Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
Feb 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #331 of 471
Hey Eagle, 

Hope your trip went well. 

Yeah I took the DT1770 off my list. I didn't catch the 250 ohm spec earlier. I have NO interest in a desktop setup. Well I'll keep an eye on the MrSpeakers headphones too. 

So wait, balanced headphones won't work on the HA-2? Why do you say that? Doesn't the other end of that balanced cable just have 1 connector anyway? I never thought that would be an issue. 

Ya know, I just found out that AKG makes a highly-rated bluetooth version of the K545 or K550 headphone (reviews I've read describe sound signature closer to K550, though they say it's closer to K545 b/c size is smaller than K550 like K545 is, but I don't agree on sound b/c they say K545 is bassy and these aren't...... well, not AS bassy as the K545 appear to be lol).................the AKG K845BT. I really like that they made these because for people I know who don't like wired headphones, these are a PERFECT choice b/c they offer that great neutral AKG sound and bluetooth too, and look JUST like the K550/K553 as well! Yeah, the K553 sounds slightly better than the K550, but I think these will probably still sound MUCH better than most bluetooth headphones in the under $500 range, and even most wired headphones in that range as well, and they only run for about $280 on Amazon. I'm considering trying these out sometime soon. If I do, I'll post a comparison of them vs. K553. One great thing about these is that they actually COME with the option to connect a cable to them for when you don't want to use the battery. They say a SLIGHT bump in volume and sound quality is apparent when using the cable, but only a tiny one. For me tiny is still something lol, but I mean the idea that people can hear pretty much exactly what I hear with K553 but on a pair of wireless headphones is just fantastic to me. I want EVERYONE to hear what I hear, even wireless headphone lovers! lol

Anyway......... why would you be hooking up the A17 to an external DAC? I don't get why people mix them together. If that's what you're gonna do, you might as well just play off your phone like I do. The DAC on the A17 is already great, but if it's "not enough" for you, then you should just get a more expensive DAP. The whole point (to me anyway) of a DAP is that you don't NEED to have an in-between device (i.e. like the HA-2) b/c your source player is already premium quality. 

So you're using digital coax cables b/c of the FiiO X3ii? Man, get rid of that thing already. It's 2016 lol. F coax cables. lol Too many great USB to Micro USB options out there to let yourself be confined to coax. The A17 uses a proprietary USB cable, but whatever. It's still USB. 

Yeah sounds like you wanna go same route as me (phone/player to HA-2 to headphones), which is cool. Yeah let me know. And remember to get that extension cable too for iPhone if you buy HA-2. That link I gave you gives you different lengths and options. The cables that come with HA-2 are only about 6 inches, which to me is too short. I like 3-4' cables the best. Not too long, not too short. 

HA-2 dressed in a tux? I like it. lol It is a DAMN CLASSY piece of electronic machinery. The FiiO E18K comes close, but doesn't look AS cool, and also from what I've read, the HA-2 sounds slightly better too. But they are both are identical feature-wise. 

When you say you don't keep Hi-Res files in your library, does that mean you DO buy & downsample them like I do, or that you just don't ever get any Hi-Res music period? I hope it's the former. lol I JUST got Elton John's classic album "Honky Chateau" in DSD (considered 1 step above Hi-Res) from Acoustic Sounds (no one else offers it in Hi-Res, and this is better anyway), and it sounded AMAZING. I even compared one of the songs on there to the mp3 version I had. I could tell instantly it was an improvement over the mp3 version. They have a special where any digital Elton John album is 25% off if you enter the promo code ELTONJOHN on the checkout page, so I only paid like $18 for it. The "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album (amongst other Hi-Res ones there) is like his best album. I got that one too like a year ago (not DSD, Hi-Res), and sounds incredible! So many great songs on that one too (a double album). That site rocks! 

Well you're welcome man! I'm glad the info I'm giving is of benefit to you. 

