Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #166 of 2,999
As to my understanding, these don't support aptX, only SBC, AAC and LDAC, right?
I'm a little confused however, because someone said earlier that you can't use LDAC if you EQ them from the app, is that a thing or i'm getting it wrong? Because it'd suck if you're forced to stick with default tuning, assuming you don't like it, to get the audible difference in SQ between AAC and LDAC (as ppl have said there is one).

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #167 of 2,999
As to my understanding, these don't support aptX, only SBC, AAC and LDAC, right?
I'm a little confused however, because someone said earlier that you can't use LDAC if you EQ them from the app, is that a thing or i'm getting it wrong? Because it'd suck if you're forced to stick with default tuning, assuming you don't like it, to get the audible difference in SQ between AAC and LDAC (as ppl have said there is one).
That is true with the WH-1000XM3 app, but has been changed for both the WH-1000XM4 and WF-1000XM4.
EQ and LDAC is possible now.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #168 of 2,999
How do I add the buds to find my device? It's described as a possibility on Sony's site but with no instructions how to do so.

Edit: some sort of gimped version of this appears when the buds are connected, this all? It won't help me find them when I lose them accidentaly...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #169 of 2,999
Has anyone tried the XM4 on an Android based DAP that has LDAC support such as Cayin N6ii (rather than an Android phone)? I was just wondering if the Sony app and the LDAC work well?? Thanks.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #170 of 2,999
100%. LDAC is the main reason I got the XM4 (aside form all the other benefits, but that's the main one). You just can't compare the SQ difference between SBC/AAC and LDAC, especially if you listen exclusively to lossless and hi-res files like I do.
I don't know if LDAC has much of a meaningful difference. It's been said that Apple's implementation of AAC is very good, and there's some varying degrees of high frequency extension of AAC depending on the particular phone device within Android domain. So, Android implementation isn't up to par.

LDAC seems to be high bit transfer, but doesn't mean it's an efficient one like AAC. Hopefully, XM4 does run into the same LDAC signal problems I've run into with full-sized XM3/4. There seems to be signal stability issues with such high data transfer. This is why Sony defaults to lower bit-rate and will even point out for reliable connection. But the real con is when they still call LDAC at lower data transfer that is lower quality than AAC.

Also, you can check if LDAC is on with Android's developer options. If you have to check if LDAC is on, does LDAC really matter to your ears? lol

Worthy LDAC connect is at max, 990kps, and if one wants to be sure, check the developer options because LDAC can be at lower bit-rate connections. The 990 is unstable. I'm not sure if they improved the 990kbps stability because the connection still depends on the connection with the phone.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #171 of 2,999
Has anyone tried the XM4 on an Android based DAP that has LDAC support such as Cayin N6ii (rather than an Android phone)? I was just wondering if the Sony app and the LDAC work well?? Thanks.
I am using R6 2020 and DX300, both supports Sony app and LDAC if that helps. They works great with XM4.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #172 of 2,999
I don't know if LDAC has much of a meaningful difference. It's been said that Apple's implementation of AAC is very good, and there's some varying degrees of high frequency extension of AAC depending on the particular phone device within Android domain.

LDAC seems to be high bit transfer, but doesn't mean it's an efficient one like AAC. Hopefully, XM4 does run into the same LDAC signal problems I've run into with full-sized XM3/4. There seems to be signal stability issues with such high data transfer.

Also, you can check if LDAC is on with Android's developer options. If you have to check if LDAC is on, does LDAC really matter to your ears? lol
Maybe you should try it first? It is an obvious difference in terms of SQ at least to me. Stability is not a problem "to me" when in a close range like within 8-9ft at home. I am not sure about stability at crowded places with a lot of Bluetooth devices around. I think the main point is when you want to do critical(enjoy) listen, you use LDAC to replace wires. I still go back to my wired earbuds/headphones when I "seriously" want to "critic" music, otherwise, enjoy music and at the same time being able to move around in your office without wires is very convenient.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #173 of 2,999
Maybe you should try it first? It is an obvious difference in terms of SQ at least to me. Stability is not a problem "to me" when in a close range like within 8-9ft at home. I am not sure about stability at crowded places with a lot of Bluetooth devices around. I think the main point is when you want to do critical(enjoy) listen, you use LDAC to replace wires. I still go back to my wired earbuds/headphones when I "seriously" want to "critic" music, otherwise, enjoy music and at the same time being able to move around in your office without wires is very convenient.
I will certainly try it if given the option, but also read the rest of my post regarding LDAC and various bit-rates that's possible if you look under developer's options. Obviously, the lower bit-rates are the stable ones. So, don't assume LDAC is superior because it says LDAC, it maybe at lower bitrate than 990kbps. LDAC being less efficient than other codecs, there really is no point to using LDAC at the lower bit-rates. Check the developer's options.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #174 of 2,999
I will certainly try it if given the option, but also read the rest of my post regarding LDAC and various bit-rates that's possible if you look under developer's options. Obviously, the lower bit-rates are the stable ones. So, don't assume LDAC is superior because it says LDAC, it maybe at lower bitrate than 990kbps. LDAC being less efficient than other codecs, there really is no point to using LDAC at the lower bit-rates. Check the developer's options.
Sorry I am not talking "theoretically" and I am not assuming, I am experiencing it now. If you read from the first few pages, we are talking about rates from developer's options. Everyone knows where to check it. I am just giving my personal experience to help if anyone is interested in buying the unit.

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #175 of 2,999
Since I’m on iPhone aac is given but I’ll be using ldac from the Sony A55 dap

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #176 of 2,999
The ldac experience works pretty well lossless in the xm4. I don't see the reason to be too attached to the concept of wires for critical listening, since I think the technicalities are working pretty with this iem. On the topic of AAC and ldac, I haven't tried airpod pros beyond an evening to know peak aac. But AAC is just not satisfactory otherwise, that I found ldac to be.

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #177 of 2,999
I have the FiiO bt2 which supports SBC, ACC, APTX, APTX HD, LDAC.... I did comparison with all the codec with mine android phone using lose less flac and wav files.. And indeed LDAC has low, mid, high bit rate. In order for high bit rate the phone need to be expose.. If u put inside pocket it might fall into mid.. But still mid bit rate at 660kb/sec is higher then aptx hd at 576kb/sec.

Mine conclusion in term of music details and resolutions level...
LDAC is almost same level as aptx hd / aptx adaptive... And AAC is same level as APTX in the lower tier....

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #179 of 2,999
I'm having an issue with the charging chase for these. After placing my buds in the charger that were down to like 30% left, into a fully charged case, the case charged them fully but the case went down to 61%. This means the case will charge my buds only 2x vs the 4x Sony advertises. I will do more testing by fully charging the case and trying to charge the buds again to verify, but now I read the manual, and it says to not use a charger that goes over 13W.

This is annoying because every USB-C charger I have is for my Pixel phone and they are all 18w. Is the charging case now totally gimped?

Why limit USB-C charging to only 13w when even at 18w the Pixel is at the low end of phone charger power these days.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #180 of 2,999
To save battery life, fast charging will shorten its life due to heat.

I have only charged for 10mins to test for past couple of hours and so far a few disappointments but will soldier on and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back