Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #331 of 2,999
Mmm had a weird issue with the left bud failing to play after coming back from speak to chat, it plays earbud announcements but no audio... had to do a case reset to get them working again... anyone else?

Edit 1: And it happened again!
Edit 2: and again

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #332 of 2,999
Do you have a link to the epro ep01? I looked on Amazon UK but not found them. What size do we need for the XM4?
They are not available in Europe

Jun 16, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #334 of 2,999
Jun 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #335 of 2,999
Jun 16, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #336 of 2,999
After a couple of days with the XM4 buds, I think they are really lacking in the comfort department, at least for me. They especially hurt my left ear quite a bit when using them for longer than an hour or so. Kind of a shame as they are very solid otherwise. Good sound (thank god for the EQ in the app), solid call quality (I had two MS Teams calls with them this morning and people said I sounded “fine”), great passive + active noise canceling and a pretty good battery life.

So, even though the case’s hinge is somewhat flimsy, they have a lot going for them and I cannot even use LDAC being an Apple user. But (for me) they are quite an uncomfortable set of InEars and they are also quite chunky/bulky in the ear.

Still on the fence whether to keep them or not because of the comfort issues primarily.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #337 of 2,999
After a couple of days with the XM4 buds, I think they are really lacking in the comfort department, at least for me. They especially hurt my left ear quite a bit when using them for longer than an hour or so. Kind of a shame as they are very solid otherwise. Good sound (thank god for the EQ in the app), solid call quality (I had two MS Teams calls with them this morning and people said I sounded “fine”), great passive + active noise canceling and a pretty good battery life.

So, even though the case’s hinge is somewhat flimsy, they have a lot going for them and I cannot even use LDAC being an Apple user. But (for me) they are quite an uncomfortable set of InEars and they are also quite chunky/bulky in the ear.

Still on the fence whether to keep them or not because of the comfort issues primarily.
Yes no matter all the positives, if they are not comfortable it’s just no good. Though you may have to give it some days of regular use for your ears to get used to new pressure points before making up your mind, I’ve had several in ears that were uncomfortable at first but are now great for many hours use

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #338 of 2,999
Yes, of course the EQ can help, but I’d like to use it as a last resort, as IMO the default tuning of the headphone should be as good as possible. I tried the EQ presets and “Excited” sounds like a (very) exaggerated version of the Sony house sound that I’m hearing in N3AP and A3: ever so slightly grainy but lively, and with nice bass reverb and extension.
I understand, and have had many of the same thoughts as you on this regarding not wanting to rely on EQ. Eventually I realized something…. Many people love headphones or earphones that I dislike, and dislike ones that I like. Ultimately each of us hear differently, and each of us like different things. Anyway, I am happy to apply EQ as needed - Wavelet has salvaged for me a few headphones and earphones…

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #339 of 2,999

I had issues initially and realized I was twisting them too far, resulting in a pressure point. Twisting them a bit away from the folds of my ear reduced the pressure so as not to bother me anymore. Would that help you?

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #340 of 2,999
I had issues initially and realized I was twisting them too far, resulting in a pressure point. Twisting them a bit away from the folds of my ear reduced the pressure so as not to bother me anymore. Would that help you?
Yeah, I've been testing various "positions" and some are definitely better than others. Agree on your point as well to wait a couple more days at least to see if the ears adjust to the pressure points. If they do, I might just keep them. I like that they can be quite loud when needed as well :)

Btw., since no one has replied yet, do you by chance know where we can buy the new hybrid foam tips the come with? Haven't seen them anywhere yet (which also bugs me a bit lol).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #341 of 2,999
Yeah, I've been testing various "positions" and some are definitely better than others. Agree on your point as well to wait a couple more days at least to see if the ears adjust to the pressure points. If they do, I might just keep them. I like that they can be quite loud when needed as well :)

Btw., since no one has replied yet, do you by chance know where we can buy the new hybrid foam tips the come with? Haven't seen them anywhere yet (which also bugs me a bit lol).
I haven’t found any. But I will try some other tips this weekend.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #342 of 2,999
As good as possible for who ? There are millioms and millions of ears out there all with different oppinions on what as good as possible is.This product is targeted to the general population As good as possible for the masses. Of course.

As good as possible for who ? There are millioms and millions of ears out there all with different oppinions on what as good as possible is.

This product is targeted to the general public so the tuning will be as good as possible for the masses. Obviously.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #343 of 2,999
Too much hassle and time to wait, not sure how good Sony are but a refund from Amazon will be done as soon a I drop it of and it it scanned at shop even before it gets back to Amazon.

Bad luck if I did as it was the very 1st pre-order batch on Amazon UK.

I really should be chasing SoundPeats up for those Sonic's and the H1 Prem's to be replaced I helped fund on Kickstarter but it seem a common issue should would rather they fixed it via a revision.
Sony will be following Amazon's return policy.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #344 of 2,999
This product is targeted to the general public so the tuning will be as good as possible for the masses. Obviously.
From which follows that unless you consider yourself and your preferences to be “one of the masses” the deafault tuning is not going to be to your liking and you’ll have to use eq or find a bud that is stock tuned to your preference

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #345 of 2,999
Cool little trick I found accidentally; the buds can be stuck together (via magnets, of course) just in case you have to place them down and don't want to put them in their case. Maybe all wireless earbuds with a magnetic case do this, but I wouldn't know since this is my first pair 😂

Attachments

• IMG_8650 2.jpg
    IMG_8650 2.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back