Sony stops production of anti-piracy CD's
Nov 13, 2005 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tgunner

Head-Fier
See Here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4430608.stm

They should never have been made in the first place!
plainface.gif
plainface.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 20
I heard about this, and needless to say I'm happy about it. Sony should never have pulled this crap, and I hope it serves as a slap in the face to all the companies that try pushing copy protection at the expense of the people that put the money in the pockets of said companies in the first place. It's like biting the hand that feeds, and Sony should pay for it, no doubt. Actually, I'd like to see more of this, companies that push the crap getting what they deserve for it.

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 20
Makes me wonder what else they're doing that they haven't been caught at yet. No Sony products for me for a while.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Makes me wonder what else they're doing that they haven't been caught at yet. No Sony products for me for a while.
evil_smiley.gif

Hehe, true dat
biggrin.gif
And yeah, I'm kind of boycotting Sony too, although I suddenly find myself wanting to get a preowned PSP loaded with homebrew goodness(I'm assuming Sony won't make any money off me if I buy used?). However, I do still like their SA series of headphones, even if my tastes have "Sennheisered" as of late...
580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I heard about this, and needless to say I'm happy about it. Sony should never have pulled this crap, and I hope it serves as a slap in the face to all the companies that try pushing copy protection at the expense of the people that put the money in the pockets of said companies in the first place. It's like biting the hand that feeds, and Sony should pay for it, no doubt. Actually, I'd like to see more of this, companies that push the crap getting what they deserve for it.

Your comments pretty much echo my own sentiments on this. And yes,Sony will more than likely lose one (or more) of the inevitable class-action suits regarding their "Music and stealth software" combo. Not to mention tens of millions in lost sales as more consumers learn of this fraud.
Rootkits are one of the most onerous forms of malware,and the code for the Sony/BMG variant can easily (by some,at least) be modified to inject many forms of viri -which will escape almost any (commercially available) AV or spyware scan.
Several other rootkit detection programs are available,so I suggest those interested just Google and check.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Besides fines we should not buy their products.

Yeah, let's not buy another Sony TV, alarm clock, floppy drive, etc because their record label arm screwed up. That makes sense.
blink.gif

I am hoping Sony BMG will end up paying huge fines over this and I would go even further to saying that they should not be allowed to print CDs for at least 3 months. That would really hurt and would send a clear message to other record labels.

As far as I'm concerned, it is illegal to install software without the PC owner's consent and a breach of personal rights. I couldn't care less if their intentions weren't malicious.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Their content protection initiative is still there. They're just in CYA mode for a bit. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominode
Your comments pretty much echo my own sentiments on this. And yes,Sony will more than likely lose one (or more) of the inevitable class-action suits regarding their "Music and stealth software" combo. Not to mention tens of millions in lost sales as more consumers learn of this fraud.

Do other countries have Class-action suits, or are we Yanks the only country to rely on this back-door policing of corporate atrocities?

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 20
Just in case some Sony marketing moron does a summary findings of customer response by scouring forums on the Internet, I have included this small announcement.

I hope Sony pays hell through dozens of different law suits in various countries for the discs they were able to ship with this "copy protection scheme".

Really, nobody is dumb enough to do something like that 'accidentally'.

They did it on purpose, wilfully and knowing that they were (in several countries, don't know about the USA) in direct violation of law by installing a rootkit on the computer (EULAs have no legal effect in most European countries, they are NOT an excuse and definitely not a legal defense).

I hope they have to pay millions and millions in damages.

Hurting your paying customers like this is just brain dead.

The company is now on my personal boycott list. I just cancelled my order for Sony VPL-VW100 projector, because of this stunt by theirs.

There's plenty of competition in the projector arena for me to choose from. I don't have to support companies that screwn their customers.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 20
I too am boycotting Sony. Albeit, I didn't have anything Sony that I wanted to buy in the first place (although I was considering MDR7506 and their HD mp3 player).

Nov 14, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 20
I'm afraid Sony backing up doesn't mean anything. This is just the beginning - the beginning of the end of CD, that is. The industry is desperate and will get DRM one way or another. Applying these kludge-type DRM manipulations to "CDs" they eventually kill the format on purpose or not.

What do you guys think, when will we have a format that has enough DRM to keep the industry happy while not sacrificing playback? Was SACD the answer - just before it became extinct?

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 20
No more SONY BALONEY!!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back