Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #151 of 2,999
Sorry but I was talking about Bluetooth codec, not wifi. I do not think IEM is able to transmit/receive wifi signal yet due to power consumption and all the required processing power.
I was just mentioning that if we got 5GHz wifi signal in the environment, 990kbs signal is tame in comparison. My concern was that the higher bit-rate signal doing something to our brains, but if you think about it, our home wifi signal is way higher frequencies. Giveaway is like you say, it uses up lots of energy compared to BT.

My comment was about concerns of high frequency radiation.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #152 of 2,999
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #153 of 2,999
I was just mentioning that if we got 5GHz wifi signal in the environment, 990kbs signal is tame in comparison. My concern was that the higher bit-rate signal doing something to our brains, but if you think about it, our home wifi signal is way higher frequencies. Giveaway is like you say, it uses up lots of energy compared to BT.

My comment was about concerns of high frequency radiation.
WiFi uses 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. BT uses 2.4 GHz. WiFi protocols differ from BT though which will likely have larger impacts on energy efficiency and power use.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #154 of 2,999
WiFi uses 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. BT uses 2.4 GHz. WiFi protocols differ from BT though which will likely have larger impacts on energy efficiency and power use.
Ok, I knew I had bit-rate and modulation frequency confused. I'm mainly concerned about high energy radiation with LDAC outputting more data.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #155 of 2,999
There's often a misunderstanding when it comes to ANC performance. People assume ANC gets the noise out with all frequency ranges. High frequencies are reduced from from the seal of the tips. ANC reduces predictable cyclic noise in the low frequencies.

The best test for ANC is on trains, airplances, loud air conditioning. With this said, my opinion with original XM3 wasn't good ANC. APP in comparison had good legitimate ANC performance, but not good isolation.

When you are up in the air with 80dB of low frequency engine noise, you will realize which ANC is the real performer.

I think some people think that reduction in highs is ANC, but ANC is practical with cyclic sounds. To me, the most superior ANC is Fulls-sized Sony XM series, and I found the iem XM3 mediocre. MTW2 mediocre, and anything else I tried other than APP for ANC. Hopefully, XM4 is a different story.
To me the anc on the wf xm3 is very good and effective though not quite at the level of the wh xm3, perhaps 90%. In fact it was close enough that I sold the wh when I got the wf

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #156 of 2,999
Pre-order a set... Hope the large tips fit my ear.. Been using xl for jvc spiral dot.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #159 of 2,999
You really need to try LDAC, it is a day and night improvement on SQ.
100%. LDAC is the main reason I got the XM4 (aside form all the other benefits, but that's the main one). You just can't compare the SQ difference between SBC/AAC and LDAC, especially if you listen exclusively to lossless and hi-res files like I do.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #160 of 2,999
100%. LDAC is the main reason I got the XM4 (aside form all the other benefits, but that's the main one). You just can't compare the SQ difference between SBC/AAC and LDAC, especially if you listen exclusively to lossless and hi-res files like I do.
I assume you have an Android phone?

For me, the clincher may actually be the fit - not many complaints so far, which is a huge thing. My XM3s have felt really uncomfortable the last few months - the inner part of the stem chafing a bit against my ear which after an hour or so listening starts to get annoying. That XM3 design really was stupid.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #161 of 2,999
I assume you have an Android phone?

For me, the clincher may actually be the fit - not many complaints so far, which is a huge thing. My XM3s have felt really uncomfortable the last few months - the inner part of the stem chafing a bit against my ear which after an hour or so listening starts to get annoying. That XM3 design really was stupid.
Yes, LG V30+. One of the reasons I switched from iPhone was the lack of 'proper' BT standard support like AptX and LDAC. The other was lack of USB-C support.

I agree, I tried a friend's XM3 for a week. Horrible IEM that. SQ was ok but the fit and design is laughable. The XM4 solves that problem and is one of the best looking TWS IEMs right now IMO. Together with LDAC support, I think TWS is finally ready for prime time.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #162 of 2,999
Yes, LG V30+. One of the reasons I switched from iPhone was the lack of 'proper' BT standard support like AptX and LDAC. The other was lack of USB-C support.

I agree, I tried a friend's XM3 for a week. Horrible IEM that. SQ was ok but the fit and design is laughable. The XM4 solves that problem and is one of the best looking TWS IEMs right now IMO. Together with LDAC support, I think TWS is finally ready for prime time.
I genuinely can't believe I put up with them for so long - probably because for the 30-1hr commute i used to do it was fine. I also think we shouldn't underestimate the app - incrementally Sony have made it really good and I think it's now essential for a good app with TWS.

Anyone got more feedback on calls? That was also laughable with the XM3.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #163 of 2,999
I’ve had no problems with fit or comfort with the XM3, even on long flights pre corona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back