Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #226 of 3,004
Got these yesterday. I’m not much an IEM guy but the sound quality is pretty good for Bluetooth. I’m only able to test AAC as I don’t have an LDAC device. Sound quality is much more resolving and punchy than AirPods Pro despite being V shaped. Better soundstage.

For me, fit with any of the tips is poor and painful after 10 minutes. ANC completely fails with the medium tips despite the app saying I have a seal. I can hear 100% of ambient sounds with zero reduction. If I jam the large tips in then ANC works and is pretty good (better than AirPods Pro for low frequency). However I can’t tolerate the large tips for long, way too painful. It’s not just that passive isolation is improved with the large tips. When I turn ANC off all the ambient sounds come back. I think it’s just that ANC nearly completely fails without a seriously tight seal. Even a slight moment causes seal break and ANC loss.

I’m on fence about keeping them. I have ordered some more tips and maybe I’ll get lucky. As it stands I’m using the medium tips with net effect of no/minimal ANC. Overall a bummer. I’m sure they will fit lots of ears and present no problems for some people.

I got these for running but that’s a total fail. They are way too heavy; they kept falling out and punching my eardrums on every step. It was a very unpleasant experience and the light weight and better fit of the AirPods wins for that application.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #227 of 3,004
Used this EQ setting all day today. Was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I listened to.

Screenshot_20210612-232637 (Medium).png

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #228 of 3,004
MyvV20 had LDAC after I installed the available android updates at the time. Might want to check into that. I might have had to set it to developer mode to access LDAC though can't remember for sure.

dweaver, thank you for that. Took many hours to install all overdue Android updates, but now when I make the connection via the WF1000xm4 app I get a quick message telling me that LDAC is being used.

Sounds excellent to me. I have a variety of 24-48 to 24-192 tunes on my phone as references. I'm happy believing that these are sounding better today than they did yesterday, pre-LDAC.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #229 of 3,004
Great news :) glad you could get it to work.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #230 of 3,004
Got mine yesterday and so far pretty impressed ... couldn't get any kind of seal / comfort balance from the stock tips though and have reverted to RHA silicones from my T20s.

Question: Is it (or will it be) possible to better customise the touch sensor functionality in the app?

I'd like to be able to keep the right 'playback control' pretty much as is but be able to map 'long press' to volume up ... similarly on the left, I like the tap to cycle through the NC modes but would prefer 'long press' to be volume down.

As it stands it appears to be that you have to accept the predetermined groupings.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #231 of 3,004
Used this EQ setting all day today. Was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I listened to.

This is the eq I use on the XM3, will see how that works on the XM4 when I get them Wednesday or Thursday

27CF71FF-D866-40F5-BBEA-E5C82B0DB321.jpeg

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #232 of 3,004
For the UK folk - where are you ordering from? Doesn't seem to be in stores yet (at least a local Curry's and John Lewis when wandering yesterday). And Amazon don't seem as if they will have stock for a bit. May be a case of waiting for a week or 2 for stock levels to catch up?

Edit - and a question, anyone preferring the silver colour over the black? Thoughts? Will it age ok?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #233 of 3,004
For the UK folk - where are you ordering from? Doesn't seem to be in stores yet (at least a local Curry's and John Lewis when wandering yesterday). And Amazon don't seem as if they will have stock for a bit. May be a case of waiting for a week or 2 for stock levels to catch up?

I normally use Amazon but they were out of stock so went with Currys online ... ordered Friday, received yesterday.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #235 of 3,004
Comparison Sony WF-1000XM4 and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

Let me begin with saying that I am an Apple user, so I don't / cannot use the Sonys with LDAC! So always keep that in mind when it comes to sound quality especially. I previously owned the MTW1 before switching to the MTW2 but could now pull the trigger on the new WF-1000XM4 for 250€ here in Germany which is, considering that they are brand new, a nice little reduction of 30€ compared to the retail price on release day.

Anyway…

Case:

While the size is much improved compared to the XM3, I'm not entirely satisfied. The hinge feels a bit "cheap" and doesn't sit as tight as I would like it to be. The case of the Momentums, while not as pocketable, feels more premium and has the more satisfying lid closing click/sound as well as less plastic. It just feels more durable. The magnets are extremely strong on the XM4 but are very good on the MTW2 case as well.

Winner: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

Build quality:

Both IEMs are built solidly. The bronze accents on the Sonys look good and feel premium. As mentioned, the case is more premium with the MTW2. The rubber material on the Sony buds feel nice. Long term durability is always the unknown factor obviously. I had the Momentums failing on me several times in the past (twice for the MTW1 and once for the MTW2).

Winner: Tie

App Support:

Much better on the Sonys. More features and settings. Better equalizer (5 band + Clear bass). Sennheiser has improved their Smart Control app over the course of time (3 band EQ e.g.) but Sonys app just has more to offer. It also shows battery levels for each bud plus the case in 1% steps. The app also feels „snappier“ than Sennheisers Smart Control app.

