Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #212 of 2,999
I have FiiO BTA30 and got XM4 today. First of all, they sound amazing.
Connection from BTA30 TX mode is flawless using LDAC. You can see that connection is LDAC as the indicator light is white on BTA30. LDAC only works with coax and spdif inputs though, not with USB. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Can you input audio from the TV into the BTA30 and stream it to the XM4 that way? And is there any latency issue with lol sync? That would be my use case for getting a BTA30: optical from TV to FiiO and FiiO to XM4.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #215 of 2,999
Fully charged earlier and now after short use L is still 100% and R is 95%, full batt saving so SBC etc so meant to be 11 hours (Android no AAC for 12 hours) but at this rate no way near it on R bud.

Edit R now 93% in matter of few mins.

Now 92% so looks like duff battery or charge case not charging it correctly.
Do the XM4 swap between slave and master? The master earbud would require more power to run. I know the AirPods will switch between slave and master to keep the battery drain about equal during long use.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #216 of 2,999
No the 3 and 4 do not use Master Slave, I posted info/diagram here or in other thread.

EDIT: found it and its the same for the 4's.

QPKFImq.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #217 of 2,999
Do the XM4 swap between slave and master? The master earbud would require more power to run. I know the AirPods will switch between slave and master to keep the battery drain about equal during long use.
I think both buds have their own connection. At least with the XM3 I can use just one bud (either) if I want.

The Earin M2 works differently (there is no dedicated left or right bud, either bud can go in either ear) in that the first bud you take out of the case becomes master and the second slave and then about half way through they switch over so the slave becomes master and vice versa to balance battery drain.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #218 of 2,999
I found the diagram, added above, FYI you can only use either bud on own if you disable the Assistant on the 4's

Now at L 98% and R 88% so gap is only going to get larger.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #219 of 2,999
Thanks, that's very helpful. Can you input audio from the TV into the BTA30 and stream it to the XM4 that way? And is there any latency issue with lol sync? That would be my use case for getting a BTA30: optical from TV to FiiO and FiiO to XM4.
Cool. I have TV connected from optical to BTA30. There is very very slight latency but it's not out of sync if it makes sense. I could easily use these with TV. I also have Beoplay H9 with aptX Low Latency and these are very close to that connection.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #220 of 2,999
1k: +3
2.5k: +6
6.3k: +6
16k: +3

+1 true bass

is a setting I have. (I use this with the sedna shorts. I based it on the bright eq, till it felt balanced to me.
I actually like this setup with the stock tips. The stock tips add a bit of warmth and have a little more impact.
Compared to the pI7, I agree with others that the sq is a step down. I do prefer the fit on the Sony’s and they may be a better overall package particularly given the price. I go back and forth on how important sq is in a tws. I always go for the best but then use them in environments where it doesn’t matter. Gym, biking etc. I prefer the Sony to the APP and the Bose by a lot and if those are the targets, they have succeeded.
Having used these both on LDAC and AAC on an iPhone, I can’t believe anyone could tell a difference in a blind sound test and this is coming from an LDAC fan.

will these tips survive sweat or do they need to be constantly replaced like comply?

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #223 of 2,999
There is no Master/Slave, look above and disable Assistant then you can use either bud on its own.
Will keep messing with it. Unpaired it and said no to assistant. Guess I try to assign it and then actually disable it on the Google page

Edit: got it. You have to use the Sony headphone app and select do not use for assistant. Ty all

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #225 of 2,999
Just used these for almost exactly 1.5 hours at full volume with ANC on, LDAC at adaptive bitrate setting in developer options. Battery went down to 84 and 80%. Also my buds are never more than 4% apart. Been checking that a lot.

Took the ANC through the ringer. First on a short bus ride into Manhattan and then on the subway. It's really good, not as impressive as how it took out the HVAC noise behind my building though. Definitely a big step up from the MTW2 however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back