Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
Aug 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #406 of 471

Yes the S5 sounded a lot more natural, there was not much difference.. the DAC what about the Amplifier chip ? 
I know its a crazy thought the idea that a player this expensive would sound no better, I wouldnt say it sounded much worse either.
With something like amplifiers eg "Class-A" over the usualy "Class-B" ive noticed massive diference but know theres only one or two DAP's on the market that have a Class-A output stage and they are out of my price range.  Also usualy there is a big diference in MP3 vs Lossless. on the A17 I did not notice that so much only a little yet on the Samsung Galaxy S5 it was much more in your face. 

Yes I used the A17 with nothing enabled, as plain as you can get it but still no change.
My headphones were Musical Fidelity EB33,  maybe that was the issue ? doubt it though :)

Well DAC and amp too. I didn't mean to imply the amp doesn't matter, but most ppl on here seem to focus on the DAC so I tend to also. lol

Not really crazy, I just don't know if I'd agree. I'd have to listen myself to determine it. However, I HAD at the time (pre-A17) bought the cheaper iBasso DX50 ($200) and pitted it against my Z3, and I too like you couldn't hear a difference. HOWEVER, after returning that I bought the $300 A17 and I could most definitely hear differences, esp after applying the settings I linked you (which has you noticed was originally posted MUCH earlier in this thread). 

Oh yeah, when studios release albums, it seems from my experience that the mp3 version always sounds the worst, and is much more prone to "sound deficiencies", even at 320 kbps (i.e. the wishy-washy sound of cymbals, which are usually a dead giveaway that you're listening to an mp3). That's why in that link if you kept reading my post, I mention Hi-Res music and how to find it, download it, convert it, etc. I find that higher-up AAC files sound NO different than lossless FLAC/ALAC files if they're from the SAME source. Since AAC are next-gen mp3s (thus their other name.......mp4), they are made to sound better. The truth is, the Hi-Res files sounding better b/c of the higher resolution is just marketing BS. The REAL truth is the Hi-Res ones simply have BETTER masters. THAT'S IT. It took me a long time to accept that, but I'm happier and better for it. Saves me so much money & time to not store those huge ***** files on cloud and phone. lol

I've read about studies done that prove that statistically people can tell a difference from mp3 vs. lossless, but NOT aac vs. lossless. They say 256 kbps-320 kbps AAC files can achieve this, but I encode all mine at 512 (CBR) kbps, just to be a lil safer. lol So as long as my SOURCE file is Hi-Res, converting it down to AAC using dbPoweramp (NO relation to Poweramp btw) makes NO difference in sound quality to me. I've tested this myself many times, even doing so using the ABX Test, and I could not tell a difference. I was storing my files as ALAC (and putting AACs on my phone) b/c they say doing that "futureproofs" them so if a new format comes out, you can convert to it w/o issues b/c it's lossless. But it takes up too much space, and I can't really imagine a new format coming out that will sound any better (and that I could simply "convert to"), so I'm in the process right now of converting all my backups to AAC. F it. lol 

Ok. But did you raise the 2.5Hz EQ band up 2 notches like I did too? Doing so made the vocals stronger and gave the drums more weight.

Didn't know those, so I had to look them up. Yeah, I would say that is MOST DEFINITELY the issue my friend. lol Earphones......to me, simply can't do what headphones can do, and most def not $83 ones like the EB33. I had $30 V-Moda earphones b4 and thought I was cool lol, but looking back they didn't even come close to what my headphones can do. You simply hear more detail, experience wider & most vast soundstage, etc, on really great headphones. After trying out SEVERAL premium headphones priced b/t $140-$400, it was apparent to me ONLY ONE gave me everything I was looking for.........a neutral/balanced sound, excellent clarity, bass is there but NOT overpowering, soundstage is HUGGGE, premium looks, great comfort, etc..............the AKG K550 MK II! And for that price ($140-$150), it was a no-brainer to buy it (I even got the $20 3-year warranty). They sounded better than even a few of the $400 headphones I'd tried out. Yup......it's the truth. I couldn't recommend them more! I pair them with my Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC, which is also beyond amazing, and play off my phone (Sony Xperia X Performance).

