Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #2,716 of 2,999
I will have to try AAC and see if I hear much difference in sound. Generally speaking, the change is so small it's not always worth using LDAC. If I can use these all day and never bother putting them back in the charger, I will save a ton of battery life over the course of a year.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,717 of 2,999
Interesting when playing music from Amazon music, I can't really hear a difference between the UltraHD files when switching between LDAC and AAC even if I play with the developer setting and match the 24 bit setting from 32 bit and play with the bitrate to 660 from best effort. So not sure if that app properly uses the settings or their original files are not truly UltraHD, absolutely no difference if I just move to HD files.

Using Neutron if I use one of my Hi-res FLAC files that are 24 bit I can hear a bit more detail and quality, for those files its actually noticeable and sounds better even if I just use the default LDAC settings. But it is definitely not a HUGE difference.

So tomorrow I might just try using AAC for the day and see what happens for battery life.

Currently sitting at L 49% R 48% (after 8-8.5hrs out of charger) so the power imbalance is 100% caused by those settings. I think I might be able to comfortably get at least MY full day use out of these on a single charge which is pretty amazing.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #2,718 of 2,999
I will have to try AAC and see if I hear much difference in sound. Generally speaking, the change is so small it's not always worth using LDAC. If I can use these all day and never bother putting them back in the charger, I will save a ton of battery life over the course of a year.
I’ve got no choice since my source is an iPhone

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #2,719 of 2,999
Given that AAC is better on Apple than Android (Samsung S20) and I am not hearing lots of difference on my system it makes me wonder just how important LDAC really is...

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #2,721 of 2,999
Given that AAC is better on Apple than Android (Samsung S20) and I am not hearing lots of difference on my system it makes me wonder just how important LDAC really is...
I believe that it does sound better on ldac from one of my Sony daps but the difference is not huge and out and about on the move with ambient noise it’s virtually the same, at least to me

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,722 of 2,999
OK, after a few more days of using the XM4 and going for a walk today, here are some more observations and thoughts (I know most everything I am saying has probably already been said... LOL)

First off, I am glad I bought these even if I end up selling them...

Sony definitely made a great sounding TWS, I honestly did not expect them to sound this good. I expected them to be dark and lacking in detail enough that I would be reaching for something else. Out of the box they mostly are exactly that. But to my surprise the drivers respond exceptionally well to the EQ, opening up the vocals so they are expressive with decent emotion, the treble lacks just a bit of airiness but not by much and manages instruments like cymbals well. Bass is also tighter and more detailed than I expected.

I also love how well these isolate even without ANC, I actually only need to enable ANC in certain situations, which is great! When I do enable ANC these really are the most isolating TWS I have tried.

Now for my gripes...

Comfort - I really wish the design did not have that darn bump at the bottom of the antenna thing. If they had just made it round like they did on the Linkbuds S the bottom of my ear would not be getting so sore! The size of these is just a bit too big for my average size concha. They don't need to be Linkbuds S small, but a bit smaller would be nice. Throw the darn foam tips away, or just include the good old Hybrid tips along with them so people have a choice.

Stability - These really are unstable in my ear, working loose even just sitting and really work loose the moment I start walking. As such they will never work as a workout TWS which is a pity since they have a signature that would be awesome in the gym or when going for a run.

Ambient Mode - this mode works but just barely... The positive is does not affact sound quality. The negative is once music is playing even at low volume, I cannot hear people talking to me which would be important in the office and when at home with my family, or when on busy streets where I need to pay attention to traffics etc.)

I am a FICKLE person... The gripes have me on the fence on whether I will keep these. I am going to see if the comfort one in particular improves with more use (can my ears get used to wearing these...). I also need much better ambient mode functionality.

If the WF-1000XM5 manages to be smaller (does not have to be Linkbuds S small), remove un-necessary bumps in its shape, improve ambient mode, maintain passive and ANC levels, have a similar battery life level, and have the same or better audio detail retrieval I would be quite interested in them and might be enticed to pay retail versus waiting another 2 years when the prices started to fall more before giving them a try.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #2,723 of 2,999
OK, after a few more days of using the XM4 and going for a walk today, here are some more observations and thoughts (I know most everything I am saying has probably already been said... LOL)

First off, I am glad I bought these even if I end up selling them...

Sony definitely made a great sounding TWS, I honestly did not expect them to sound this good. I expected them to be dark and lacking in detail enough that I would be reaching for something else. Out of the box they mostly are exactly that. But to my surprise the drivers respond exceptionally well to the EQ, opening up the vocals so they are expressive with decent emotion, the treble lacks just a bit of airiness but not by much and manages instruments like cymbals well. Bass is also tighter and more detailed than I expected.

I also love how well these isolate even without ANC, I actually only need to enable ANC in certain situations, which is great! When I do enable ANC these really are the most isolating TWS I have tried.

Now for my gripes...

Comfort - I really wish the design did not have that darn bump at the bottom of the antenna thing. If they had just made it round like they did on the Linkbuds S the bottom of my ear would not be getting so sore! The size of these is just a bit too big for my average size concha. They don't need to be Linkbuds S small, but a bit smaller would be nice. Throw the darn foam tips away, or just include the good old Hybrid tips along with them so people have a choice.

Stability - These really are unstable in my ear, working loose even just sitting and really work loose the moment I start walking. As such they will never work as a workout TWS which is a pity since they have a signature that would be awesome in the gym or when going for a run.

Ambient Mode - this mode works but just barely... The positive is does not affact sound quality. The negative is once music is playing even at low volume, I cannot hear people talking to me which would be important in the office and when at home with my family, or when on busy streets where I need to pay attention to traffics etc.)

I am a FICKLE person... The gripes have me on the fence on whether I will keep these. I am going to see if the comfort one in particular improves with more use (can my ears get used to wearing these...). I also need much better ambient mode functionality.

