Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,546 of 2,999
Many people who have been in this hobby for some years already have a substantial collection of tips to play with and possibly have their favourite tip (I have the Final E) but it can also be a sport trying different tips. And yes I agree that the price on some of these tips are a bit high.
I'd pay $50 for that $15 package with 15 pairs of tips of they made it availabke aftermarket :wink: Would be nice if we had the choice to include it or not when buying the XM4.

drftr

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,547 of 2,999
I'd pay $50 for that $15 package with 15 pairs of tips of they made it availabke aftermarket :wink: Would be nice if we had the choice to include it or not when buying the XM4.

drftr
Indeed and I have to admit I was surprised by the very limited choice that’s included with the XM4 compared with the XM3 let alone the IER-Z1R. On the other hand I never used any of the stock tips from either of them so for me personally it was a waste that they included even one set of tips

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,549 of 2,999
Indeed and I have to admit I was surprised by the very limited choice that’s included with the XM4 compared with the XM3 let alone the IER-Z1R. On the other hand I never used any of the stock tips from either of them so for me personally it was a waste that they included even one set of tips
I thought the hybrid tips of the XM3 had a much more than decent reputation? I'm actually still trying to find those to have a comparison for my SpinFits. Should I just stop looking for them then?

drftr

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,550 of 2,999
I thought the hybrid tips of the XM3 had a much more than decent reputation? I'm actually still trying to find those to have a comparison for my SpinFits. Should I just stop looking for them then?

drftr
My problem with all the stock tips is that even the largest is not big enough for my ears. My custom JH13 are about the size of the Z1R and nearly double the size of a friend of mine’s customs. It’s only with Etymotics style iem’s I can use stock tips because I can jam the in to brain implant depths, all other iem’s I’ve are too big so can’t go deep enough into my eard to get a good and stable fit with any stock tip

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,551 of 2,999
Granted. I just find it fascinating that the least expensive bit of the package makes such a difference. £250 and the wrong tips sounds dreadful (an exaggeration to make a point) , £250 plus the right tips sounds awesome...
Well, consider the vastly different anatomy of individual ears…. and the vastly different tastes in sound signatures of different listeners…. Just read all the messages about what individuals prefer in IEMs and tips…. What sounds dreadful to you might sound fine, or even glorious to another. Is it reasonable to expect that any IEM maker, even of high end IEMs, can include tips that will satisfy everyone?

Not saying you should be satisfied! Just trying to suggest different expectations…

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,552 of 2,999
My problem with all the stock tips is that even the largest is not big enough for my ears. My custom JH13 are about the size of the Z1R and nearly double the size of a friend of mine’s customs. It’s only with Etymotics style iem’s I can use stock tips because I can jam the in to brain implant depths, all other iem’s I’ve are too big so can’t go deep enough into my eard to get a good and stable fit with any stock tip
Yeah if they fall into your head it's not gonna work. The good thing is they dissolve over time :) Maybe implant a Bluetooth chip in your skull and pick up Hi-Rez vibrations!

drftr

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,553 of 2,999
Muuuuch better today. Seems I wasn’t “twisting“ the bud enough in my ear to get a good seal. Having said that, I am swapping tips and see how the sound changes.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,554 of 2,999
Muuuuch better today. Seems I wasn’t “twisting“ the bud enough in my ear to get a good seal. Having said that, I am swapping tips and see how the sound changes.
I had the same first impression. What works best for me is rolling the tip like a foam earplug, then really twisting the earbud in there, and making sure the external microphone (copper circle thing) is snug down in that little notch between ear cartilage (intertragal notch, google says it's called).

(I will admit to being confused that the term "tip rolling" means more to you all than just this action of rolling the tips for a more snug fit :dt880smile:)

I tried pulling them out a little, but they sound tinny and aren't very stable that way. I think I just have a very short window of good fit.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,556 of 2,999

drftr
That sounds like a good idea (as I look at a shopping cart with five different brands of tips).

I'd bet that Sony went somewhat minimalist with tips as part of the eco-friendly packaging. It does make sense...far fewer trashed tips that way. Those of us that are picky are going to be picky no matter what's included.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,557 of 2,999
Those of us that are picky are going to be picky no matter what's included.
I'm kind of coming to that conclusion after focussing on true reference recordings over the past week. Currently listening to "Freddie Freeloader" from Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", one of the best sounding jazz recordings in history. Well, not on the XM4s... I mean, that piano sounds like cr--, I mean not good, there's close to zero definition in the acoustic base, while the saxophone almost sounds like a flute. That's not how a reference recording is supposed to sound.

Yesterday had similar shivers when listening to "Moving Pictures" and "Rumours". 90% of the time it's really nice, but then that other 10% is so off that it completely distracts me from the music. Will try some Tool and RATM later on tonight but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of accidently losing them one of these days. I'd say that's a pretty good excuse for looking into something else!

drftr

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,558 of 2,999
Now I'm wondering how much individual ear canal shape affects what someone thinks of the sound of these, and any IEMs.

Is there typically this much difference in how readers of this forum respond to over-the-ear headphones?

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #1,560 of 2,999
Now I'm wondering how much individual ear canal shape affects what someone thinks of the sound of these, and any IEMs.

Is there typically this much difference in how readers of this forum respond to over-the-ear headphones?
I may be wrong but I think the average listener here has a focus on non-acoustic instruments which, I think, makes reviews quite subjective. I mean, how should an on purpose distorted electric guitar really sound? I'd say that's up to your own preference. But it becomes a slightly different matter if for instance you attend many acoustic concerts while not recognizing the instruments and great recordings.

Also, once you're infected by the audiophile virus after having (too) upmarket listening experiences it's much harder to take a step back. But I don't think that's a reason to put objectivity aside.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back