but had the WHXM3/4 and expect a similar signature in tiny format, so I'd guess the Comply-ish tips won't help those who prefer a brighter, grainier sound (like myself).

EQ and silicon should mitigate that decently although the latter will cost you in passive isolation, hurting that feeling of ANC being good enough to lead tier 1.

Multipoint however, still my #1 peeve with these. Not acceptable given launch date/tier/price.
Here's the thing. I also own Noble Falcon Pro. Subpar app, no active noise cancelation, no automatic ambient mode, and a $320 price point. So, with that said, I'm not hating the Sony for no multipoint. Also, as someone else pointed out, with the app installed on your devices, even with it connected to a different device, pressing connect on the new device disconnects from device 1 and connects to device 2 in 1 step, so it's not cumbersome switching between 2 or even 3 devices.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #444 of 2,999
There seem to be some degradation when using EQ.
switching between ‘off’ and a custom EQ that does nothing I hear a clear difference. It just sounds more congested.
I now use a silicone tip (epro EP01) to get better treble and leave the EQ off.
anyone else hear this?

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #445 of 2,999
There seem to be some degradation when using EQ.
switching between ‘off’ and a custom EQ that does nothing I hear a clear difference. It just sounds more congested.
I now use a silicone tip (epro EP01) to get better treble and leave the EQ off.
anyone else hear this?

I just switched to silicone tips and just turned off the EQ. Took the dog for a 40 minute walk and these sound the best they have so far.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #446 of 2,999
Just opened my little Dunu Pelican looking case that I keep lots of different tips in and started tip rolling with the XM4 - I have a few pairs of different silicone tips I have been trying. The pair I linked in a post not too far above, also spinfits (did not like), and this other set I'm on now. If you feel the sound is a bit too warm, get off the stock tips and get to the silicone stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #448 of 2,999
Here's the thing. I also own Noble Falcon Pro. Subpar app, no active noise cancelation, no automatic ambient mode, and a $320 price point. So, with that said, I'm not hating the Sony for no multipoint. Also, as someone else pointed out, with the app installed on your devices, even with it connected to a different device, pressing connect on the new device disconnects from device 1 and connects to device 2 in 1 step, so it's not cumbersome switching between 2 or even 3 devices.

Not sure if you've already covered this, but I'm curious how you'd rate the SQ of the Nobles against the XM4s. Obviously they're different signatures overall, but how does the bass quality and imaging compare in particular?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #449 of 2,999
Anyone use it with jvc spiral dot XL? Can fit into case?

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #450 of 2,999
Not sure you'd have much luck with only a five-band EQ, but you should be able to find the frequency response curve of the XM4s somewhere online (try this review) to give it a go. It's not actually too far off the Harman Response Curve -- pull down the mid-bass a bit and boost the 4K+ and you'd be on the right track.
Here's the default FR graph and there's also graphs for each EQ preset and mode. Not sure who was asking anymore but it may be useful to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back