Sony SA5000 response plots
Apr 23, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #31 of 207
I am really curious to see what difference burn-in makes to these graphs. I've been burning in my 5ks practically nonstop all week (they now have over 150 hours), and they do seem to be better now. When I first got them some albums were simply too irritating to listen to. (don't get me wrong, most good recordings were awesome) Now they seem to be more musical and less harsh on the high end. I'm going to back to some of the albums I set aside, and they seem far more enjoyable.

I also orginally noticed some strange control loss in the midrange during really fast sequences and that seems to have improved quite a bit, though I haven't listened enough to be certain. I wonder if anyone else experienced this because I haven't seen comments about it. I know that at least some of it was in the recording/mastering, but the 5ks were emphasizing it so much that it contrasted big-time with the other aspects and the speed that should have been there.

Apr 23, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #32 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
This makes me even more interested in getting some sa1000's, if they sound anywhere near as good as those sa5000's. Any comparison on that end?

icon10.gif
Abe

sa1000 has an even sharper peak at 2.5k according to my ears but it did calm down after 100+ hours. sa5000 provides an overall fuller sound, especially noticeable in bass and mids. sa1000 sounded fine by itself but mids sounded very thin when compared to sa5000. Still, sa1000 is a very good bargain at $100 and you're getting at least 50% of sa5000.

Apr 23, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #33 of 207
I am very interested in plots like these for the Qualia headphones. Is there a link you could give that gives information on what hardware/software you need to do such a thing?

I'd really prefer if Headroom added charts for some of the newer headphones, since they already have data on many, many headphones and seem to have a consistent testing environment (so you can reliably compare the response of many types of headphones). I wonder if anyone there has considered picking up some of the new Sony headphones (and a Qualia) for R&D purposes (to make sure they work well with their amps, etc.).

Apr 23, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #34 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
sa1000 has an even sharper peak at 2.5k according to my ears but it did calm down after 100+ hours. sa5000 provides an overall fuller sound, especially noticeable in bass and mids. sa1000 sounded fine by itself but mids sounded very thin when compared to sa5000. Still, sa1000 is a very good bargain at $100 and you're getting at least 50% of sa5000.

Not bad, considering that the SA5000 is like 400-500 at least. Perhaps I should propose a trade in the FS/T forums for my SR125's(they are worth about the same if I'm not mistaken), if that would generate any interest? (Or just sell my SR125's then buy the SA1000 on Amazon?)
Any thoughts on the SA1000 to the CD3000?

An SA smiley would be good when I get mine
biggrin.gif
Abe

Apr 24, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #36 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Not bad, considering that the SA5000 is like 400-500 at least. Perhaps I should propose a trade in the FS/T forums for my SR125's(they are worth about the same if I'm not mistaken), if that would generate any interest? (Or just sell my SR125's then buy the SA1000 on Amazon?)
Any thoughts on the SA1000 to the CD3000?

An SA smiley would be good when I get mine
biggrin.gif
Abe

i got the cd3000 and the sa 5000,for pop,i more like cd3000, it is smelled more musical.
but for the bass and more hiend, only the sa5000 could do

oh, my poor English

geekay
eggosmile.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #38 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
But no headphone is /perfect and that's why you have to have multiple of them.
biggrin.gif

No headphone is perfect, I agree on that.....but I do not agree that you need to have a bunch of them, or multiple setups to complement one with the other, I don't think that this is possible, once you change, you will miss another thing of the prior one, OTOH if you need multiple setups to have all what you like, that means that non of them is right, then, two or three or four wrongs, don't make a right......

OTOH, as usual, in my case, just having the CD3000 around is more than enough, I do not need any other, honestly...non of the ones I have heard to the date, will give me more pleasure...It is not perfect, of course, but non of the rest will be more to my liking that this one... As many members, I tried the SA5000 looking for the Nirvana, and after some good suggestions and again we fall on the same trap....(except for the R-10, which I do not own, and don't think I will never do, and if for any reason I manage to get one, then I do not need the CD3000 anymore)....
evil_smiley.gif

IMO, if one headphone is good enough, it should be in any recording, and for any genre of music played, sound is sound, and period, what is good playing sound, will be with any sound...

For the ones looking for flat responses on headphones, remember that this is not the way to go, don't forget the biophonic curves:

biphonic.gif

Those are based on human measuments, and on real studies, IIRC is the result of the freq resonances of the human hearing canal or cavity, and you will hear, with a flat curve, some peaks that you have to consider.....

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #40 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
No headphone is perfect, I agree on that.....but I do not agree that you need to have a bunch of them, or multiple setups to complement one with the other, I don't think that this is possible, once you change, you will miss another thing of the prior one, OTOH if you need multiple setups to have all what you like, that means that non of them is right, then, two or three or four wrongs, don't make a right......

I'm glad you're happy with just your CD3000's. For me the SA5000s have helped reinforce that I will probably always have at least a couple decent cans. Currently: Serious listening/enjoyment (SA5000), General computer (HD595), Movie/console (A700).

I don't miss one when listening to the other, at least not enough to care. I enjoy each for their intended purpose, and they provide different experiences. I like that variety.

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #42 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
What is this OTOH you use so often?
confused.gif

On The Other Hand....

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #43 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I do not agree that you need to have a bunch of them, or multiple setups to complement one with the other, I don't think that this is possible, once you change, you will miss another thing of the prior one, OTOH if you need multiple setups to have all what you like, that means that non of them is right, then, two or three or four wrongs, don't make a right......

I don't miss much going from one of my headphones to the others. There's nothing wrong with them. They are all right to me
biggrin.gif
Somedays you want one thing, other days another.

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
I enjoy each for their intended purpose, and they provide different experiences. I like that variety.

IMO the only "intended purpose" of any headphone is to reproduce the music, or the sound, you feed into, is there any other that I'm missing???? IMO sound or music is the same from a movie, a concert, or any other different scenario....and the heapdhone should be able ot reproduce all of the them the same way, sound is sound, and music is music....period...BTW dude, there is no need of justifying to have more than one headphone to the ones that do not understand that kind of relationship with th headphones, just be happy the way you feel right for you...I have two pairs of the same headphone, for some that makes no sense, I don't care, I love them, and keep one in the bedroom, and another in the livingroom......
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #45 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I don't miss much going from one of my headphones to the others. There's nothing wrong with them. They are all right to me
biggrin.gif
Somedays you want one thing, other days another.

Well if this is the case, and that makes you feel happy, go ahead man, that is all about...to enjoy the music the way you find more appropriate for you
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Just one side note: I know that thisi s not your case, but please do not stop enjoying the music, just to follow the silliness of the "sound accuracy", in my point of view, that makes no sense at all....the music is the escence, it is all about, IMO the rest have no sense without it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back