Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #301 of 2,999
Don't worry, you're not alone. Most people can't tell the difference once you go higher in resolution than Spotify's 320kbs current top tier. People say they can hear a difference but it generally doesn't stand up to blind ABX testing, regardless of the amount spent on source and IEM. The easiest thing to do is to try an ABX test for yourself - http://abx.digitalfeed.net/spotify-hq.html
Thanks for this. I did the test over 10 samples and I could barely tell any difference. In fact I was amazed I got 80% correct. My initial question around is my setup correct was because some people suggest there is a big difference, its "night and day" etc etc and I'm just not hearing that. I think they are good, don't get me wrong, I'm just not blown away and don't hear any different with ultra HD etc. Maybe I'm just too old 😂

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #303 of 2,999
Do not need your sarcasm, if you have nothing constructive to add others input then best to just be quiet.

FYI This is the impression thread not fanboy thread and do not speak for others.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #304 of 2,999
Did full reset last night, there is two modes via the Sony App, I have not done the charge case method so far.

Stuck in stock L tips even though they do not fit 100% and when I move my jaw I know this for sure but someone said the other tips may be ruing the sound so I tried.

Today went a walk and paused them to enter a shop, on coming back out I tried to resume but got a beep beep, pressed a 2nd time they resumed in R bud only, pressed and held bottom to be told assistant is not active and I heard this in both Buds so L is active.

Has to do a power down/power on and they work till the same happened again after I again paused/tried to resume playback..

Came home and no matter what I could not get the assistant to work as it loads up a help webpage instead of opening my phones my Google settings to accept the Voice Set up.

I eventually after a few resets got it to work again as it did on day one, not sure why this is happening.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #305 of 2,999
Did full reset last night, there is two modes via the Sony App, I have not done the charge case method so far.

Stuck in stock L tips even though they do not fit 100% and when I move my jaw I know this for sure but someone said the other tips may be ruing the sound so I tried.

Today went a walk and paused them to enter a shop, on coming back out I tried to resume but got a beep beep, pressed a 2nd time they resumed in R bud only, pressed and held bottom to be told assistant is not active.

Has to do a power down/power on and they work till the same happened again after I again paused tried to resume playback..

Came home and no matter what I could not get the assistant to work as it loads up a help webpage instead of opening my phones my Googfle settings to accept the Voice Set up.

I eventually after a few resets got it to work again as it did on day one, not sure why this is happening.
Sounds like you may have a defective unit. Multiple failures point to an issue with your set. Perhaps return them RMA.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #306 of 2,999
Too much hassle and time to wait, not sure how good Sony are but a refund from Amazon will be done as soon a I drop it of and it it scanned at shop even before it gets back to Amazon.

Bad luck if I did as it was the very 1st pre-order batch on Amazon UK.

I really should be chasing SoundPeats up for those Sonic's and the H1 Prem's to be replaced I helped fund on Kickstarter but it seem a common issue should would rather they fixed it via a revision.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #309 of 2,999
I know that in this corner sound quality is what we value above all, but I'm seriously disappointed that these came out without Bluetooth Multipoint support, considering price and that it's mid-2021 (and that the chipset supports it). No one seems to care about this tho, maybe it's just me.
Maybe they'll add it via firmware upgrades but doubt it. Lazy Sony.

Talking about firmware, seeing a few issues reported here and there that really sound just like bugs in the initial production code. The Samsung Galaxy Buds (and Buds Pro) as well as several other BT sets all came out a bit buggy and issues were solved after a few updates. Probably not worth returning your sets and getting new ones at this point unless you're sure it's a hardware issue with your particular unit.

I might get them to check out. Currently using the Huawei FreeBuds Pro when I need wireless buds. The 11mm driver is pretty decent and it has Multipoint as a bonuts, but battery life is Meh and ANC isn't all that great, probably because they seem a bit too ventilated and passive isolation is already average to begin with.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #310 of 2,999
FWIW: some very first impressions: Just received my XM4s 3 hours ago and the only time I have had them out, was to change the tips to the Comply Truegrip for Sony. I have used those for the XM3 and it was just like coming home when I switched. Everything else is really to my liking, just the looks make me want to wear them outdoors, which I didn’t with the XM3s. Comfort wise a big step up. I do think they are an upgrade in every aspect compared with the XM3s. The sound fuller with more separation, nothing muddy to my ears. Yes, it is recommended to do som fiddling with the EQ. I started out with the ”excited” option, turned down the clear bass some notches. So far really happy. I guess it is correct that the PI7 probably sound better, but I do like the other features on the Sony’s. Speak to chat is quite interesting, because now I can have volume control on the left and play control on the right. If I want contact to the surroundings, I can just clear my throat, then I am good for a conversation - hopefully short though :darthsmile:

