Sony SCD-XA5400ES
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seacard, that's great info. Can you give me some advice? I currently have a new Denon D5000 headphone attached to a decade-old DVD player though its headphone-output. I'm thinking of either: (1) keeping the DVD player and getting a Benchmark DAC-1 for $995; or (2) getting the Sony XA5400ES (or other sub-$1500 player). In either case, I would pipe the output to a Woo Audio 6 headphone amp. If I get the SACD player, I would probably buy no more than a handful of SACDs, if any.

What do think is the better route? How do you compare the Benchmark DAC1 to the XS5400ES?

I think there are a lot of moving parts there. More importantly, we all have different ears / biases. If you only listen to CDs/SACDs, I think I'd go with a CD player like the Sony over the Benchmark. If you think you may eventually get into computer or server based systems, I'd go with the Benchmark.

Also, I am in the objectivist / Audio Critic camp, so I truly believe that the DAC1 is a "perfect" DAC. But you may like another DAC better because you find its "imperfections" more pleasing to your ear.

I think the Benchmark is a little more forward-sounding, a little more aggressive, and a tad leaner/brighter. Some people think that's natural and how music actually sounds. Some people think it's thin, or too bright, or too edgy. The nice thing is that you can demo the Benchmark for 30 days and return it if you don't like it. Same with Sony (if you buy from Sony Style).

May 18, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 23
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 23
One thing I wish this play had was a digital input for PC audio.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 23
I recently purchased a second hand SCD-XA5400ES with the Modwright Ultimate Truth Mod. The unit came with two spare transports. Are there any other replacement parts that I should be stockpiling while they're still available?

Also, what's the deal with the new units from Japan that are being sold on eBay? Do these require a voltage converter to work in the US? Are they covered by the Sony warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back