Sony Walkman Tune (OEM Update)
Jun 25, 2021 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RobertP

100+ Head-Fier
The thread is dedicated for Non-custom tune firmware. Everyone are welcome. Let me introduce the tune.

Eclipse II for NW-WM1Z/WM1A >> Link
IF you had MOD firmware installed before, Please make sure it returned to stock and update "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) first. This will restore the sound of your Walkman to original OEM.

For fully stock WM1Z/1A, you may skip the step above.

"REBOOT WALKMAN 2 TIMES" after installed Eclipse tune.

R&D for the project is 600+ hours. It was a very difficult task to self-understanding how binary tune works since there is no information about it out there.

Like solar or lunar eclipse event, all tune code from each line are working in harmony as one single tune. They are all related and equally important. When everything are aligned perfectly, It's a very satisfy experience.

High are very smooth and better extension.
Mid are significantly more resolved and maintaining the warmth full body. Better imaging, separation and quite spacious. Great soundstage in all xyz axies.
Bass are larger, tighter and more texture. Also deeper and more layering.

Features:
True 16-bit array tune.
Safe up to 8% more battery life.

Low gain in J region FW 3.02.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 22
The thread is dedicated for Non-custom tune firmware. Everyone are welcome. Let me introduce the tune.

IF you had MOD firmware installed before, Please make sure it returned to stock and update "NW-WM1_V3_02.exe" for (4 TIMES) first. This will restore the sound of your Walkman to original OEM.

R&D for the project is 600+ hours. It was a very difficult task to self-understanding how binary tune works since there is no information about it out there.

Like solar or lunar eclipse event, all tune code from each line are working in harmony as one single tune in 16-bit. They are all related and equally important. When everything are aligned perfectly, It's a very satisfy experience.

Mid are significantly more resolved and maintaining the warmth full body. Better imaging, separation and quite spacious. Great soundstage in all xyz axies.

When you say "non-custom tune firmware", do you mean that this firmware only adjust sound quality and does nothing else to the stock 3.02 firmware? So no enhanced/updated features, etc., just modification to sound?

Also, why must you install stock firmware 4 times if previously using another custom firmware?

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 22
When you say "non-custom tune firmware", do you mean that this firmware only adjust sound quality and does nothing else to the stock 3.02 firmware? So no enhanced/updated features, etc., just modification to sound?

Also, why must you install stock firmware 4 times if previously using another custom firmware?
Yes as opposed to the MrWalkman modded fw that also addresses various forms of technical and funtional issues/features plus some level of sound tuning, these are purely sound tunes. Technically they could probably be applied in place of or on top of the MrWalkman custom fw tune but what the result would be is unknown since that is not what this tune has been developed for or based on.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 22

Yes, only mod for sound quality. I would be happy to add all those features for you but since MrWalkman does not share how he be able to decrypt the firmware so no one else that I know of can customize the firmware.

After run official update 4 time, sound quality of you Walkman will be fully restore back to OEM.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 22
Yes as opposed to the MrWalkman modded fw that also addresses various forms of technical and funtional issues/features plus some level of sound tuning, these are purely sound tunes. Technically they could probably be applied in place of or on top of the MrWalkman custom fw tune but what the result would be is unknown since that is not what this tune has been developed for or based on.
I may also make the tune on top of custom fw since there is no newer release so far. I just don't want to start the project and by the time I finished, it's already become obsolete because R&D will be up to 3 months to finish.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 22

Like solar or lunar eclipse event, all tune code from each line are working in harmony as one single tune. They are all related and equally important. When everything are aligned perfectly, It's a very satisfy experience.

Features:
True 16-bit array tune.
Safe up to 8% more battery life.

Hi RobertP.
This looks really interesting! Will try it out this afternoon. Is it comparable with anything before it? A certain planet or something close to one of Mr.Walkman's? The "true 16-bit array tune" thing, what is that? Will my 24-bit music be limited by this? And finally, if I regret, how do I revert to stock?
BTW. The x4 update rutine does actually work as you described! Thank you!

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 22
I have already found the issue of current release Eclipse. The tune works excellent for my 1z and 1a with hardware MODs but not for other OEM players. I believe those HW MODs dramatically changed my Walkmans sound big time. Back to drawingboard lol. Sad but true.

Eclipse is based on 8x2-bit. One for mid to low and mid to high for another. 8x2 lines pair of code that total of 16. Works great even on DSD.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 22
I have already found the issue of current release Eclipse. The tune works excellent for my 1z and 1a with hardware MODs but not for other OEM players. I believe those HW MODs dramatically changed my Walkmans sound big time. Back to drawingboard lol. Sad but true.

Eclipse is based on 8x2-bit. One for mid to low and mid to high for another. 8x2 lines pair of code that total of 16. Works great even on DSD.
Ok, any pointers or views on any of my questions? It would really help me a lot! :) At this point, I'm not sure if I want to experiment with this!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 22
Ok, any pointers or views on any of my questions? It would really help me a lot! :) At this point, I'm not sure if I want to experiment with this!
As far as what the tune sound like on my gears. It's a mix of FEv2 and Dawn. High is somewhat similar to Dawn and the rest are more like FEv2. I hope this answer you question.
better revision tune will be release later as soon it's ready.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 22
As far as what the tune sound like on my gears. It's a mix of FEv2 and Dawn. High is somewhat similar to Dawn and the rest are more like FEv2. I hope this answer you question.
better revision tune will be release later as soon it's ready.
That's very good to hear! I'll wait and check out the revisioned tune! I'm a big fan of the FEv2, so that sound promising! I'll stay in touch! Thank you! :)

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 22
hello, i just installed eclipse 2. is it normal that the progress bar on the sony does not finish? thank you
This update process is very much the same to official Sony update. It rarely happen. If it get stuck and not automatically reboot by itself, just hold down power button for 10 seconds and your Walkman will turn right back on again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back