Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb 249.99 straight
Jun 25, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #106 of 137
does anyone know if you can charge the Vaio with the USB port that is on the back of the dock?

I want to build an external battery pack and it would be much easeir if all I had to do was make a USB pack instead of one with a dc connector on it.

thanks,
c

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #107 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcheese321
does anyone know if you can charge the Vaio with the USB port that is on the back of the dock?

I want to build an external battery pack and it would be much easeir if all I had to do was make a USB pack instead of one with a dc connector on it.

thanks,
c

It doesn't charge through usb, only dc.

And as an update, I'm really liking this player so far. The UI had me a little frustrated at first, because I really didn't understand how it worked. I thought it was like a laptop touchpad, but it's slighly different. Now that I understand it, navigation is a breeze.

The screen is gorgeous and I like the that it displays all of my album art. Very cool. The unit itself is very well built, and it oozes quality. While it is slightly larger than an ipod photo, it's a lot more sleek than it can look in pictures. I think it looks better than my old 3G ipod (which I think looks better than the 4G's).

While there is no gapless play for mp3's, the transition from song to song is much quicker than my old ipod. Sound quality is nice, very full and fun sounding. I haven't noticed any distortion at all with EQ, unlike my 3g ipod.

The player definetly is not as loud as my old ipod. Not an issue for me though. It goes plenty loud, just not to those ear bleeding levels. I never could listen to my old ipod at full volume even breifly before, unless I wanted to have my eardrums explode. However, if you use high impedance phones, the vaio pocket might have a hard time driving them (while not power hungry phones, it drives my CD3000's just fine though).

Battery life is at least double that of my 3G ipod. I'd say 15-20 hours is a reasonable expectation. Ive been listening for about 4 hours (with alot of navigating and changing tracks while listing at about 75-85% volume) and I have 75% battery life left.

So far, I'm loving this player. For the prices it's going for, it's an absolute steal. I'm very happy that I stumbled upon this thread.
biggrin.gif

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask any questions if you want.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #108 of 137
thanks for the response.

I guess i will just have to build a dc battery convertor - it isn't that hard, just more time consuming.

I had mine shipped via FedEx ground, so I'm still waiting for mine to come in, hopefully it will be here on Monday or Tuesday and I can play with it.

c

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #110 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
anyone have problems getting the coupon code to work? i also didnt receive an email for the 45 free downloads either. has anyone received it yet?

You followed what it said?

I authorized my HD3 on a sunday and got the email the next day (monday).
Maybe you should call them if you don't get it soon (although mine said the offer ends in august or something)...

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #111 of 137
Where is it that you are supposed to get free downloads? I bought one the from ecost the other day, but I´m in Spain now and my credit card didn´t authorize the purchase, and now they are sold out. All my other purchases have gone through though, sucks. Anyway, now I´m buying it from buy.com. They have 7 left now, they had 9 five minutes ago.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #113 of 137
Can anyone give me some insight on this player and the IHP-120. I really love the IHP-120, and wonder if I should go for this. 40 Gig for 239 dollars is a bargain. If it is still available after tomorrow's, I will pick it up. I wish the Viao does need to dock to work as external HD. I really wonder how good the new generation iRiver will be?

Purk

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #114 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Can anyone give me some insight on this player and the IHP-120. I really love the IHP-120, and wonder if I should go for this. 40 Gig for 239 dollars is a bargain. If it is still available after tomorrow's, I will pick it up. I wish the Viao does need to dock to work as external HD. I really wonder how good the new generation iRiver will be?

Purk

Go for it! For the price, you can't go wrong. I'm very satisfied with my unit.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #115 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk

Purk

Yes, you need the dock for it to be a mass storage HD - the USB ports are only on the dock.

I've had my Vaio Pocket for over six months now and many times in this forum I have sung its praises. I only wish I paid under $300 like everyone here is now
smily_headphones1.gif
Is it the perfect DAP? No, but I do not know what is perfect. This is pretty close for me.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #118 of 137
okay, that is good to know.

The line out can only be used with the dock plugged into power, correct?

I'm going to have to wait to get my new headphones before I figure out if I'm going to be building an external battery pack for this thing so that I can use the line out + cmoy + shure e4.

c

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #120 of 137
I just bought it. Hopefully it will bow me over!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back