Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #107 of 2,999
1k: +3
2.5k: +6
6.3k: +6
16k: +3

+1 true bass

is a setting I have. (I use this with the sedna shorts. I based it on the bright eq, till it felt balanced to me.
Wow, thanks - these settings brought out more detail and make the sound more fun/musical! Coupled with the ePro TW00 tips, I am very happy with the XM4s.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #108 of 2,999
Sometimes I seriously question whether the people designing IEMs and earbuds have ever even looked at a human ear before, lol.

I have Symbiios, Spinfits, and some Spiral Dots. Symbiios are the most comfortable mostly because they are so large they keep the housing away from my ear, but they sound bad. Spinfits are probably the most comfortable, tougher for me to get a seal with them though. The Spiral Dots loosen up the bass a bit (probably the wider opening), but I can pop them right in my ear and there's no irritation like with the stock foams.

Stock foams still sound the best, honestly I think I need one larger than the L it comes with to seal more securely, less movement, less irritation.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #109 of 2,999
I have little to no faith in the tips working for me a is need XL (14mm at least), I cannot use Comply as they simply do not fit my canals.

SpinFit is going to loose the passive NC as thin/not dense so it will be one from be my SednaEarfit range.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #110 of 2,999
I noticed that when the XM4 repros the weird clicking sound on spoken word content, on other devices there is a lot of sibilance in the same passage. So, I think the XM4 DSP is smoothing the sibilance and causing some audible artifacts.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #112 of 2,999
Yes, but not much between aptX HD and LDAC as LDAC is exaggerated, and again depends on the device and source files.

AAC IMO is nothing special though they claim it to be at only 250k, if it was 330k it may be better but then it would not be able to claim the best battery life.

My Android does not support AAC but Windows DEV now does so I can use it.

250k is not Hi RES AFAIAC by my reading over the years Hi RES mean above CD quality, even mp3 is 320k

Either way even if the end number is higher than the music bitrate it is being decompressed/compressed/upscaled/converted and changed from one format to another so not ideal so you are probably better listing to a real CD rip via wired if non Hi RES.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #114 of 2,999
And AFAIK Amazon Music HD does not work if it detects external DAC's unless this has changed but their player is crap and does not bypass the Android mixer limit of 48khz so no 96khz on LDAC using Android phone unless listening to your own music and use PowerAmp or USB Audio Player.

You need to use PC and get all the way up to 192khz via speakers or wired ear/headphones on Amazon Music HD

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #115 of 2,999
it sucks Apple doesnt support LDAC and WF-1000Xm4 doesnt support ALAC so you need dac fo Hi Res bluetooth on iPhone
ALAC is a file codec not a BT codec

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #116 of 2,999
The ANC on my new set is essentially zero. Ok…call it %10-20 reduction. I have the latest firmware. My apple airpod pros are way way better with ANC (but not very musical IMHO). When I put the apple’s on, it feels like a door has been closed between me and the noise. I experience nothing close to that with the Sonys. I have tried multiple tips and the seal is fine. I guess I could go back and try the stock foam tips…so maybe the ANC is mostly passive noise isolation. Another option is, is suppose is to reset everything and delete and reload the app.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #117 of 2,999
Someone able to compare latency to Apple Airpods Pro please? They are still far behind competition, despite being quite old already. Especially used with Apple Macbooks. The delay is so small, you can actually use them for work in FinalCut / Logic.. are WF-1000Xm4 on par, or still worse?

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #118 of 2,999
LDAC has a higher latency so will depends on the file type and distance from screen, that is why aptX LL was made (now part of aptX Adaptive), SBC and normal aptX are also pretty good latency,

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #119 of 2,999
The ANC on my new set is essentially zero. Ok…call it %10-20 reduction. I have the latest firmware. My apple airpod pros are way way better with ANC (but not very musical IMHO). When I put the apple’s on, it feels like a door has been closed between me and the noise. I experience nothing close to that with the Sonys. I have tried multiple tips and the seal is fine. I guess I could go back and try the stock foam tips…so maybe the ANC is mostly passive noise isolation. Another option is, is suppose is to reset everything and delete and reload the app.
Have you run the test for good seal in the Sony app and checked that ANC is actually enabled ?

Sony has one of if not the best ANC of any iem so either you have a poor seal or a defective unit if you detect virtually no ANC effect.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #120 of 2,999
Have you run the test for good seal in the Sony app and checked that ANC is actually enabled ?

Sony has one of if not the best ANC of any iem so either you have a poor seal or a defective unit if you detect virtually no ANC effect.
Had the same concern until I ran the seal test and found that none of the Sony supplied tips gave me a good seal thus no ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back