Yeah maybe one day. I would maybe go up to $500-$700 max right now, just because I got that Amazon Prime Store Card deal I mentioned earlier. But right now I'm not convinced anything in that price range would DEFINITELY outdo my K553. And that would also look nice too (I'm looking at YOU, the highly-rated but plasticky huge NAD VISO HP50! lol). Maybe the Beyer T70P or the Shure SRH1540 headphones, but not sure on either. I may try out the T70P sometime soon as well as the SRH1540. The T70P doesn't have a detachable cord either (like K553), though it does 45mm speaker drivers, while the Shure does have a detachable cable (can get a 6' one from the 10' one, so not too bad) but only 40mm speaker drivers, so not too sure how vast its soundstage will be, though most reviews say it's spacious like AKG's. 

See I already get that feeling though from my K553. On dozens upon dozens of songs I've owned for years, hearing them again (esp the Hi-Res ones) on them is like hearing them for the first time. I also had an experience like that too (songs I didn't use to care for but do now). The live version of the Fleetwood Mac song "Don't Stop", from their Live (1979) album, like the the studio version...... was just an "ok" song from the band. But when I heard that live version (in Hi-Res) on just the original K550, I was like wow the drums (etc) sound so amazing....and I ended up liking it a little more than before. So I know what you mean. I believe that $1500 headphones would sound better, but I too believe in the law of diminishing demands as well. I do like that approach though. Maybe I will start incorporating it into my "listening test sessions" too? lol Although for me it's about finding songs that offer details that only a great pair of neutral-style headphones can properly render. Like you may remember from my "K553 vs. Master & Dynamic MH40" review, the part ("Clarity" section) where I tested both 'phones on "Crystal" stood as a defining moment for me, and was what determined which headphones I would keep. 

That song has a history with my experiences in using AKG headphones. I remember the AKG K550 being the third pair of premium headphones I'd bought after being disappointed by the first two (Sennheiser HD 598 ((which I now like more since trying out the 598 SE)), and the Audio-Technica M50x). But before buying them, I remember going to the Magnolia section at my local Best Buy and they had them on display there. I brought my old FiiO E6 (or E11K??) amp with me. (Yes, there was a time I only used an amp. Hey, I was a Jedi in training! lol) Anyway, I hooked up the FiiO amp to my headphones and my smartphone, and played Crystal with the volume fairly up there. The part at about 0:45 where the drums slowly thunder in...... I'll never forget that moment. It was simply magical! And if THAT wasn't clear enough of a sign that AKG was the best, the next line that Lindsay Buckingham sings is "....then I KNEW...." PERFECT! lol Of course now it sounds even better with the HA-2 and the K553, and I leave the EQ setting OFF on my Poweramp app as I feel it adds more clarity (though on the A17, I'd still boost the 2.5kHz EQ band up 2 notches). If you wanna experience what I'm saying, you can buy the album "Fleetwood Mac" here and also the megahit classic "Rumours" here. Both are 10/10 IMO with regards to sound quality. The FM album was recorded at a slightly lower volume than most Hi-Res albums are, but it still sounds incredible, in every way possible! (Use promo code 12PERCENT to get 12% off, on the checkout page)

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #332 of 471
Rockstar,

The reason I want to use a Fiio X3ii or a Sony A15 to feed a DAC is that, I don't want to use my Phone for music playback for reason such as touchscreen, lack of physical music control buttons, message/call interruptions. I would happily use the Sony A15 as a standalone DAP, but the sound quality of the A15 is not that great in my experience. It does not match the transparency of the Fiio X3ii, has a weak amp (lacking in power), has a poorly implemented amp section (which shows up as background noise/ hiss with low impedance IEMs).

The reason I am still hesitant to buy a HA-2 or Mojo or any DAC for that matter is, I am not a fan of stacking or tethering. So I am still exploring options such as Fiio X7 and other standalone DAPs in that range. I am not a fan of having a touch screen on a music player but, turns out that my options are limited. The Hi-Fi DAPs that lack touch screen are even worse when it comes to UI. Basically if there was a DAP with the design of Fiio X3ii or Sony A15 with the performance of a Fiio X7, I would have jumped it already.
biggrin.gif

The A&K T5p version comes with a cable that has a 2.5mm TRRS termination. But I just checked and they also include a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter so that you can use it with your HA-2. Or you could get the T5p 2nd Gen that comes default with a cable with the 3.5mm termination. On the 2nd gen, the connectors on the cable on the headphone end is different from the 1st gen. 

