Sony SRF-S84 Pocket Radio: Wow!
Mar 17, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 29
Omg, now I want a radio...
biggrin.gif

Does the T615 beep when you press the buttons, or is it beep-free?

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 29
no it beeps, fairly loud too. every time i press a radio preset button BEEEP through the headphone jack. maybe you can turn it, not sure, I havn't messed with the options much.

May 4, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 29
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just did the Fixup mods to my SRF-S84, and the bass has become far deeper and more impactful... wow.

May 4, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Pocket Radio from Japan eh?!? So it must have AM Stereo right? Does it even work here in North America? Just wondering...

For one thing, the RDS radios don't work here in Canada I think... you know the ones with a scrolling text ticker on the radio...

I use an old '84 Aiwa CR-05 credit card size radio, and yes it's amazing how good it sounds... uses 2 AAA batteries and thumb wheel tuning, but really stiff dial... hehe

May 5, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 29
Nah, no stereo AM (I didn't even know that existed!).

The AM reception sucks on this, though. I use it exclusively for FM.

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 29
I had ordered this from Fixup.net (Dr. Xin) about a week ago, and in the mean time, dug out some of my older SRF-39 and SRF-M70 Sony FM headset radios. I also picked up the SRF-M35 on ebay for a couple bucks as Xin's top digital recommendation.

I had thought that the Xin modified SRF-S84 would not cut the mustard during my reslisten to these others and the recommended SRF-M35. Pleased to say I was wrong. The Xin SRF-S84 is truly an amazing little piece of engineering. The sound is leagues ahead of all these following Xin modification, and this is more than an aboslute silent background (no hiss) when connected to a medium or good FM signal. Balanced sound quality centered on midrange -very 'warm'. More bass than needed is available with the 'megabass' switch, which to my total amazement made the included MDR-E806 Sony earbuds sound quite good (they are a large diameter unpadded on-ear bud). These will actually work quite well for many trips where loss and durability are issues (I've been trying buds like this for years, and thrown away dozens).

If I flip off the 'megabass', the included Sony buds loose adquate bass. Pluggin in Sharp's HP-MD33S canalphones, a balanced tight bass is restored (see my simpler reversible dampening modification in DigDubs Sharp MD33 mod thread
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=sharp).

Although Xin indicates the older unmodified digital SRF-M35 radio sounds good, I would say that it does not relative to his shipping SRF-S84. The lack of digital is only a very minor annoyance, and is well worth the drop in size even for less discerning ears.

Good thing I ordered 2 S84 radios. ($59.99 ea). Good show Xin, I don't think readers will be disapointed either.

Sydsfloyd67

[size=xx-small]-Frontier Labs NexII (Nex2-00), Rio Sonic Blue, cMoy-BrnOpa2, KSC35, KSC55, Koss GT-5, Sharp MD332, thePlug, SRDF -S84, 39, M35, M70[/size]

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 29
For decent AM in a small package you pretty much need an internal ferrite rod antenna. This makes the body of the radio directional, which might seem like a pain but is actually pretty cool for nulling out interference from electric motors when you're on the train. Do any of these radios have that?

As far as FM sensitivity, I always used to have the opposite problem of insufficient selectivity, resulting in all kinds of splatter as my station of choice got blasted out by a powerful nearby transmitter. Some radios used to have local/distance switches for this problem but they never seemed to make any difference.

The other common problem with these types of radios is hiss through the headphones even with the volume on zero. Maybe the 60 ohm KSC-35's keep the hiss in check or the S84 is hiss free(?) Edit: OK, if it produces a silent background with the MDR-E806 then it must be hiss-free, 'cos those 'buds are brighter than Colgate.
icon10.gif
I use an impeder with my walkman to zap the hiss.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-curve
For decent AM in a small package you pretty much need an internal ferrite rod antenna. This makes the body of the radio directional, which might seem like a pain but is actually pretty cool for nulling out interference from electric motors when you're on the train. Do any of these radios have that?

I can't be sure, but the SRF-84 reception does vary as you change the orientation of the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back