Since you are open to Android and don't want the A17, I would recommend you look into my setup for you. You can stack the HA-2 with your phone, or consider alternative amp/DAC options like the AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5, AD Red v1.5, the xDuoo XD-05, etc. The last 2 are considered by some to be better and cheaper than my $300 HA-2, but others disagree. I can't say as I don't know. The HA-2 is the sleekest and nicest looking of them all, great options, rapid charging, etc. 

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #407 of 471
Hey everyone, 

Just tried out a new pair of headphones..........the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay 2nd Generation H6, vs. my AKG K550 MK II. Probably the best headphone competition I've had yet! If you'd like to read about my experience comparing the two, see here

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #408 of 471
Heading to Japan next week and hitting some awesome headphone shops in Tokyo. Hoping I might come across the 2nd gen H6 to audition.

Marcos' ongoing review has convinced me they're worth a go. Low impedance as well - which is always a plus.

Hoping to pair them with my Sony A-25 player. Fingers crossed. Happy with my Sony MDR-1A's at present - but I'm sure the H6's will be an improvement.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #409 of 471
Heading to Japan next week and hitting some awesome headphone shops in Tokyo. Hoping I might come across the 2nd gen H6 to audition.

Marcos' ongoing review has convinced me they're worth a go. Low impedance as well - which is always a plus.

Hoping to pair them with my Sony A-25 player. Fingers crossed. Happy with my Sony MDR-1A's at present - but I'm sure the H6's will be an improvement.

Nice! Have a great trip! 

Yeah you definitely should. If not, just order them off Amazon when you get back and try them out. 

Yes his review was very convincing. It clarified a lot of things. Low impedance is a good thing for sure if you like portability, which I do. 

Yeah you should pair it with the A25. How are you liking the A25 btw? Seems about the same as the A17 but probably runs slightly faster since I'm sure it has a better processor and/or more RAM. But if you've tried both then that's cool, and you should tell us about it. 

I had the 1As for months last year. They are great, and super comfortable. But I think they (like many premium headphones) are a bit too bassy. The 2nd gen H6 has the RIGHT amount of bass, even more so than my K550s (which was shocking to me). The small handful of songs where I had to individually lower the bass down a bit was worth it considering like 99.9% of the other songs sound better now. Also I think the K550s and 1st & 2nd gen H6 have a better more expansive soundstage too. 

I think you will like the 2nd gen H6. Same price as the 1As too. If you do try it out, make sure comment on my K550 vs. 2nd gen H6 thread. I'd like to hear about it. 

Also, if and when you buy the H6, make sure you get that upgrade cable (an absolute MUST!) with and also I just bought this sweet third party case which is really nice and fits in the H6 + cables perfectly. 

Note: I would strongly suggest if you haven't already to read my post from earlier in this thread about the sound settings on the A17, which I'm sure could easily be applied your A25 (see top part). The rest of it is good to read too if you're interested in Hi-Res music. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #412 of 471
Sorry guys I didn't read all 28 pages but is this the best compact (gym friendly) player ?
I have ipod Nano 7th generation and sounds quality isn't great compare to iphone 4.

How this Sony against AK Junior ?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #413 of 471
  Sorry guys I didn't read all 28 pages but is this the best compact (gym friendly) player ?
I have ipod Nano 7th generation and sounds quality isn't great compare to iphone 4.

How this Sony against AK Junior ?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Canadian, 

I would say yes. You could spend more and get the $600-$700 Walkman (which I also tried and loved) or the $1200 one, but for $300, this is a great player! The A20-series is the same but I think it loads up a bit faster b/c of newer processor. 

