Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #421 of 2,999
It makes little difference to me TBH, I know outside it will do next to nothing but indoor with road outside wish it did, funny thing the poor passive isolating SoundPeats T2 did well (same for Gamesky, poor passive good ANC) and yes I know sound conflicting but could not keep due battery claim was BS even at half the claimed Vol so 30%.
Not quite sure what you mean by “outside it will do nothing.” Can you explain a little more? For me the ANC outside has been effective. Not “cone of silence” effective, and I am pretty sure I would hear jackhammers, but it does eliminate most sound, and music at a reasonable level will do the rest for most outside noises I have encountered…. But, maybe I misunderstood you?

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #422 of 2,999
Reading through all of the thread, I think I can capture the sentiment…. The XM4 have clear/dark sound, great/terrible touch controls, fit well/horribly, are reliable/buggy, come with tips that are great/terrible, put out clear/muddy sound, sport battery life that is good/inconsistent, have excellent/useless ANC, and are best in class / worse than a $50 TWS. Does that about cover it, folks? :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #423 of 2,999
ANC does next to nothing for me walking along a road with cars/people unlike the BS claims some make esp. on YT, it can work for some AC/Fans running, in fact it makes some noises more annoying.

It does not do anything for most sounds, it is all about the low end even though Sony claim this has a little mid range effectiveness unlike before (voices), I sure with I had poor hearing at times.

Right now listening to Depeche Mode and it sounds really bad where as it should be amazing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #424 of 2,999
ANC does next to nothing for me walking along a road with cars/people unlike the BS claims some make esp. on YT, it can work for some AC/Fans running, in fact it makes some noises more annoying.

It does not do anything for most sounds, it is all about the low end even though Sony claim this has a little mid range effectiveness unlike before (voices), I sure with I had poor hearing at times.

Right now listening to Depeche Mode and it sounds really bad where as it should be amazing.
OK, thanks for your perspective! For me the ANC is effective - more effective on lower frequencies and less so on higher frequencies, but even for higher frequencies I definitely notice the difference. I am not expecting a cone of silence but rather significant reduction in noise, and thus my expectations are met and I am more satisfied than dissatisfied. I will count myself as fortunate, and hope that you will return your XM4 and find a TWS that will bring you great satisfaction.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #426 of 2,999
I haven't really got a horse in this race but I have been following this thread as an LDAC fan.

Seems a real drag that people are having to reset "best quality" every time.

Anyhow hope that gets figured out.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #427 of 2,999
ANC was not the big selling point for me and nor is TWS, I would love a high end neckband.
I had a Fiio LDAC neckband for my iems but the 2 pin connectors were terrible.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #428 of 2,999
Have now been listening for 3 hours on ldac from A55 with and without anc. Rock solid connection and good sound. Battery still showed 70% left.

Then shifted to my iPad Pro over aac with anc enabled for 30 minutes from Tidal. Aac preference for sound. Again rock solid connection and good sound.

Finally 30 minutes from my iPhone11 Pro again with anc. Playing from Tidal. Aac preference for sound displays a fair bit of stuttering, about every 10-15 seconds. With preference for connection stability there is still some stuttering though now oerhaps once a minute.

62% left on the battery after near 4 hours mixed use.

ANC to me is very effective, at least as good as on the XM3 and almost eliminates the sound from cars, busses and trains plus the AC going next to me at home. Also clearly reduces but not eliminates the sound from the tv in the same room.

Don’t know why there is stuttering on the iPhone11 Pro but not the iPad Pro or A55.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #431 of 2,999
I haven't really got a horse in this race but I have been following this thread as an LDAC fan.

Seems a real drag that people are having to reset "best quality" every time.

Anyhow hope that gets figured out.
It remembers BestQuality/LDAC for me. I set it once, and it hasn't reverted to Best Connection ever. Well, not in a week, with daily use.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #432 of 2,999
Reading through all of the thread, I think I can capture the sentiment…. The XM4 have clear/dark sound, great/terrible touch controls, fit well/horribly, are reliable/buggy, come with tips that are great/terrible, put out clear/muddy sound, sport battery life that is good/inconsistent, have excellent/useless ANC, and are best in class / worse than a $50 TWS. Does that about cover it, folks? :)
Yes, you’ve got it :darthsmile:

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #433 of 2,999
I felt like electric guitars were lacking body, so I up'd the bass.
This is my EQ for now

Screenshot_20210617-223630.png

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #434 of 2,999
Great observations! Also, I forgot how many trolls these consumer IEM threads attract. 😝

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #435 of 2,999
Kinda wondering if someone knows how to EQ them to Harman 2018 curve.

Not sure you'd have much luck with only a five-band EQ, but you should be able to find the frequency response curve of the XM4s somewhere online (try this review) to give it a go. It's not actually too far off the Harman Response Curve -- pull down the mid-bass a bit and boost the 4K+ and you'd be on the right track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back