I have not purchased any Hi-Res content so far. All I have are redbook 16/44 FLACs and 320kbps MP3s. I am from India and the music of my language (Tamil) are not widely available in Hi-Res formats. I tried looking for those once and then I gave up when I couldn't find any. May be someday once I own a TOTL IEM I will start updating my collection to Hi-Res content. Lets see. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #333 of 471
Eagle, 

When you tried the A15, did you try my A17 (same device, just more memory) sound option suggestions? I found that when I turned off all the extra stuff and made that change to the EQ, the sound quality noticeably improved. I dunno, I never tried the FiiO DAP, so I can't say much about it. 

I C. Well I guess just weigh your options and see what stands out. 

Ok cool. Cuz those Shure headphones come with balanced cables, so good to know it will still work with the HA-2. Thx for double-checking. 

Oh I see. So you're FROM India but live in Texas now. Cool. 

Well maybe they will get a Hi-Res release one day? Who knows. But I don't think you need TOTL IEMs or headphones to enjoy Hi-Res. I mean, I listen on my $170 K553s and they sound BEYOND incredible to me, esp with the HA-2 in the mix. You should consider the sites and/or albums I've mentioned in recent posts to try it all out. I think you'll be surprised at just how great they will sound, not to mention, those are some top-rated albums too. Tracks that get better with every listen. I'm not saying use your cheapest IEMs or headphones lol, but use the best you got and if it's anything in or over the $100-$200 range, you should be hearing a TON of detail!

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #335 of 471
Rockstar,

I had the A15 almost 5 months back. When I owned it, I did not have any sound enhancing option turned on. But I did not change anything on the EQ either. EQ would have helped had I not liked the tonality or felt like it lacked details. But it was the transparency it lacked. A/B between the 2, X3ii had more transparency. Acoustic instruments sound more natural on the X3ii. I am sure that is how it is on the HA-2 and quite possibly slightly more transparent than the X3ii.

I have been reading great things about the T5p 2nd Gen. Apparently even the A&K T5p is about to get upgraded to the 2nd Gen. And if what I am reading is true, apparently the 2nd Gen improves upon the short comings of the 1st Gen.

Yes, but it would be a while before I start seeing the Hi-Res content because the market for Hi-Fi audio in my state is fairly niche. Regardless I must say I am fortunate because there is a Music Director/Composer/Artist from our region who does excellent recordings. You could look him up: A.R.Rahman. I am guessing you would have heard of the movie Slum-dog Millionaire. He composed the scores and tracks for the movie. I believe he won an Oscar for it. He also got nominated for his work for the movie 127 Hours.

Thanks for the links buddy! Your words about the Hi-Res content has really got me interested. I am going to check these out. Do you by any chance listen to Western Classical like Beethoven or Mozart etc? If yes, could you please share some links to some of their work in Hi-Res too. I am not big on Western Classical but I do like listening to those once in a while.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #336 of 471
Eagle, 

I see. Ok. Some of the reviews I read said there were pros and cons to both players too. Here are 2 from Amazon saying they felt the X5 and X5ii (both being 1-2 generations ahead of the X3ii) didn't sound as good as the A17. The 2nd guy says Sony gave him a trick to use which helped too, so I'm asking anyone who reads this that still has an A17 to try it and see if it works (karaoke setting). He/she also does mention that FiiO is better in one way over the A17. 

5.0 out of 5 starsBest sounding unit on the market
By Jeff on September 22, 2015
Digital Storage Capacity: 64

I am a long time Sony Walkman owner I have owned 3 different models before getting this one. Sony is famous for making great sounding mp3 players that are easy to use and last a long time between charges. Before buying the NWZA17 I did buy a Fiio X5ii to try which was double the price of the Sony. I was very disappointed in the Fiio. It was big ,heavy, didn't play video and most important it didn't sound near as good as my 16 gig Sony Walkman so I took it back. I recently bought the NWZA17 and I am very pleased. It sounds best with all the extra sound features turned off but do use the built in equalizer.

