Sony V6 or Grado SR-60? Hmmm???
Jul 1, 2003 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
Considering these are both in the same price class, and the only difference is one being open, and the other closed, which would you recommend. Listen to some Hip-Hop and Jazz. A litte Pink Floyd here and there, too. Which would be the better value? Especially playing from a portable un-amped source.

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 14
Sound quality is not always an absolute. It's dependent on where you'll be using it. There's no point having excellent sound quality if you can't hear it properly, like the SR60.

The V6 trails the SR60 in quality (or relative smoothness) a little, but the V6 has a punchier sound... And of course the V6 is closed.

At US prices the V6 is much better value as an unamped portable phone.

Jul 2, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 14
If these are the only two phones you want to consider, if you'll be running around outside and whatnot, the V6. Otherwise, the SR60s, or just about any other Grado headphone, will produce sound at a higher level of quality.

Jul 2, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 14
If you want music, get the SR-60, if you need monster bass and isolation, get the V-6, simple as that.
-Mag

Jul 2, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 14
I'll chime in with the V6 recommendation. I use mine a lot portably from a minidisc player and they work great for that purpose.

Jul 2, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Ha! Just to keep things going, I'll recommend the SR60s! Better sound and the idea that they don't work out of a portable is nonsense!
280smile.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 14
For true portable use (like out and about), I have to recommend the V6's (though it pains me to do so).

If you are just going to be driving them out of a portable, and will mostly be in a quiet place, like home or work, I recommend the SR60s.

In this case, the closed vs open argument should take precedence over the sound quality question, since being out and about would negate the advantage of the grado sound. The question you have to ask is "Where will I be using these cans?"

BPRJam

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 14
I'll go for the V6, They don't leak sound as much as the SR60. Like you said its for portable use, using the Sr60 in trains or buses might annoy those sitting next to you. worst, during bedtime when your wife or partner is sleeping next to you, they can sing along with you without putting on the sr60.

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 14
I'll probably be using them with my laptop and rio mp3 player. Will be using both devices at home and school, sometimes in library, sometimes in room alone, sometimes with roommate in room. I'm leaning towards the v6, but one question, How would you describe the v6's highs, how does it handle/present piano/flute melodies and such?

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 14
The V6 highs won't grate unamped, but they are a bit... high. A bit on the harsh side although the sound information is there for the listening. It's something you'll have to try and see. V6's aren't that hard to sell on I think, so even if you hate them it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back