Sony SRF-S84 Pocket Radio: Wow!
Feb 2, 2003 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
My dad returned from a business trip in Japan, and brought back a Sony SRF-S84 portable radio for me! Quite the rare event.

Anyway, what's even more shocking is its sound! Wow! I've never heard FM sound so pleasing! It powers my KSC-35's with ease. Why don't the new Sony PCDPs have nice sounding headphone jacks like these? Anyway, from a quick comparison between my old Sansui tuner with stock CMOY and this little thing, I found the big setup to have superior extention in the frequency extremes, but this little pocket radio does midrange so damn well! Very detailed, very engaging sound. Most fun I've ever had listening to the radio. Oh and it has such incredible sensitivity! I beleive radio expert Mike Walker was raving about the sensitivity on Sony pocket radios a little while ago. Very low noise floor, incredible from such a tiny little thing! It's only about 1x2.5x0.5 inches.

Man, I'm sitting here with this radio and KSC-35's with a really dumb smile on my face. I can't wait to mod this thing!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 29
I must admit to having similar feelings when I first heard my SRF-M95 last weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

How well does the analog thumbwheel lock onto FM stations? I know that Analog is ultimately better for sound quality, but I bought the PLL tuner just so that it would be locked onto a station, correctly... and wouldn't drift off...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 29
It does drift, the s84. Not by much, but...
-And AM is useless on the s84.

Feb 5, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 29
Are there any AM radios worth a crap? I haven't managed to fix the radio linem, does FM nice though
smily_headphones1.gif
I seem to be plagued with not being able to get a decent AM radio
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 29
He he...

Sorry, but that is kind of funny. For a long time all I could get was AM, FM sounded cronical overloaded. Like when you put your FM radio too close to other electronic equipment. AM always went thru nicely. I mainly tuned to stations 500 miles + on it and it performed on par with other pocketradios. Local AM is non-existent here.

Some people say the DT-200W (I think it was called) from Sangean is the best AM portable, but FM should be below average. The best all round portable I have had is the Sony SRF-T615 which I bought to replace the DT-110 and sold to get the fixup s84.

I'm currently looking into the old school sony walkman radios (1980-1982). They are build like tanks, have great power hungry amps and is supposed to have great reception.

The Sony SRF-M95 is also worth a try, good reception on both AM and FM, but the build quality really sucks, like something you get in a happymeal

Feb 5, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by linnem
The Sony SRF-M95 is also worth a try, good reception on both AM and FM, but the build quality really sucks, like something you get in a happymeal

Well, I was very happy when I bought the unit...

Cost 20 times more than a happy meal though... hmm, what'd I rather have had?
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 29
Sorry, did not intend to bash your radio, I kind of like it too. But it is build like ****...

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Sorry, did not intend to bash your radio, I kind of like it too. But it is build like ****...

lol...

Sorry linnem, I was trying to crack a joke, about the happy meals..

Guess it didn't work though
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 29
My mistake, apparently I have no sense of humor today...
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 29
linnem:
Remember that S84 fixup modified portable radio you sold me? Well it got stolen at work recently
mad.gif
this really sucks.

It sounds fantastic for such a dinky little thing even out of my MX-400 (which was stolen together). The sound in normal setting was as if Megabass was switched on but without sounding muddied.

One thing I didn't like was the way the tuning wheel is geared which made it easy to miss a station. Comparatively is the sound quality of the M95 better than the S84? I like the idea of preset digital tuning. What would you recommend besides this?

Mar 14, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 29
Hi!

Bad bad luck...

Check out my new post in "for sale". The srf-40w rocks like NOTHING else. But I really like the m95 and t615 too : )

Mar 14, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 29
m95 and t615

You can get these at audiocubes in the world model.

I have to agree on the s84 tuning, it really sucks big time.

Mar 14, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

It does drift, the s84. Not by much, but...
-And AM is useless on the s84.

I disagree. I love AM talk radio. I almost can't go to sleep unless I'm lying in bed with my Fixup S84 and MX500s. Joey Reynolds always puts me to sleep.
biggrin.gif
I have very little problem with the tuning although a digital tuner would probably be more convenient. By the way, I live right outside of New York City where even college radio stations like WFUV have very strong transmitters.

I think the S84 is pretty amazing. I'd love to compare my modified Fixup with a stock one. I agree that the FM sound is really good. I'd rather listen to FM through the S84 than my home receiver, which admittedly is not that great.

Mar 15, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 29
linnem sold me a T615 and all i can say is Damn it's good. It's really small first of all but has many many features including a jog dial contoller and strong output. It gets great reception even at work, and I work on the 10th floor of a building surrounding by computers. If can't imagine a better portable digital radio.

Mar 17, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #15 of 29
to clarify on the s84 AM capability. Here in Norway it is useless. I have one loca AM station (50 km+). All other stations I listen to is at least 500 km away, many 100+ so even small variations in reception quality bec0omes very evident. An the s84 just dont cut it, but some one who uses it in the states with lots of strong local stations might not see it as a problem.
Among all my portable radios the s84 ranks last on AM, but good on FM althougt it's hyper sensitivity sometimes works against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back