I liked the unit when I first got it but it seemed to sound more compressed than my other Walkmans. Walkmans normally have a very open natural sound. Well I found a Fix to open up the sound on my new Walkman from a very friendly customer service technician at Sony. He said go to the Karaoke setting in the menu and select Language Study mode. Wow! It sounds fantastic now, it opened up the sound and sounds very natural like my old Walkman. That was my only issue with the new NWZA17 but now after this handy fix I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this product and highly recommend it. Last I love that it comes with a built in 64 gigs of memory plus I added a 128 gig microSDXC card that gives me a total of 192 gigs storage. This Walkman also has plenty of power to power larger headphones.

5.0 out of 5 starsBetter than my Fiio X5, and cheaper.
By MAPerry on October 29, 2015
Digital Storage Capacity: 64

Better than my Fiio X5. Loads playlists in one fifth the time. Seems much stronger on the highs and mids, about equal on the low frequencies. I think the Fiio is a little better with sound dimensionality/stage. First tried this player with the store's $100 set of Sony earphones, sounded muddy. This player begs for the highest quality earphone you can get. Then I played it on some high end westone's in ear monitor. Wow!

Player does not recognize folder structure from Fiio (a FAT32 file format). It does see the music and lists/plays them by MP3 tag. It does play Fiio created playlists (file monkey, itunes, and other generic). The walkman does see the file structure on a micro SD if it is formatted NTFS. I'm not sure if or how the player distinguishes between internal and micro SD card. If I had the same song on both media and played by artist, I would hear the song twice.

I did also however find a couple reviews which trashed the Sony A17 in favor of the FiiO players, so I guess it comes down to personal taste. Like this one (although it IS for the more expensive X5):

3.0 out of 5 starsTheres a much better player in town than this Sony
By Michael J on April 4, 2015
Digital Storage Capacity: 64Verified Purchase

I'm assuming the reason anyone would want to buy this Sony dedicated music player is principally because they are interested in the best sound quality they can get for their music collection . . . . otherwise a smartphone of most any recent pedigree will do. Based on that assumption, I think this Sony misses the mark. I have a FiiO X5 but my dog chewed it up, so I decided instead of replacing with the same thing, I'd give the Sony a try. In comparison (there is none) to the FiiO X5, the Sony is nowhere near close in terms of overall sound quality. Not only does it lack sufficient power to deliver satisifying volumes on some (jazz, classical, vocals) music, it lacks the sound stage, tight bass, and punchy dynamics of the FiiO X5. It is true the user interface is outstanding as is the battery life and the Bluetooth feature can be useful. It is also true the FiiO x5 user interface is clunky and the unit is much heavier and battery life is not nearly as good. Having said all that, I figure someone willing to plunk down $300 greens is primarily interested in an audiophile experience not delivered on a smartphone. Therefore, the FiioX5 is superior - this Sony is going back to Amazon and I'm going to order another FiiO X5 to replace the one my dog destroyed.

NICE on the 2 T5p headphones! They both look really cool too.

I've heard and SEEN both those of movies actually! That's very cool. But living in Texas, you still have access to the same sites I do (which I posted here recently I believe; if not, let me know). So at least you can try out some of the Hi-Res content that IS available. What rock bands or artists do you like (or just at least ones I've probably heard of), if any? You can simply just go to any of those sites and type in their name and in most cases they'll have at least one album in Hi-Res, if not dozens. If you're not sure, I can try to suggest some besides Fleetwood Mac and Elton John. 

