Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #316 of 3,023
Encompass (the US Sony Parts distributor/dealer) gave me a run-around on chat regarding the tips, which they do list, but which are "unavailable" to buy or order and "we don't carry them." So I contacted Sony USA customer service via chat. They apologized, said they'd get in touch with Encompass to clarify the situation, and said to check Encompass in about two weeks to see if they're listed.

Anyway, I do like the XM4. I am not an earbud aficionado, as I usually don't like wearing them. But these are comfortable, the tip material doesn't irritate my ears, and the sound is clear and well-defined (I am using one of the previously posted EQ settings, with an increasing curve upwards from the mids, but no True Bass, which I find muddies the bass). I have only been listening via LDAC, from my WM-1A, without any EQ from the player (which has more available settings than the XM4). I also find that Bluetooth pairing and unpairing is very, very fast, as I went between my iPhone and the player to change the settings and check the earbud fit.

I am running them with ANC on, because when I use any earbuds (or some closed headphones) I can hear my pulse noise if I don't.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #317 of 3,023
Great question, and I’ll try to answer this as I own both XBA-N3AP and XBA-A3, and really like them for their sound signature. My opinion on A3 is here… The WF-1000XM4 arrived yesterday, and I’m still in the burn-in phase, so this initial perception might vary with time.

The WF-1000XM4 sound very “smooth”, and definitely nice out of the box. Compared to N3AP, the bass is similar in amount, but doesn’t reach as deep. (N3AP occasionally produces that surprising sub-bass rumble that stirs excitement). Soundstage and detail resolution are also comparable, with the N3AP seemingly pushing the instruments a little more to the outside, in order to create a roomier impression. WF-1000XM4 is spaced more natural, but no match to the expansive soundstage of XBA-A3. Trebles of WF-1000XM4, unfortunately, remind me of the the much older XBA-A3, with an ever so slightly hissing BA character. In that respect the N3AP has finer and more natural tuning in the high frequencies.

Which brings me to my gripe: while the WF-1000XM4 ticks all boxes across the frequency range and resolution, it is tuned so “smooth”, that my favored tracks, so far, definitely don’t stir the same excitement that I feel when listening to N3AP. In my book, it lacks character! I think little details like superb bass reverberation and a certain “grain” in some frequencies make the N3AP and also the A3 a more interesting listen, and a better representation of the famous Sony house sound.

Of course, comparing cables with a TWS is a little „apples and oranges“, but IMO the sound signature of WF-1000XM4 could have been tuned towards a slightly more individual character. But don’t get me wrong: it is a very competent and accomplished sounding TWS, overall.
Have you tried the eq yet ? You can custom tune a bit by ear, to match the mid-range and treble of your liking

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #318 of 3,023
Have you tried the eq yet ? You can custom tune a bit by ear, to match the mid-range and treble of your liking
Yes, of course the EQ can help, but I’d like to use it as a last resort, as IMO the default tuning of the headphone should be as good as possible. I tried the EQ presets and “Excited” sounds like a (very) exaggerated version of the Sony house sound that I’m hearing in N3AP and A3: ever so slightly grainy but lively, and with nice bass reverb and extension.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #319 of 3,023
Yes, of course the EQ can help, but I’d like to use it as a last resort, as IMO the default tuning of the headphone should be as good as possible. I tried the EQ presets and “Excited” sounds like a (very) exaggerated version of the Sony house sound that I’m hearing in N3AP and A3: ever so slightly grainy but lively, and with nice bass reverb and extension.
As good as possible for who ? There are millioms and millions of ears out there all with different oppinions on what as good as possible is.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #320 of 3,023
I found bright to be more balanced, while still being warm neutral side of things. I do have an eq suggestion some pages ago thats a variation of it (7), sort of my take on it.
I do believe in the choice of deciding what sounds we can accept, whether its enjoyable, musical or even correct to ones ears
(which I believe even a company like sony doesn't deliver all the time to all their customers with their products).

But I do respect your opinion.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #321 of 3,023
In the end I think the answer "as good as possible" is of course personal preference. So regardless of the fact that Sony has to make their headphones for the masses it really boils down to is this "right for me".

I own the XM3 and completely understand the to smooth comment BTW that how I hear that model as well. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I also find it's not as exciting as I like.

I used to own the XBA-Z5 until it untimely death to crappy MMCX connectors. In comparison from memory that IEM had some of that "it" factor the XM3 and from the sounds of it XM4 might be missing.

The good news is the XM4 allows for the best codecs and bit rate plus EQ as compared to the older models where you had to sacrifice the codec and bitrate to use EQ. So might be able to tweak the sound with experimentation.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #322 of 3,023
Mine are due tomorrow and I cannot stress enough how the XM3 improved with EQ. You need to really experiment including with DSEEX and don’t be afraid to really push the EQ.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #323 of 3,023
So I got the XM4 yesterday; curiosity got the better of me. I used the medium foam tips, not bad. I configured them, listened to the playlist I typically use to test new phones and decided to send them back. Are they bad? No. Good? Yes, pretty good. Are they $160 better than my current favorite pair of TW phones, the Melomania 1+? No.

About 30 minutes of comparo listening made the decision easy. Also, those new tips did get a bit itchy after 30 minutes. And the fit got a bit annoying, felt like I had to keep adjusting them and checking the app to see if they were sealed properly. Nice app feature, but with most of my in-ear phones I know when I have a tight, secure fit. I thought I did with the XM4s, but the app said no. Too much fiddling.

They are very nice TW phones, not knocking them. But for $139 and even with just passive NC (the CAs are amazingly good at sound blocking; not Etys, but close enough) I realized I didn't need the next great TW ANC phones. I've owned some others (Senn, Jabra, Nuarl, Sony XM3 and original Sony TW in-ear phones) but the M1+ just hits the sweet spot of price to performance. They don't get much attention here, which is fine. The Touch is mentioned more. I have that too (bought it based on my experience with CA and the original Melomanias). Anyway, this is a FWIW post. Don't expect anyone to have the same experience. Just wanted to add to the multitude of opinions on the XM4.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #324 of 3,023
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #325 of 3,023
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #326 of 3,023
The T-500 is what I returned. They're listed on Amazon only for these Sonys (but the packaging itself listed only one model that's not on Amazon's list - and I didn't write it down (something with a "200" I think):
DR-EX12iP, MDR-EX38, MDR-EX650, MDR-EX750, MDR-NC750, MDR-XB50, MDR-XB70, XBA-A3, XBA-H1, XBA-H3, XBA-Z5

I didn't want to open them and try them out. I have the TX-500 on hand but haven't seen if they fit.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #329 of 3,023
I believe I posted earlier. If you are looking for more mid range and treble you should ordsr epro ep01 tips on Amazon. The horn like tips allow the upper frequencies to shine more on this smooth sounding tws. I put the Sony tips on my Campfire Solaris and received pleasant results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back