I tried the AK Junior last year, and it was nice overall, but I didn't care for the sharp edges on it. I think I still preferred Sony's A17 over it. The Jr does have a touchscreen though which is cool, but still, I'd stay with Sony. And I believe for those who like Bluetooth that the Walkman was more stable than the Jr, if I'm remembering correctly. 

If you get the A17 OR any of the A20-series Walkmans, try out this hard clear case I got when I had my A17. Also, see this post from earlier in this thread for ways to make your experience better. At least read through the top part. The rest is optional but suggested. 

IF you feel the Walkman you get isn't loud enough (some do, some don't), then let me know and I'll suggest a good portable amp too.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #414 of 471

Hey Canadian, 

I would say yes. You could spend more and get the $600-$700 Walkman (which I also tried and loved) or the $1200 one, but for $300, this is a great player! The A20-series is the same but I think it loads up a bit faster b/c of newer processor. 

I tried the AK Junior last year, and it was nice overall, but I didn't care for the sharp edges on it. I think I still preferred Sony's A17 over it. The Jr does have a touchscreen though which is cool, but still, I'd stay with Sony. And I believe for those who like Bluetooth that the Walkman was more stable than the Jr, if I'm remembering correctly. 

If you get the A17 OR any of the A20-series Walkmans, try out this hard clear case I got when I had my A17. Also, see this post from earlier in this thread for ways to make your experience better. At least read through the top part. The rest is optional but suggested. 

IF you feel the Walkman you get isn't loud enough (some do, some don't), then let me know and I'll suggest a good portable amp too.

Great ! thank you sir, I just need something that is small and light as ipod nano but better sound quality. I will try A17 or A20 !
Thanks !

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #415 of 471

Great ! thank you sir, I just need something that is small and light as ipod nano but better sound quality. I will try A17 or A20 !
Thanks !

You're very welcome! 

Yeah, I'm pretty confident the sound quality on the A17 or A20-series Walkmans will outdo the iPod Nano. Case in point............I initially bought the $200 iBasso DX50 and compared it against my former Sony Xperia Z3 phone. In terms of sound quality, the Z3 actually MATCHED the DX50, so that went back. I decided to test the limits of my Z3 by seeing if spending $300 on a device would make any difference or not, so I chose the A17. ESPECIALLY after applying the changes mentioned in that earlier post I just sent you (I'd suggest bookmarking that post btw), I most certainly noticed a difference. And so I kept the A17 for SEVERAL months and enjoyed it immensely. It was only when I made the personal choice that I'd rather just play from my phone that I sold it and then bought the Oppo HA-2 to take over the premium amp/DAC duties. But that doesn't change the fact that the Sony Walkmans are great players!

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #416 of 471

Thanks !

You're very welcome! 

Yeah, I'm pretty confident the sound quality on the A17 or A20-series Walkmans will outdo the iPod Nano. Case in point............I initially bought the $200 iBasso DX50 and compared it against my former Sony Xperia Z3 phone. In terms of sound quality, the Z3 actually MATCHED the DX50, so that went back. I decided to test the limits of my Z3 by seeing if spending $300 on a device would make any difference or not, so I chose the A17. ESPECIALLY after applying the changes mentioned in that earlier post I just sent you (I'd suggest bookmarking that post btw), I most certainly noticed a difference. And so I kept the A17 for SEVERAL months and enjoyed it immensely. It was only when I made the personal choice that I'd rather just play from my phone that I sold it and then bought the Oppo HA-2 to take over the premium amp/DAC duties. But that doesn't change the fact that the Sony Walkmans are great players!

A ' killer app' for the Sony players is Apt-x BT. Wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #417 of 471
A ' killer app' for the Sony players is Apt-x BT. Wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hi Kelly, 

Yeah and I believe they all come with Apt-X too.