Yeah man, you're very welcome! I'm glad my words got you interested........... to REALLY enjoy premium headphones (whether they're TOTL or not lol), I believe need to have a great DAP or amp/DAC setup, great headphones.......... and, you can't neglect the source either. As great as a finely-coded mp3 might sound, it will never outdo a Hi-Res version. Hi-Res DO NOT sound better b/c of the higher resolution as I mentioned before (just as long as it's above mp3 lol), it's that the studios use a much better MASTER (or remaster) with these releases. So downsampling them to CDQ (CD-Quality) does not change anything at all. Maybe to a dog it would lol, but not to humans. Definitely try out those 2 Mac albums in 96/24 (also consider Tusk ((regular/original version is fine)) and the Live album..... awesome! The solos on "Go Your Own Way" and "I'm So Afraid" from Live ((1979)) will blow your mind! lol). And for Elton John, Honky Chateu is great, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is even better (just get the 96/24 version. It sounds amazing! Unless you wanna spend $50 on one album? lol), and consider these singles from the Pono site as well (I own all these songs/albums mentioned here lol): Tiny Dancer and Madman Across the Water, Your Song and Border Song, and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (awesome soundstage and instrument separation on this one; Philadelphia Freedom is optional on that last one). For the Mac albums, just get the 96/24 ones. I can't verify that the 192/24 ones will sound any better. They usually don't. lol 

Note: Don't forget, on Acoustic Sounds..... use "ELTONJOHN" promo code for his albums to get 25% off, then go back and buy the Mac albums separately using promo code "12PERCENT" to get 12% off. 

Each of these sites have their own software you have to download in order to be able to download your purchased songs. Not a big deal at all really. You can then downsample them using dBpoweramp, or your own software like Windows Media Player or iTunes I guess. But dBPoweramp is also free (after free trial ends, the conversion option will STILL work!). For the DSD Honky Chateau album, in order to properly downsample it to CDQ (use settings: Wave, Uncompressed - 16-bit, 44.1kHz, Channels - ((Same)) as source........then in order to ensure all metadata is retained ((Wave doesn't do this)), convert that Wave file/album to Apple Lossless ((ALAC)) as FLAC can't be played on an iPhone), you will need to install the DSD plug-in for dBpoweramp beforehand, found here. If you need any help with this stuff, let me know. If you give those albums a chance (I can suggest more down the line.......MANY more! lol), you may like them more than you think you will. 

I really don't listen to classical music at all, but I do respect it greatly! The thing is Eagle, Hi-Res seems to be MORE than dedicated to providing a ton of classical (including Western Classical) to people. They have a boatload of Hi-Res and even DSD offerings for classical lovers. Let's see..........for Mozart I'd look here, and for Beethoven, I'd look here (remember 12PERCENT!). You can look around as well on HDTracks, Pono, and 7Digital to see what they have and to compare prices, etc. 

Again, let me know if you have any questions. But now you got a really great start! If you like the bands I mentioned, I will suggest more (both lighter and heavier rock, folk, etc). 

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #337 of 471
Rockstar,

I have also come across a few people who chose the A15 over the X3ii because in their test, A15 sounded better. And I totally believe them. To my ears through my headphone, X3ii sounded better. So yes, like you mentioned, it all comes down to personal taste and experience.

Well, looks like there are a lot of sources for Hi-Res stuff out there. I will start exploring. May be I will discover new tastes during the search. Lets see. I'll keep you posted..

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #338 of 471
Eagle, 

I see. Yeah, I think that's a good point you made.........that the type of headphones WILL have an effect on how a certain player sounds. I've only tried the FiiO amps (not amp/DACs), but they sounded great I thought. 

Yeah it's been expanding a lot over the last couple years. 7Digital is one I JUST found out about a month ago. Like Pono, they offer the option to buy individual tracks as well on certain albums (the studio or recording label decides this, not the seller). That's saved me a A LOT of money because there have been several Hi-Res tracks that I wanted vs. buy the entire album. I download from Pono and Acoustic Sounds the most, but sometimes HDTracks will get an album sooner. Or they will carry it but the other won't, and sometimes vice versa. Your best bet is too just open a tab for each one and price check them all and see if they're available too. A bunch of times that Acoustic Sounds site was more for an album, but then their promo codes made it lower than the rest. Pono TENDS to be the cheapest, but again they don't always have albums that the others might (i.e., Elton John's "Honky Chateau" is only available on Acoustic Sounds in DSD, where the other sites only have it as CD-Quality or mp3.) Again, DSD IS Hi-Res, but like a step above regular Hi-Res. Only a fraction of the albums that you see available in Hi-Res are available in DSD as well, so it's kind of a rare treat. In the case with Chateau, there isn't even a regular Hi-Res version available, only the DSD one. 

