Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #391 of 2,999
Has anyone compared the sound quality of these with that of the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 (MTW2)? I know the MTW2's have been out for over a year now and are based on older tech (BT 5.1 vs 5.2), but I'm really only interested in which one gets closer to audiophile sound quality.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #392 of 2,999
After todays new FW they seem louder and keep that loudness switching Codecs or off/on but time will tell.

Still getting that little 1sec disconnect on the L Bud and sometimes both buds that this was meant to fix.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #393 of 2,999
Is there no way to make the ambient mode pause the music? :/ That along with no fully customizable controls sucks.

I've had my pair for a few hours, after some tweaking with the EQ they sound pretty good, the asking price is pretty steep (300-ish EUR) but with the excellent build quality along with the great tech Sony can make a case.

However I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep them since there's no telling if these will get all the upcoming features of BT 5.2/LC3.

Comfort is excellent so far at least (using SednaEarfit crystal).

Attachments

• Screenshot (17 juni 2021 17 08 49)(1).png
    Screenshot (17 juni 2021 17 08 49)(1).png
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210617_151130430.jpg
    PXL_20210617_151130430.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #396 of 2,999
They made all my other earphones sound great bar my neckband which became too boomy (the larger Xelastec's and Crystal's same thing bar size issues for TWS cases) and these Sony's

The Xelastec's make these stick out with a gap behind them like that guy in the photo earlier in this thread.

I own all 6 of their range so 3 types but 3 for normal fit and 3 short fit for TWS cases.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #398 of 2,999
I cannot lie on my side with them, be nice to be able to adjust sensitivity or disable the touchpad via voice or app for night use as even lying on my back when my heads sinks into the pillow it can trigger ANC/Amb or other side Google Assist.

But TBH these give me less peace and quiet even with Crystal and ANC on and 30% Vol with brown noise than some other non ANC earphones, I can still hear outside noise be it reduced for some tones.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #399 of 2,999
Thanks for that - was trying to figure out which ones would be best!
Upon further inspection there are other differences between epro tws and ep01. The 01 also has a wider bore as well as being taller. Tws on the right, ep01 on the left

Attachments

• 20210617_083719.jpg
    20210617_083719.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #400 of 2,999
These earphones make me think I might actually enjoy Sony's house sound. They are very warm, but I still find them uncongested and detailed enough. They are very forgiving and it just sounds pleasant to listen to them.
I haven't tested the ANC properly, but I can't hear the low hiss it used to make on precious earphones.
They are very isolating even without ANC, which I did not expect and I enjoy it very much.
I bought them because I needed something that sounded good with ANC and sweat proof and, so far I can say that I'm satisfied with them.
I had a couple bugs, but they can be corrected with updates.
FYI, I've using them with a Pixel 5 (LDAC, even tho I mostly listen to Spotify max quality)

If the WH connected to the PS5 and/or a fast codec, I would actually buy them.

I've eq'd my Audeze Penrose to sound closer to this.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #401 of 2,999
Yep. But it will be tuned to the liking of the majority of their customers.
Which is exactly what these are so I don’t understand your problem. You were clearly saying that these were not tuned to their best

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #402 of 2,999
Upon further inspection there are other differences between epro tws and ep01. The 01 also has a wider bore as well as being taller. Tws on the right, ep01 on the left
hmm I think the ep01 should be better? But the stock tips kinda the same shape as the TWS ones. Honestly don't know what ones to order.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #403 of 2,999
Is there no way to make the ambient mode pause the music? :/ That along with no fully customizable controls sucks.

I've had my pair for a few hours, after some tweaking with the EQ they sound pretty good, the asking price is pretty steep (300-ish EUR) but with the excellent build quality along with the great tech Sony can make a case.

However I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep them since there's no telling if these will get all the upcoming features of BT 5.2/LC3.

Comfort is excellent so far at least (using SednaEarfit crystal).

The control options are a bit limited to Sony's preset sets, but the Speak to Chat option is perhaps what you're looking for and it works very effectively -- detects when you are speaking, pauses music and turns on ambient mode

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #404 of 2,999
The control options are a bit limited to Sony's preset sets, but the Speak to Chat option is perhaps what you're looking for and it works very effectively -- detects when you are speaking, pauses music and turns on ambient mode

Yes it worked really well, problem is that I sometimes like to hum to the music, so I had to turn it off :)

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #405 of 2,999
hmm I think the ep01 should be better? But the stock tips kinda the same shape as the TWS ones. Honestly don't know what ones to order.

I'm a bit stuck, too... it's hard to tell if the shallower TWS ones will be too shallow to seat properly in my ear canal before the body of the earphone hits my ear. Stock large tips are 8mm deep, vs 6.5mm for the ePro TWS and what looks like >8mm for the EP00. Depends on ear shape I guess. Some people might like a closer fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back