Actually what's arguably better is the Sony-made LDAC BT codec, which all the Walkmans have (the A17 will have it the minute you update it, the rest come with it). It transmits BT streams at TRIPLE the bandwidth of regular BT. It works BEST if you have Sony LDAC-compatible headphones (or speakers) connected to it, but I've read that even if you don't it still sounds better than regular BT streaming does. Someone should compare the 2 on either type of headphones and let us know what they think. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #418 of 471

Thanks !

Also, please let us know what you got and what you thought of it after you've had some time to listen to it. I recommend buying AT LEAST 1-2 Hi-Res albums and testing them out on the Walkman to see what it can REALLY do. (See that post again for all the details there.) 

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #419 of 471

Hi Kelly, 

Yeah and I believe they all come with Apt-X too.

Actually what's arguably better is the Sony-made LDAC BT codec, which all the Walkmans have (the A17 will have it the minute you update it, the rest come with it). It transmits BT streams at TRIPLE the bandwidth of regular BT. It works BEST if you have Sony LDAC-compatible headphones (or speakers) connected to it, but I've read that even if you don't it still sounds better than regular BT streaming does. Someone should compare the 2 on either type of headphones and let us know what they think. 

I'm not sure that ALL the player some equipped with Apt-X? I had a ZX2 for a while, and I'm pretty sure that didn't support Apt-X. I'm not sure about the latest Sony line-up either. I think Sony have dropped Apt-X in favour of their own LDAC, probably in order to save paying Qualcomm royalties.
As for LDAC being better than Apt-X, I don't think it is any better sounding, no matter what Sony claim. For example, my Sony DAPs connected to my B&W P7 Wireless via Apt-X sound infinitely better than the same DAPs connected to my MDR-1ABT's via LDAC. I know there is variation in the headset there to account for, but IMO Apt-X just sounds great, and 'good enough' for wireless use, especially when you use it with good kit like the P7 wireless and Chord Hugo.
Obviously Apt-X and LDAC are streets ahead in SQ compared to SBC, and even AAC.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #420 of 471
  I'm not sure that ALL the player some equipped with Apt-X? I had a ZX2 for a while, and I'm pretty sure that didn't support Apt-X. I'm not sure about the latest Sony line-up either. I think Sony have dropped Apt-X in favour of their own LDAC, probably in order to save paying Qualcomm royalties.
As for LDAC being better than Apt-X, I don't think it is any better sounding, no matter what Sony claim. For example, my Sony DAPs connected to my B&W P7 Wireless via Apt-X sound infinitely better than the same DAPs connected to my MDR-1ABT's via LDAC. I know there is variation in the headset there to account for, but IMO Apt-X just sounds great, and 'good enough' for wireless use, especially when you use it with good kit like the P7 wireless and Chord Hugo.
Obviously Apt-X and LDAC are streets ahead in SQ compared to SBC, and even AAC.

kelly, 

Really? I'm surprised. I figured if it had LDAC it prob had Apt-X too. I could've sworn my A17 had Apt-X on it though, but not sure now? I really didn't use it as I'm a wired guy. 

Yeah, I mean,  I never tested it vs. Apt-X, but to me all wireless is inferior to wired. I even had the Celsus Sound Companion One about a year ago. It was like the first ever PORTABLE amp/DAC to offer Wi-Fi INSTEAD OF Bluetooth options. Wi-Fi is said to have 13 times the bandwidth of regular BT. So I tried it out............it was very hard to tell the difference, until I came upon one Zeppelin track called "Tea For One". In the intro, the drummer (the legendary John Bonham!) plays this awesome bass drum part (you can hear specifically at like 0:07 and 0:10). On a wired listen, I could hear a DEEP low rumble at the end of each time he'd hit the bass drum, but on a Wi-Fi listen, the rumble was basically gone. My point here is that yeah, even with 13 times more bandwidth than BT, it still was lacking.......and so your point of there not being a difference is prob true. lol 

Really? ok. I've read though that the sound quality of the 1ABT is not that great anyway (the 1A, which I used to own, is better). But it's likely that the BT versions play a hand there too. 

Yeah, they most likely are ahead of those two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back