Yeah feel free to explore. If you like John and Mac, I would also recommend Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (as well as solo Tom Petty, which is arguably better), The Eagles, Band of Horses, Bruce Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Norah Jones, John Lennon's solo albums/tracks, My Morning Jacket, Otis Redding, R.E.M., The Beach Boys ("Don't Worry Baby - Stereo version" in Hi-Res is beyond incredible), Stevie Wonder, The Band, The National, Van Morrison, and U2 are all great choices.........more on the soft side for the most part. 

For some heavier/softer choices........ Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Pearl Jam, Faces, Interpol, Lenny Kravitz, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nirvana, The Doors, and The Who are all winners. I have at least one song to several albums by these artists/bands in Hi-Res and/or DSD, and they always sounded phenomenal!

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #339 of 471
  Eagle, 

Yeah feel free to explore. If you like John and Mac, I would also recommend Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (as well as solo Tom Petty, which is arguably better), The Eagles, Band of Horses, Bruce Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Norah Jones, John Lennon's solo albums/tracks, My Morning Jacket, Otis Redding, R.E.M., The Beach Boys ("Don't Worry Baby - Stereo version" in Hi-Res is beyond incredible), Stevie Wonder, The Band, The National, Van Morrison, and U2 are all great choices.........more on the soft side for the most part. 

For some heavier/softer choices........ Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Pearl Jam, Faces, Interpol, Lenny Kravitz, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nirvana, The Doors, and The Who are all winners. I have at least one song to several albums by these artists/bands in Hi-Res and/or DSD, and they always sounded phenomenal!

Hey thanks for taking your time to help me out with these recommendations. This is great. Exactly what I wanted. I didn't know where to start until now. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #340 of 471
Eagle, 

Yeah no problem! It didn't sound like you were too familiar with much American music, so I figured I'd give enough options to choose from. 

Just listen to the samples on the various sites I told you about, and then decide from there. For like Zeppelin, Eagles, Stones........ just buy all the albums. lol For Mac and John, just the ones I mentioned. There's only so many albums anyway for each. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #341 of 471
Just wanted to say thank you for starting--and keeping up--this excellent thread.

I received an NWZ-A17 and MDR-1ABT headphones yesterday and OMG I am blown away. My main purpose is to use this combo for air travel so wireless, great battery life and superb sound quality are a combination I thought I would never have. I picked up some Hi-Res tracks and will read over your recommendations for a few more, but one day in I am a very happy customer!

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #342 of 471
Just wanted to say thank you for starting--and keeping up--this excellent thread.

I received an NWZ-A17 and MDR-1ABT headphones yesterday and OMG I am blown away. My main purpose is to use this combo for air travel so wireless, great battery life and superb sound quality are a combination I thought I would never have. I picked up some Hi-Res tracks and will read over your recommendations for a few more, but one day in I am a very happy customer!

Sure thing! I'm glad people are still finding this thread relevant and useful!

That's awesome that you're enjoying your new Hi-Fi combo! Both are great products! I used to have the regular 1A headphones, and they sounded great! Especially if you like a lil extra bass.

For those that don't, consider the AKG K553 if in the U.S., or else the AKG K550 MK II if in Europe. I believe they are the same, or extremely close. I prefer the more neutral sound of the AKG K553. A very close Bluetooth version to these which does have a lil extra bass & is a lil smaller too would be the AKG K845BT. I have tried them out....a few months ago, and they sounded great too! Not sure if they had more or less bass than the 1A did though? Maybe slightly less?

