Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #2,386 of 2,999
Has anyone accurately measured the stock ear tips?
I have found that I need a med for left and lg for right. I want to try Comply Truegrip Pro but the mix pack isn't available in the UK so am not sure whether to order medium or large.
Any advice is welcome (and suggestions for other brands).

May 23, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,387 of 2,999
Mine are for sale in classifieds.

May 25, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #2,388 of 2,999
Took the xm4's on a flight recently and the ANC surprisingly works pretty well with drowning out engine drone noise. It's not quite as good and silent as the over ear counterparts like my WH-1000XM2 but good enough. With music playing I found them quite enjoyable. These are actually my favorite sounding Sony headphones so far. The others I've tried were all V-shape sounding.

Although, the sound quality is quite good and engaging from the xm4 (through LDAC) it's still just a smidge below something like the IE300 in terms of resolution.

While sitting at the airport I preferred listening through the IE300 as it's passive isolation worked well for noisy/crowded environments. And more comfortable for longer sessions.

During flights I feel like ANC is a must since passive isolation is never enough no matter how good a seal or deep you insert them.

As an overall package though, the xm4 is highly impressive. From packaging, to build quality, tips, app. Whole experience is top notch. Sony sure knows how to make great products. The sum of its parts make it my favorite TWS purchase to date. 👍

Edit: I'll also note that LDAC cuts off frequently in busy, crowded environments like the airport and gym. I'm stuck with using AAC for stable connection. So not perfect, but sounds great when it works. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #2,389 of 2,999
Maybe it is the tips but I have had mine a while now and I am convinced that the ANC has got worse with mine.

As I say it could be the fit with the tips but the sound is still good so the fit cannot be that bad. The ANC barely blocks anything anymore.

Anybody else notice this?

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2,390 of 2,999
Maybe it is the tips but I have had mine a while now and I am convinced that the ANC has got worse with mine.

As I say it could be the fit with the tips but the sound is still good so the fit cannot be that bad. The ANC barely blocks anything anymore.

Anybody else notice this?
You haven’t by any chanche just managed to disable anc ?
Mine is as effective as ever

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #2,391 of 2,999
Train trip 7 hours from Berlin to Copenhagen with the X4 on ldac from my A55. Very nice and better than aac from my iPhone

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,394 of 2,999
When I first used mine, I was fascinated and impressed at the ANC. I would turn up the TV to ridiculous volumes or clap my hands or stamp my feet and hear almost nothing. It was all new to me because I had never had anything with ANC before. But after about a week of trying all the different options, turning stuff on, turning stuff off etc etc (new toy), I started to notice that ANC wasn't as effective as I originally thought. For a couple of days I was feeling a bit disappointed but I ordered a set of Comply Truegrip, fitted them, did a full reset several times (from the settings menu and the physical method) and then set them up again to my liking. I have had no concerns about the ANC since.
I concur with acclimation but I also think that excessive tinkering with the controls and the fit of the oem tips didn't help (I find they decompress too quickly so getting a good fit is fiddly).

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,395 of 2,999
When I first used mine, I was fascinated and impressed at the ANC. I would turn up the TV to ridiculous volumes or clap my hands or stamp my feet and hear almost nothing. It was all new to me because I had never had anything with ANC before. But after about a week of trying all the different options, turning stuff on, turning stuff off etc etc (new toy), I started to notice that ANC wasn't as effective as I originally thought. For a couple of days I was feeling a bit disappointed but I ordered a set of Comply Truegrip, fitted them, did a full reset several times (from the settings menu and the physical method) and then set them up again to my liking. I have had no concerns about the ANC since.
I concur with acclimation but I also think that excessive tinkering with the controls and the fit of the oem tips didn't help (I find they decompress too quickly so getting a good fit is fiddly).
You have to realise that anc is mainly effective for lower frequencies and persistent noise like jet engines, train noise, car engines, air conditioning and so on and much less effective for variying sounds and higher frequencies like talk and so on where the passive isolation from foam tips and so on matter more. And then always have to get a tight fit.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,398 of 2,999
While I haven't owned a Sony IEM or headphones in a long time, these definitely sound undoubtedly Sony. My previous Sony experiences include MDR-EX70LP, MDR-EX600, MDR-V6.

My Daily Drivers have been Air Pod Pros lately, mostly due to being wireless and the pandemic/having to wear masks but once they dropped the mask requirement on public transit I had planned to go back to my Westone W30/Radsone ES100 setup (but haven't).

I'm sure I can't say much that hasn't already been said, especially compared against the APP, but I'm happy to be here and happy I bought them. I see them staying in the rotation until the NBT comes along.

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,399 of 2,999
Took the xm4's on a flight recently and the ANC surprisingly works pretty well with drowning out engine drone noise. It's not quite as good and silent as the over ear counterparts like my WH-1000XM2 but good enough. With music playing I found them quite enjoyable. These are actually my favorite sounding Sony headphones so far. The others I've tried were all V-shape sounding.

Although, the sound quality is quite good and engaging from the xm4 (through LDAC) it's still just a smidge below something like the IE300 in terms of resolution.

While sitting at the airport I preferred listening through the IE300 as it's passive isolation worked well for noisy/crowded environments. And more comfortable for longer sessions.

During flights I feel like ANC is a must since passive isolation is never enough no matter how good a seal or deep you insert them.

As an overall package though, the xm4 is highly impressive. From packaging, to build quality, tips, app. Whole experience is top notch. Sony sure knows how to make great products. The sum of its parts make it my favorite TWS purchase to date. 👍

Edit: I'll also note that LDAC cuts off frequently in busy, crowded environments like the airport and gym. I'm stuck with using AAC for stable connection. So not perfect, but sounds great when it works. 🤷🏻‍♂️
instead of switching to AAC, switch to stable connection priority instead of sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back