Sony V6 + Koss KSC-35 in San Francisco
Mar 15, 2002 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

barleytea

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for either of these headphones in San Francisco, not the Bay Area, since I do not have a car. I was pointed to Eber Audio near Market & Castro but I have not checked it out yet. Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find either a Koss KSC-35 or a Sony V6 in the city, or within walking distance to BART stops in the Bay Area? I've already checked the Circuit City and Good Guys on Van Ness. They do not have them. They do have the V600 and I was able to try on the V600 at the Good Guys. Is it similar in fit to the V6? V600 is circumaural to me...wondering if V6 would be.

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 18
Barleytea

Welcome to Head-Fi. If you can find a Fry's Electronics, they stock the MDR-V6's, but they sell them at MSRP of $79.95. I don't know where there is a Fry's in The City.

Mar 15, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Barleytea

Welcome to Head-Fi. If you can find a Fry's Electronics, they stock the MDR-V6's, but they sell them at MSRP of $79.95. I don't know where there is a Fry's in The City.

If you have an Amex Blue Card, you can pay the $79.95, then price match them with Etronics and get a refund check from Amex for the difference.

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Been there, tried that. Fry's doesn't accept amex
mad.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 18
Suprised no one mentioned it yet, but you DO NOT want the v600.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure if you mentioned them because you were considering buying them or just as a reference point for the fit of the v6.

I assume there's some reason why you can't buy them online?

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 18
Problem is I have no means to go to Fry's. The closest one to me is the Palo Alto store... I do not want the V600, just using it a reference to the fit of V6. I find the V600 circumaural. Currently I have a MDR-V100 which crushes my ear so comfort and fit is quite important to me. If V6 fit me similarly to V600, circumaural or close, then I think I would go ahead and buy online.

I want to make sure that I do not buy another headphone that causes discomfort....

Mar 15, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by pinkchry
Been there, tried that. Fry's doesn't accept amex
mad.gif

I hate that. I always voice my displeasure when a retailer tells me they don't accept Amex. I tell them that from now on I will take my business elsewhere.

Doesn't help, but it makes me feel better.

Oh yeah, the V6 do not fit at all like the V600. Very diferent. I have both. The V600 are in a bag in the closet. Maybe I'll put them on Ebay.

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by indybrett

I hate that. I always voice my displeasure when a retailer tells me they don't accept Amex. I tell them that from now on I will take my business elsewhere.

There are a lot of vendors out there who do not take Amex. If you ever talked to a small shop owner about credit card companies, they can complain about them for hours. I try not blame the vendors for not accepting certain cards because most of them would be more than happy to do business with you if it wasn't for the unreasonable business practices associated with many credit card companies.

Livinig in Bay Area is frustrating without a car. I do not remember seeing the V6's sold in the Palo Alto Fry's. I have seen them at the Sunnyvale and Brokaw Fry's. The sunnyvale and Brokaw ones do have a sony headphone demo stand too. What you can do is go back to Good Guys or Circuit City and ask them if they can use the computer to check the stock at other branches. Sometimes they can transport the product to your local store from antother store (however they wouldn't do that for me last time).

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing

If you ever talked to a small shop owner about credit card companies, they can complain about them for hours.

Yep. I have had that conversation before. I can accept it with the smaller shops, but not with the large retailers.

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 18
pedxing: Tell me about the inconvenience of not having a car. However, being an umemployed new college grad I cannot do anything about it right now.

Back to the V6 discussion, I'd like to find out if it is CIRCUMAURAL to me if the V600 is circumaural for me... Indybrett can you tell me more about the fit?

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Is there any reason why you won't buy them online? Etronics.com has em pretty cheap.

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 18
I think he's planning to buy online, but wants to try them on first so he knows they won't be uncomfortable.

barleytea - if it helps, you can always order the beyer pads, which I hear make them circumaural for just about everyone (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 18
i found them to be ok with the stock pads, sometimes they pressed a little too much (due to the fact that i wear glasses). Otherwise they felt fine (sweaty ears in the summer though), with the beyer pads the comfort is excellent, you can buy them directly from beyerdynamic, the velour pads run for $22 and are worth it.

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by barleytea
Indybrett can you tell me more about the fit?

The V600 are completely circumaural for me, but they feel bulky, and rather warm after awhile.

The V6 are NOT circumaural for me, but I don't mind that. If you do, you might want to find a pair to try on first.

They are light, not too tight, and they don't get too warm like the V600. They would make a good headphone for portable use.

My only complaint is that the band adjustments don't stay put. I always have to fiddle with them before I put them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back