Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,501 of 2,999
I tried the tip someone here gave, to install the Sony Music Center app and set it there
Wait! This worked! Setting it in the Headphone App nor in the Developers options would stick but this did the trick for my setup (S10 running Android 11).
Thank you

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,502 of 2,999
Wait! This worked! Setting it in the Headphone App nor in the Developers options would stick but this did the trick for my setup (S10 running Android 11).
Thank you
Must be phone dependent then. This was on my LG V60 (and another LG user reported it didn't work either). But I'm switching to the Fold 3 and hope it will work.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,503 of 2,999
Thank you
@jasonb @joshnor713 @raulromanjr

On my LG v30 it works as well, but with a caveat…. I have to keep the Sony Music Center app open in the background. Then it seems that I reliably connect at 990/909 without having to go back to Developer Settings. But, if I close the Music Center app then it will most of the time - but not always - revert to Best Effort.

Thanks for the tip and I will definitely take advantage of it!

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #1,504 of 2,999
Hi, I have no experience with wireless IEMs, so sorry for the newbie questions ...

I've read about the Sony WF-1000XM4, is it the best wireless IEM?

How does it sound compared to wired IEMs in roughly the same price range, like a Moondrop Blessing 2 or DUNU SA6? Is it much inferior to a Sony IER-M9?

The dumbest question: Does Sony WF-1000XM4 already have its own DAC and amplifier inside? Should I just pair it with my smartphone to get the best sound?
I can't say anything about if they're the best TWS out there because I haven't used many other TWS, but they certainly are really good and for some reasons other than sound quality.

Compared to wired IEMs I feel that for the same price you can get a better setup in terms of sound quality alone, no doubt. But the convenience factor is not going to be there.
These headphones are super easy to get used to, they have amazing ANC, really great feature set in terms of software, good battery life and good sound quality for TWS headphones. I personally really like the soundstage, to my ears it's impressively open and wide. They're also easy to EQ with the app.

Also, the part about the DAC is 100% correct, all TWS headphones have their own DAC and AMP circuitry so the best and intended way to use them is to just pair them with your phone. Specifically for the XM4, if you have an Android phone these will work with LDAC which is a high quality codec so you can theoretically stream high quality source over BT. If you have an iphone or any other Apple gadgets that you want to use these with, you'll probably not have the same experience since there's no LDAC support on Apple devices (yet).

hope this helps a little. Also, there's no stupid questions.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,505 of 2,999
These are really surprisingly good, bought them initially primarily because the overall total package seemed to be good, but with a bit of tuning and tip rolling the resulting sound is very agreeable.
I'm using the treble EQ preset with a bit of added clear bass and the "Sound by Sweden powered by Supra Comfort Foam Tipps" and the result is crisp sound with excellent powerful and rather well textured bass and most surprisingly an impressive soundstage. The latter seems to primarily be a result of the tips, though the EQ probably helps, too.
I won't sell my cabled IEMs any time soon, but the WF4s are definitely being used a lot more often than expected and without much regret. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one...
I'm thinking of buying these tips too. How would you compare the sound isolation too the stock tips?

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,506 of 2,999
I'm thinking of buying these tips too. How would you compare the sound isolation too the stock tips?
Sound isolation is worse than with the stock tips, but still quite good. Also, please be aware that these seem to come in rather small sizes.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,507 of 2,999
My revised tip preferences: SpinFit 360, Azla SednaEarfitLight Short, JVC SpiralDot++, Sony stock tips. The SpinFit tips are the brightest, with excellent integration across the spectrum; I also find them to be the most comfortable. The midrange on these is probably the clearest and cleanest of all. The soundstage is the most integrated, with great focus on the instrument and vocalist location left to right. They seem to let the port extend deeper into my ears than the others. The Azla tips' highs are a bit disjointed from the mids and the soundstage seems to be more left or right with lesser placement across the stage. The SpiralDot++ tips don't seem as integrated (the mids seem almost separated from the highs). The Sony tips isolate the best, but are dark and the sounds are increasingly muted as the frequency goes up.

Based on LDAC, sound quality prioritized, from my WM1A, with high resolution AIF files of live and studio recordings. Some moderate midrange to high boosts for all listening.

Fit tested first using my iPhone and the Sony app, then changed to the WM1A for listening (the connection to the WM1A is almost instantaneous).
Updated preferences: SpinFit 360 in Small or Sedna Xelastec SS. Both are very comfortable and very comparable. I also tried the Sedna Earfit Crystal in SS, which are very similar in sound to the Xelastec but not as comfortable (maybe a bit less cohesive sound with slightly less bass).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,508 of 2,999
Thought I would add my 2 cents. Got these a couple months ago. Just purchased B and O EQ and Bowers and Wilkins PI7. Sony wins. The Pi7 has more treble which makes them seem more detailed, but upon further a/B, they sound hollow compared to xm4. Highly recommended. Using Sedna Azla tips. They just work. They connect, have the app, sound great, and have fantastic ANC. I couldn't even tell when the PI7 ANC was on except that They get bassier compared to ambient. Curious if anyone has compared to the 2nd gen shure aonic 215.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #1,509 of 2,999
Hi guys I have been using Airpod Pro much more than I should (with several pairs of 1K+ or even 2K+ wired earbuds sitting silently in the drawer). Is there any final word for XM4 vs PI7? I am listening wirelessly so much, I may as well get a better pair.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,510 of 2,999
Hi guys I have been using Airpod Pro much more than I should (with several pairs of 1K+ or even 2K+ wired earbuds sitting silently in the drawer). Is there any final word for XM4 vs PI7? I am listening wirelessly so much, I may as well get a better pair.
The final word will come from your ears and brain. PI7 are more comfy, XM4 have more features and are more reliable in terms of connectivity. Sound wise I prefer XM4 because, even after equing them both, sonys sound smoother and convenient for longer listenings. PI7 are more detailed and their sound is fuller but I didn't like stock tuning, too much base and a weird treble response. Final word could be that XM4 have a better tonality but PI7 have an higher technical grade.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,511 of 2,999
Have you looked into what FiiO is offering? You could get a top class IEM (or use one from your collection) and combine it with one of their Bluetooth devices. Look up the UTWS3 for instance.

drftr

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,512 of 2,999
I am amazed at how much better the battery life is with NC & ambient turned off. I have found no good reason to leave them on when listening to music at home in a quiet environment. I listen to 90% of my music @ full volume with LDAC 909/990 so that eats up plenty of battery.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,513 of 2,999
I am amazed at how much better the battery life is with NC & ambient turned off. I have found no good reason to leave them on when listening to music at home in a quiet environment. I listen to 90% of my music @ full volume with LDAC 909/990 so that eats up plenty of battery.
With eq and anc on listening from an iPhone (so aac) I get about 10 hours on a charge (proportional as I’ve never used them more than 5 1/2 hours in a stretch which consumed nearly 50%)

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,514 of 2,999
Must be phone dependent then. This was on my LG V60 (and another LG user reported it didn't work either). But I'm switching to the Fold 3 and hope it will work.
Tried this with my new Fold 3 and setting does stick now. It is phone dependent. Dunno what LG's problem is, lol. Seems like it's a go on Samsung's.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,515 of 2,999
With eq and anc on listening from an iPhone (so aac) I get about 10 hours on a charge (proportional as I’ve never used them more than 5 1/2 hours in a stretch which consumed nearly 50%)

Even on Android I'm guessing I'd see the same 8-10 hours of use with AAC & EQ on as well.

With LDAC it drops to 5-6 hours. I'm mostly using these for travel, so no need for LDAC anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back