Sounds like you're DEFINITELY on the right track if you've gotten Hi-Res tracks already, and yes, definitely see my audio configuration suggestions on the A17 as well. And don't forget, since you have the A17 (make sure to update it if you haven't already and that no songs are on device when you do), after updating it you will have LDAC, which I believe the 1ABT already has. In A17's settings, switch Bluetooth settings to LDAC, and the sub-option to favor strongest audio quality. LDAC transmits 3 times the data that regular Bluetooth can. So if you got it, use it.

The EQ suggestions.....ask if you can't find it in thread.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #343 of 471
I did the firmware update immediately and have listened to nothing but LDAC, which sounds great. Very occasionally it seems to choke but I have found that is when I have put the player in my pocket. For my purposes, I don't see this being a problem long-term.

Sorry, where are those EQ settings again?

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #344 of 471
  I did the firmware update immediately and have listened to nothing but LDAC, which sounds great. Very occasionally it seems to choke but I have found that is when I have put the player in my pocket. For my purposes, I don't see this being a problem long-term.

Sorry, where are those EQ settings again?

Ok great! Sony says to remove the songs when doing the updates, but if you didn't have them on, that's fine too. In the future just make sure to take them off, update, then put them back on (I know, kinda dumb, but whatever.)

I'm glad you figured out how to resolve that LDAC issue. I've tried using Bluetooth on the Astell & Kern Jr. and the FiiO X7. Though both could get a bit louder than the A17 (non-LDAC), they both had issues which I could not ignore. The Jr. would cut off the first few seconds of each song played via Bluetooth, and the X7 I think had some distortion issues or something like that (was a couple mos ago that I tried them all out). I tried the new ZX100 Walkman out, but it has the same power output as the A17 and the $1200 ZX2, so I know all would have the same volume. The ZX100 had NO Bluetooth playing issues at all. Sony capped the power/volume output because........ I believe.........to save battery power. The battery life on the Walkmans is MUCH higher than the competition. I do not like this however because most (though not all) Hi-Res albums are mastered/remastered at a lower volume for balancing reasons. So when you turn up the volume, it's always extra smooth, NEVER "whooshh in your face" like CDs and especially mp3s are. But then you need to be able to get a higher volume on your player to hear them properly. The A17 wired I recall was loud enough, but via BT I could see some Hi-Res tracks not being loud enough perhaps. I really wish Sony would reconsider this, especially as they continue to promote LDAC so much. 

Let me know which Hi-Res albums you got and also which ones you plan to get. I'd like to know your thoughts on how they sound on the A17/1ABT combo, after my sound suggestions are applied of course. lol I may be able to tell you what to look for to make sure you realize how great they are. 

The sound settings suggestions are very simple. See my previous post for that info. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #345 of 471
   The A17 wired I recall was loud enough, but via BT I could see some Hi-Res tracks not being loud enough perhaps. I really wish Sony would reconsider this, especially as they continue to promote LDAC so much. 

@rockstar...I don't have any hi-res tracks (yet)...but experienced this on a few discs that were mastered at a lower than normal level.  (Petra's More Power To Ya, and Not Of This World come to mind).  On those few occasions I turned on the "dynamic normalizer" in the music settings.  Usually I leave it off.  You are right about Sony's levels....sometimes I'd like to have a bit more.  

@popper...I have the same remote set-up...the NWZA17 with the Sony MDR1abt.  At first I was going to use it for the treadmill...then decided I didn't want to wreck a perfectly good set of BT headphones...so use it around the house when I don't want to be tied to a cord.  I actually stumbled upon rockstar's initial post (last October I think) while looking for a replacement for the Ipod classic...and I've been happy with the purchase.  Picked up igadgitz leather flip case for it...has worked out well for me.  I've had the 1abt's since January....bluetooth has come a long way.  I ended up going with the Sony's probably because I had the LDAC available already in the NWZA17 and thought I'd give it a shot to see how they sounded.  Thought about the Sennheiser's rockstar mentioned (I have the HD600's and love them)...but did not want an on-ear phone.  

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back