Sony Walkman Flash players confirmed
Apr 5, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

remember..Sony=Sonic Stage

Sony=root kit..

Aha but you're wrong there... Sony has actually got off their ass and sonic stage is actually a pretty nice piece of software to work with. Just in time for the new minidisc player... It's actually pretty damned comparable to itunes now.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Wasn't there a lawsuit about the Rootkit stuff? IIRC, they just had to release a patch and a gift certificate to their store. Something like that.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade
there's still the rootkit thing...what's to stop them from imbedding rootkits in the Sonic stage software?

This whole root kit mantra really gets on my nerves.

The root kit fiasco was caused by Sony BMG buying a copy protection system for CDs from a third party. Sony BMG certainly did not commission the third party to compromise buyer's computers with root kits. It was a spectacular **** up, but there was no intention to create backdoors for hackers to exploit.

So, on the basis that Sony were on the receiving end of a massive public image **** storm for unknowingly distributing root kits why on earth would they put root kits in SonicStage?

The wisdom of copy protecting CDs in the first place is questionable, but many other record companies are equally guilty of that practice.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Aha but you're wrong there... Sony has actually got off their ass and sonic stage is actually a pretty nice piece of software to work with. Just in time for the new minidisc player... It's actually pretty damned comparable to itunes now.

Excuse me while I go and laugh hysterically in the corner. I will grant that it is now idiot proof in a way iTunes isn't and holds the neophytes hand better.

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 16
It is a lot better, but I'd still take the much quicker, simple MP3 file manager program over it anyday. Still, SS3.4's got a nice level of customisation (Album art, background etc) to it, and it no longer hangs up when attempting to do... well anything. Still, I'd rather not use it if I had the choice. The new players look cute sure, but they aren't a huge difference over what Sony have out right now.

EDIT: Woot, 200th Post! \m/

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
It's not going to work with iTunes, is it? If Sony locks it into the Windows DRM scheme, it's not going anywhere.

fwiw, any non-ipod players will not work with itunes either. itunes is also a drm software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back