Sony SA5000 or AKG K701?
Feb 2, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 132
Art, I have only heard the K701 for a while on my rig at a meet, but nonetheless I feel you may appreciate the thoughs of a fellow SA5000 apologist.

The K701 has the typical AKG midrange exemplified in the K501, that is very detailed and tuneful, though perhaps slightly over-sweetened compared to a more neutral transducer like the SA5K. The K701 has a bit more bass, and a bit slower bass than the SA5K, though neither to the extent of the HD650. In this regard it is a good middle-ground between the two cans for one who finds the HD650 too dark, but finds the SA5K not bass-heavy enough, and its extra speed unnecessary. The high end is not as prominent as the SA5K, though moreso than the HD650, it's probably pretty close to the DT880 (perhaps slightly softer), with very good extension and detail. The soundstage is the most noticeable difference from the SA5K, it is generally more expansive in each direction, though I found the imaging within the soundstage not quite as holographic as the SA5K.

The K701 represents a good step forward from the K501, which I feel lends itself only to chamber music, string quartets, soft jazz, or other relatively quite music. Based on what I heard, I would still pick the SA5K 100% of the time for rock, metal, electonica, etc; however the more expansive soundstage of the K701 would make me consider it as a change-of-pace for most things classical or symphonic, depending on what kind of sound I wanted. The K701 is certainly no replacement for the K1000, no matter what those crazy Austrians want to claim, as it is nowhere close in terms of imaging, detail, and dynamics.

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #47 of 132
Eh, they're okay. SA5000, that is.

I'd say they compete well in the pricerange, but they're nothing amazing or spectacular on an absolute scale, and their build quality leaves much to be desired.

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #48 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Sorry draurtherwells how are you speculating that the UE10 and Qualia 010 are also the best headphones? From reading your posts you've heard neither
confused.gif

I have read reviews, of those I trust, which lead me to believe that the Qualia 010 is better slightly than the SA5000 and that he UE10 pro, like the SA 5000, is definitely better than the ER 4S.

This makes me put the UE10 pro and Qualia 010 close to the overall quality of the SA5000, if not superior..

As far as the RS-1, I have read where the HP-2 is close to the RS-1 - some say even better. From my many years experience with the HP-2 I think the SA5000 is more natural and realistic in sound overall than the Grados.

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #50 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I have read reviews, of those I trust, which lead me to believe that the Qualia 010 is better slightly than the SA5000 and that he UE10 pro, like the SA 5000, is definitely better than the ER 4S.

This makes me put the UE10 pro and Qualia 010 close to the overall quality of the SA5000, if not superior..

As far as the RS-1, I have read where the HP-2 is close to the RS-1 - some say even better. From my many years experience with the HP-2 I think the SA5000 is more natural and realistic in sound overall than the Grados.

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #51 of 132
Jokes aside, people like him are the ones that kill what little interest I might have had in SA-5000, same goes for the OH_SO_GREAT bada hybrid amp. Admittedely, I was quite intrigued by the amp at first, but this guy keeps on glrorifying them with an unmistakably tremendous amount of bias and arrogance (
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
) that I just stopped ignoring the thread altogether. Hope you realize you are doing more harm than good if what you are trying to achieve is to get more appreciation and acceptance for your favorite gear.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #52 of 132
Quote:

I have both UE10 Pro and SA5000. I would not say UE10 Pro is superior nor is SA5000. UE10 Pro presents the music in a very balanced way from bass to the treble, but SA5000 focuses on the treble a lot more and making it into the category of bright sounding headphone, and this is extremely exciting when you listen to rock music. UE10 Pro is good, but no where near the excitement SA5000 can give me, and of course, over a long period of time, this excitement can be very fatiguing. However, in my opinion, both produces very realistic vocals, and whenever I close my eyes, I always thought the person is in front of me.

Like I recommanded before, if you have never heard SA5000 and you are NOT willing to spend extra to tune your source or amp, I think AKG K701 is a much safer choice because of its more balanced presentation. If you are willing to tune the source and amp, I would definitely recommand you get Sony SA5000. The sony sa5k can be dead harsh or produce sparkling treble depends on different source and amp. If you are also a rock fan, there is another reason you should go for Sony SA5000. It is just as addictive as a Grado RS1 when matched with rock music.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
Jokes aside, people like him are the ones that kill what little interest I might have had in SA-5000, same goes for the OH_SO_GREAT bada hybrid amp. Admittedely, I was quite intrigued by the amp at first, but this guy keeps on glrorifying them with an unmistakably tremendous amount of bias and arrogance (
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
) that I just stopped ignoring the thread altogether. Hope you realize you are doing more harm than good if what you are trying to achieve is to get more appreciation and acceptance for your favorite gear.

Yeah, I feel the same way about his posts. I generally ignore his comments now since he will make ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims about his gear. Declaring a certain piece of equipment is vastly superior to other pieces that you've never even been in the same room with, let alone heard, is just silly, not to mention dishonest, IMO.

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #54 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I have both UE10 Pro and SA5000. I would not say UE10 Pro is superior nor is SA5000. UE10 Pro presents the music in a very balanced way from bass to the treble, but SA5000 focuses on the treble a lot more and making it into the category of bright sounding headphone, and this is extremely exciting when you listen to rock music. UE10 Pro is good, but no where near the excitement SA5000 can give me, and of course, over a long period of time, this excitement can be very fatiguing. However, in my opinion, both produces very realistic vocals, and whenever I close my eyes, I always thought the person is in front of me.