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #311 of 2,999
I know that in this corner sound quality is what we value above all, but I'm seriously disappointed that these came out without Bluetooth Multipoint support, considering price and that it's mid-2021 (and that the chipset supports it). No one seems to care about this tho, maybe it's just me.
Maybe they'll add it via firmware upgrades but doubt it. Lazy Sony.
The only reason I'm not making it a big deal is because I don't have to disconnect them from my previous device when connecting to a new one. I can tolerate no multipoint if I can just connect to whatever device I'm using without disconnecting. It's when I have to disconnect first that it really bugs me.

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #312 of 2,999
FWIW: some very first impressions: Just received my XM4s 3 hours ago and the only time I have had them out, was to change the tips to the Comply Truegrip for Sony. I have used those for the XM3 and it was just like coming home when I switched. Everything else is really to my liking, just the looks make me want to wear them outdoors, which I didn’t with the XM3s. Comfort wise a big step up. I do think they are an upgrade in every aspect compared with the XM3s. The sound fuller with more separation, nothing muddy to my ears. Yes, it is recommended to do som fiddling with the EQ. I started out with the ”excited” option, turned down the clear bass some notches. So far really happy. I guess it is correct that the PI7 probably sound better, but I do like the other features on the Sony’s. Speak to chat is quite interesting, because now I can have volume control on the left and play control on the right. If I want contact to the surroundings, I can just clear my throat, then I am good for a conversation - hopefully short though :darthsmile:
Or you can do like I do and say a cool word or phrase that makes you feel like inspector gadget LOL. I like to say something like, "music off", "transparency", or "microphones on" LOL. Clearing my throat wouldn't work as I have the sensitivity on low. I don't want it pausing every time I sneeze or throat clear.

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #313 of 2,999
The five phases of new earphones:
1. I wonder what these are like? (hopeful)
2. These are the best earphones ever! (manic)
3. These things are great... but... (indecisive)
4. realize the negatives.
5. look for something else.

Pretty typical here. It would be refreshing if there were leveled opinions from the get-go. I prefer to just go to hype threads and talk crap.

And how many times do Youtube reviewers label these as 'the new king?' Can we get some real reviews?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #314 of 2,999
Any comparisons to the N400 yet? I was set on buying the best TWS buds I could after being sold on the convenience trying out a cheap set -- and was pretty set on the N400 before these dropped.

Hoping we get an in-depth review compared to the PL7 and Momentum 2 soon.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #315 of 2,999
Does anyone have a chance to compare the M4 with the XBA-N3? A comparison would be of great help to me
Great question, and I’ll try to answer this as I own both XBA-N3AP and XBA-A3, and really like them for their sound signature. My opinion on A3 is here… The WF-1000XM4 arrived yesterday, and I’m still in the burn-in phase, so this initial perception might vary with time.

The WF-1000XM4 sound very “smooth”, and definitely nice out of the box. Compared to N3AP, the bass is similar in amount, but doesn’t reach as deep. (N3AP occasionally produces that surprising sub-bass rumble that stirs excitement). Soundstage and detail resolution are also comparable, with the N3AP seemingly pushing the instruments a little more to the outside, in order to create a roomier impression. WF-1000XM4 is spaced more natural, but no match to the expansive soundstage of XBA-A3. Trebles of WF-1000XM4, unfortunately, remind me of the the much older XBA-A3, with an ever so slightly hissing BA character. In that respect the N3AP has finer and more natural tuning in the high frequencies.

Which brings me to my gripe: while the WF-1000XM4 ticks all boxes across the frequency range and resolution, it is tuned so “smooth”, that my favored tracks, so far, definitely don’t stir the same excitement that I feel when listening to N3AP. In my book, it lacks character! I think little details like superb bass reverberation and a certain “grain” in some frequencies make the N3AP and also the A3 a more interesting listen, and a better representation of the famous Sony house sound.

Of course, comparing cables with a TWS is a little „apples and oranges“, but IMO the sound signature of WF-1000XM4 could have been tuned towards a slightly more individual character. But don’t get me wrong: it is a very competent and accomplished sounding TWS, overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back