Winner: Sony WF-1000XM4

Comfort:

Tough to say as it is very early but the Sony buds are definitely bulkier feeling in the ear and my initial impression is that they are not as comfortable because of it. They also stick out of the ear a bit more. The new "noise cancelling" tips work for me (size L) but Sony only offers 3 sizes and no silicone tips while Sennheiser offers 4 sizes of silicone tips. Comfort naturally is a very personal thing but for me the MTW2 are more comfortable all things considered. Both of them, however, don't stand a chance against the Sennheiser IE300 e.g. - one of the most comfortable IEMs I have ever bought.

Winner: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

ANC:

No contest. Clear win for the Sonys. I never felt that the ANC on the MTW2 was particularly strong in the first place, so nobody should buy them for their ANC performance imo. The XM4, however, cancel noise very effectively for IEMs. The "foam" tips help the cause as well. There is a significant audible reduction once ANC is turned on. Not as impressive as on over ear headphone like my Airpods Max of course but still pretty impressive for "small" buds. Adaptive ANC and the automatic wind reduction are also nice features in direct comparison.

Battery Life:

Better on the Sonys even though that's an early call of course. The MTW2 usually and on average lasted me for +- 5 (with ANC) to 6 hours (without ANC). The Sony can definitely top that I can already very easily see that after a couple hours of usage. Exact figures I have yet to test but there is no doubt that the Sonys last longer than the Sennheiser.

Microphones and Ambient Sound:

I feel that the XM4 microphones at this early point are just ok. Better than the XM3s from what I hear but nothing really special. Maybe it will improve a bit with firmware updates still (I think it did for the XM3). It gets the job done for the odd phone call (just had one with it though and it was quite good but also in a very quiet place). The MTW2 microphones are slightly more effective for me but not by much. I like the ambient sound mode a little bit more on the Sonys though and also the fact that it can be adjusted in the app which is always nice and (unfortunately) you cannot do that on the MTW2. Also, the noise/hiss perceivable in Sennheiser ambient sound mode is more present than it is on the XM4. So, even though I expected a bit more from Sonys microphones this time around, it is still a draw for me here because of the better ambient sound mode.

Winner: Tie

Sound Quality:

This is kind of a tough/close call. I definitely prefer the MTW2 stock (!) tuning here. So if we're only comparing that then the Sennheiser definitely win. The stock tuning is more detailed and "spacious" in comparison. The highs are crisper, sparkle more and are just more pronounced. The Sonys on the other hand are very smooth and relaxed but are lacking details in the highs quite a bit. Some people might even find the Sonys a tad (too) dark sounding. Of course, as mentioned at the beginning, things might be possibly different using LDAC, I cannot tell. However, the equalizer is more „refined“ in Sonys app due to it being 5 band instead of only a 3 band EQ, so you can do more with that on the XM4. I have yet to figure out the best EQ setting for the XM4 and need a bit more time with them but I can already tell that the sound can be improved and tuned more to my liking with this equalizer. That said, the “high end tuning” switch/feature in Sennheisers app which was introduced a couple of months ago improved the MTW2 sound even more and so far, while sounding good, the Sonys don’t sound better than the MTW2 and give the latter the edge in sound quality for me. However, a major gripe for me was the lack of enough headroom when it comes to volume levels on iOS devices for the MTW2. I always had to listen to them north of 70% volume to get adequate volume levels (especially on older recordings!) and to enjoy the sound. I don’t have this problem on the XM4. They are or can be a bit louder than the MTW2 which I always like because enough volume is there whenever needed.

Winner: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 (ever so slightly)

Bottom line:

The Sennheiser win in pure sound quality, are a bit more comfortable and have the better case. The Sonys win in ANC performance, battery life and have the better app with more features and settings. Build quality, microphones and the ambient sound mode are somewhat draw-ish (to me).

Pick your poison, folks :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #237 of 3,004
Anyone using these with Note 20 ultra, my default codec is AAC, it let me switch to LDAC but then just goes straight back to AAC. Anyone know why & how to fix si it stays on LDAC?
Have you tried enabling LDAC in the bluetooth settings for your XM4's?

I had this exact issue yesterday on my Samsung A70 and searched for a solution and a guy had posted a video showing that ... connect via BT, then go to the BT settings for the connection and enable LDAC ... mine's works now.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #238 of 3,004
Jun 13, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #239 of 3,004
Have you tried enabling LDAC in the bluetooth settings for your XM4's?

I had this exact issue yesterday on my Samsung A70 and searched for a solution and a guy had posted a video showing that ... connect via BT, then go to the BT settings for the connection and enable LDAC ... mine's works now.
Where is the Bluetooth settings in the app? I have set the Bluetooth connection priority to sound quality. By it I'm not seeing anything about LDAC?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back