Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,351 of 2,999
Do you have to do anything special to get that survey or it just pops up when you're using the headphones? I haven't gotten any notification about a survey, I'm assuming it's related to the region that you're in.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,352 of 2,999
Do you have to do anything special to get that survey or it just pops up when you're using the headphones? I haven't gotten any notification about a survey, I'm assuming it's related to the region that you're in.
Pretty sure it just popped up when I used them and opened the app.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,354 of 2,999
I connected the xm4 and opened the headphone app to auto-switch from ier-m7 to xm4 and the survey popped up.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,355 of 2,999
I did the survey a few days ago and I thought it was interesting how they had survey questions about different tips.
To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that Sony didn't include more tips like the XM3 model did. Not that I could use all different sizes of tips, but for 'premium' earphones like XM4 it should be standard.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,356 of 2,999
To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that Sony didn't include more tips like the XM3 model did. Not that I could use all different sizes of tips, but for 'premium' earphones like XM4 it should be standard.

One of the reasons I found it interesting that they mentioned different tips.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,357 of 2,999
What's the point of putting more things in the box if you can't use them anyway, just to make it feel more premium. Especially with eartips, a lot of people would change the stock ones anyway so it's a little pointless I feel.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,358 of 2,999
What's the point of putting more things in the box if you can't use them anyway, just to make it feel more premium. Especially with eartips, a lot of people would change the stock ones anyway so it's a little pointless I feel.
You think leaving out the most used tips, silicones, is a good thing to do? What do they gain? $1.25 per headphones sold? What do they lose? Possibly infuriating customers that now have to fork over an extra $20 to make it work for them? It's not that these in-ears cost $19.99 right? Have you noticed how many dozens of posts are on this thread about finding a way to get rid of the foam tips and have them replaced with silicones? And, funny thing, basically any model suggested was found to have better sonics than the foam tips, so we can't say it was a great idea not providing any as the most basic ones seem to cover the basics.

drftr

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,359 of 2,999
One of the reasons I found it interesting that they mentioned different tips.
Having said being a bit disappointed that Sony didn't have the same tip treatment as XM3, I don't think Sony tips would work for everyone. I don't think you can find any thread where everybody was completely happy with the OEM tips. Many folks in these forums have resorted to tip rolling for one reason or another.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,360 of 2,999
You think leaving out the most used tips, silicones, is a good thing to do? What do they gain? $1.25 per headphones sold? What do they lose? Possibly infuriating customers that now have to fork over an extra $20 to make it work for them? It's not that these in-ears cost $19.99 right? Have you noticed how many dozens of posts are on this thread about finding a way to get rid of the foam tips and have them replaced with silicones? And, funny thing, basically any model suggested was found to have better sonics than the foam tips, so we can't say it was a great idea not providing any as the most basic ones seem to cover the basics.

drftr
The point I was trying to make was not about the foam tips included, but about adding more extras to make the product feel more premium. There's probably a good reason for the foam tips instead of silicon, I assume that Sony wanted these headphones to be the best ANC TWS and good ANC is basically 80% passive isolation.
Now about the tip rolling, would it be less likely that ppl would look to other aftermarket tips, if the ones included were silicon. Possibly, but I don't feel it would have made a significant difference. We'd tip roll them anyway.
I don't know if the foam tips are a deal-breaker for anyone and the only reason they won't buy these headphones, but to me they aren't and I feel that's a little too nitpicky. Granted however, these are almost $300 headphones, so being nitpicky is understandable at that price.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,361 of 2,999
How does an OEM know what a customer's ear anatomy will be? If they supply tips made with different materials in several sizes then they have it covered. Of course as an individual user you can't possibly use all the tips, but the OEM has you covered.

Do I consider the XM4 to be premium? Yes I do. If I bought a luxury car I would expect 6 way power seats. Could I get by with manually adjusted seats, yes I could, but not in a luxury car.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,362 of 2,999
I think it would avoid tip rolling for quite a big group. Of course, audiophiles can't be helped and we will always look (listen) for better! :) But there's also a group that finds foam tips simply uncomfortable and/or too sealed off (having the impression of being in a vacuum) and for those customers silicone tips would have avoided even having the question of how to solve their problem. I mean, not every buyer is on a forum like this.

One other thing to note is that I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum trying different foam tips. That's probably partly because they're simply there and that convenience means that a large group will say "okay, those will probably do". I'm not trying to make a point though other than that I think it's a bit cheap. Not very different from the first phone makers that left out a cable, power adapter, whatever. Didn't matter to most, but was very annoying for some. It's like buying a car without wheels because they could have taken the wheels of(f) their old car :wink:

drftr

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #1,363 of 2,999
I think it would avoid tip rolling for quite a big group. Of course, audiophiles can't be helped and we will always look (listen) for better! :) But there's also a group that finds foam tips simply uncomfortable and/or too sealed off (having the impression of being in a vacuum) and for those customers silicone tips would have avoided even having the question of how to solve their problem. I mean, not every buyer is on a forum like this.

One other thing to note is that I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum trying different foam tips. That's probably partly because they're simply there and that convenience means that a large group will say "okay, those will probably do". I'm not trying to make a point though other than that I think it's a bit cheap. Not very different from the first phone makers that left out a cable, power adapter, whatever. Didn't matter to most, but was very annoying for some. It's like buying a car without wheels because they could have taken the wheels of(f) their old car :wink:

drftr
I've mentioned some pages back, have used Dekoni foam tips, Comply Truegrips & Comply T-500.

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #1,364 of 2,999

drftr
To each their own in the end. Everyone has an opinion and that's fine, and it is totally true that some ppl hate foam. But there has also been a lot of talk about tip rolling and recommendations for both silicon and foam tips in this thread not too far back.

My personal opinion is that the stock tips aren't that bad and they'll do if you can't find where to buy or justify paying for aftermarket one. I like them enough and can see a valid reason why Sony included them.

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #1,365 of 2,999
Is there anyway to clean the "silver" hybrid foam tips from visible discoloration from ear wax? Kinda gross question, but I bought mine pre-owned so the Small and Medium foam tips were already gross (I didn't care much because I only use Large which wasn't used at all).
Planning to flip these again because I just don't like the sound too much compared to the MTW2's and might buy something else (possibly over-ears or just other earbuds) so I want to be able to sell them without having to be too damn ashamed about the condition of the eartips even though I would hope they would buy new ones for themselves anyway.

The person that had them before me probably had never heard of a q-tip based on what they looked like after apparently just a day or two of use... 🤢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back