If the WF-1000XM5 manages to be smaller (does not have to be Linkbuds S small), remove un-necessary bumps in its shape, improve ambient mode, maintain passive and ANC levels, have a similar battery life level, and have the same or better audio detail retrieval I would be quite interested in them and might be enticed to pay retail versus waiting another 2 years when the prices started to fall more before giving them a try.

I had fit and stability issues with normal and many tws style tips. I have short ear canals (to the first bend anyways) so they stick out a bit too far.

My solution was to try tips that were extra stubby and basically sit flush with the end of the nozzle. You could try some decored app foam tips or cut some T200 size tips down to try it.

The bottom shape was also uncomfortable until I figured out to rotate the top slightly forward, instead of fully backwards as their instructions state. This took the pressure off the concha/anti-helix area.

If you like a short/shallow fit (short ear canals/smaller ears) you can use generic foam tips meant for the APP. Thats what I do.

They also unshroud the nozzle opening.

Left APP foam, right Sony foam. Both S size tips pictured.

There is also the ikko/misodiko type foams too. As well as Comply and many other standard style ones. The Tennmak strong foams may be good too for regular style foam tips, as they have a 'skin' on them and will be easier to keep clean and are washable.

As far as ambient, mine works well enough for me on setting 16-17 or so iirc. I also have the music down at around 25-30% volume when I'm using ambient. Ymmv

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2,724 of 2,999
never thought to try an even shallower tip... Just trying the Samsung Pro tips, and may try the JBL or some of my MANY tips I have available LOL. I generally prefer shallow but WIDE tips as I have big lug holes and as you mentioned short canals to the first bend. Thanks for the tip!!

My right ear already feels flusher, will update as I go along :)

If I can make them more comfy and stable these are likely going to be keepers... Damn I like the sound!...

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #2,725 of 2,999
never thought to try an even shallower tip... Just trying the Samsung Pro tips, and may try the JBL or some of my MANY tips I have available LOL. I generally prefer shallow but WIDE tips as I have big lug holes and as you mentioned short canals to the first bend. Thanks for the tip!!

My right ear already feels flusher, will update as I go along :)

If I can make them more comfy and stable these are likely going to be keepers... Damn I like the sound!...

Maybe the ikko/misodiko type tips will work for you?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-46#post-15418889
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-46#post-15418950

So the small Ikko tips ended up being uncomfortable for my smaller ears canals. When I ordered them I thought they were 11.2mm which would have been closer to my ideal size.

10411933.jpg

A couple days ago I came across the Misodiko tips which are a similar design but their small and large size tips are just a bit smaller. They're also available on Amazon US or AliExpress. I've ordered them in small to try.

Ikko tips: S 11.5 | M 12.5 | L 13.5
Misodiko: S 10.9 | M 12.4 | L 13.0

10416466.jpg

Link to the generic misodiko style tips i bought.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000482730406.html

The small was listed as 11mm but measured 12mm. If the same is true for the medium and large you may be in luck.

I think these can also be found on amazon, I've ordered ikko from there.

Edit: found them
Generic https://a.co/d/gACM2im
Ikko 2 L https://a.co/d/7qMkIEv

Not sure of availability in Canada tho.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #2,726 of 2,999
Thanks for the links, I will think on those. I am generally not a memory foam fan due to durability and itchiness but if that coating works it might deal with both issues.

In the meantime, the Samsung tips are making these comfier and more stable so far. So I might go see if I can find my JVC spiral tips and give them a whirl. Should have known to start tip rolling!! LOL

Both those links will ship to Canada BTW, they just charge almost as much for shipping as the tips themselves... LOL

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #2,727 of 2,999
I ended up going back to the good old original Sony Hybrid tips and am really getting used to these in ear.

I am still really enjoying them and geting used to the few weaknesses.

They suffer from a few things that newer TWS do better such as Ambient mode, fit, and mic quality. The usual things that 2 years of technological growth from when these were released would cause. But their ANC shows just how good they were in that area.

Sonically I think these are actually darn capable. It's a SONY house sound but the driver does seem to respond well to EQ, it surprised me how well.

It makes me excited to see what the WF-1000XM5 might offer. If they maintain a similar battery life, compromise on size and shape between the XM4 and Linkbuds S, adopt a similar mic or better as the S, improve the ambient to at least as good as the S, and use as good or better driver as the XM4 I would actually be fine if they left the stock tuning close to the XM4. The key is making sure the app and the driver can deliver a nuanced but meaningful change to the tuning. But if they do tweak the sound from the XM4 I would ask it to have more midrange presence and treble presence and detail, making it more forward and brighter by default and then allow people to reduce versus always having to amplify. But only as long that change doesn't negatively impact the bass :) .

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #2,728 of 2,999
Okay, this is kinda weird but since about a week ago I started having some of those battery drain issues. The left one stopped fully charging, it only goes to 95% now and it also drains much faster than the right one. By the time the right one reaches about 50%, left is already dead. Haven't gotten the newer firmware either so it's weird how it started happening.
Might see if it stays like that and maybe ask Sony about a warranty replacement, if I still have any warranty left.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #2,729 of 2,999
Okay, this is kinda weird but since about a week ago I started having some of those battery drain issues. The left one stopped fully charging, it only goes to 95% now and it also drains much faster than the right one. By the time the right one reaches about 50%, left is already dead. Haven't gotten the newer firmware either so it's weird how it started happening.
Might see if it stays like that and maybe ask Sony about a warranty replacement, if I still have any warranty left.
My friends also faced this issue and Sony accepted to cover it in warranty by replacing a new one.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,730 of 2,999
I am glad my pair is one of the newer models that started at1.5.x for the firmware and really hope it doesn't develop that battery issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back