Like I recommanded before, if you have never heard SA5000 and you are NOT willing to spend extra to tune your source or amp, I think AKG K701 is a much safer choice because of its more balanced presentation. If you are willing to tune the source and amp, I would definitely recommand you get Sony SA5000. The sony sa5k can be dead harsh or produce sparkling treble depends on different source and amp. If you are also a rock fan, there is another reason you should go for Sony SA5000. It is just as addictive as a Grado RS1 when matched with rock music.

Now that was really nice analysis.

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #55 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well you got me.

I made a terrible mistake in buying the Sony SA5000, Bada PH12 amp, and E5 CDP - really bad equipment that I wasted my money on. Well, misery loves company and I think others should suffer like I did. So I decided to rave about my equipment to get others to make the same mistakes I made and buy the same things.

People like you and Akwok are just too smart for me. You saw through my scheme. Whatever you do, don't get the SA5000, Bada PH12, or E5.

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #57 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaos the 5th
you really have to wait for the k701 in amerika?
in austria every big electronic shop has them in store.

It definitely seems to be easier to acquire one in Austria - but AKG is an Austrian company, isn't it.
On the other hand it is nearly impossible to get the K701 as cheap as in the US.
AKG seems to do their best to keep the price near the MSRP of 399,- EUR
mad.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #58 of 132
Quote:

Art: Well according to German reviews of many headphones, and Germans would be inclined to rate the German-made AKG high, you could argue that the SA5000 is superior to the AKG K1000.

Chisum's 6/16/04 post of German "Stereoplay" magazine test reports
Rated the Grado RS-1 ahead of the AKG K1000.

Results of headphone test in German magazine "Audio" 02/2006, posted on this forum by Superman's ears on 1/28/06, rated the SA5000 and RS-1 as both equal and better than any dynamic headphone they tested.

Conclusion: The SA5000 is better than the K1000.

Here are some results of the "Audio" 2/06 ratings (ranking by points):
===========================================
90 points = Grado RS-1
90 points = Koss ESP 950
90 points = Sony MDR-SA 5000
-------------------------------------------
85 points = Grado RS-2
80 points = Sennheiser HD 650
75 points = AKG K701
75 points = Beyerdynamic DT990
75 points = Beyerdynamic DT880
75 points = STAX SR 001 MK2
75 points = Ultimate Ears SF5 Pro
70 points = AKG K601
70 points = Philips SBC HP 1000
70 points = Shure E4C

Here are some results of the "Audio" 2/06 ratings (alphabetical order):
===========================================
AKG K171 Studio = 60 points
AKG K28 NC = 55 points
AKG K27i = 55 points
AKG K601 = 70 points
AKG K701 = 75 points
Beyerdynamic DT990 = 75 points
Beyerdynamic DT880 = 75 points
Beyerdynamic DT770 = 65 points
Beyerdynamic DTX 900 = 60 points
Bose Quiet Comfort 2 = 65 points
Bose Triport = 65 points

Grado RS-1 = 90 points
Grado RS-2 = 85 points
Koss ESP 950 = 90 points
Koss KSC75 = 45 points
Koss Porta Pro = 65 points
Philips SBC HP 1000 = 70 points
Sennheiser PX200 = 60 points
Sennheiser HD 650 = 80 points
Sennheiser HD 215 = 60 points
Sennheiser PXC 250 = 60 points
Sennheiser CX3000 = 60 points
Shure E2C = 60 points
Shure E4C = 70 points
Sony MDR-NC 11 = 60 points
Sony MDR-SA 5000 = 90 points
STAX SR 001 MK2 = 75 points
Technics RP-DH 1200 = 65 points
Ultimate Ears SF5 Pro = 75 points

This is the limit of syllogism. A cat is an animal, a dog is an animal and a mouse is an animal. Therefore a cat = dog = mouse. Headphones auditioned at different times, by different reviewers with different gear cannot be equated. Posting bizarre equations and scoring sheets like this will only confuse those who are actually looking for useful information. I don't know why you seem to believe that your words are the gospel truth and are so emphatic and closed-minded about any possibilities of an alternate hypothesis. This almost reeks of a paranoid fantasy where you're trying to look for a grand -unified theory based on newspaper clippings. At least display a little equivocation in your claims and responses to those of others.

From one who has been there, done that and bought the T-shirt, Dr. Wells I would warn you that arrogance doesn't pay. Inflammatory posts don't either. I started out with similar ideas and have been burnt badly in the past for holding some pretty interesting ideas. You may be proven right in the end but if there is noone to listen to you, what difference does it make. A simple way to settle this is a direct head-to-head comparison by yourself of the 2 cans if you are so disposed. There are places that have a risk-free trial period for these cans and it may be worthwhile to give it a shot.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #59 of 132
kartik: This is the limit of syllogism. A cat is an animal, a dog is an animal and a mouse is an animal. Therefore a cat = dog = mouse. Headphones auditioned at different times, by different reviewers with different gear cannot be equated. Posting bizarre equations and scoring sheets like this will only confuse those who are actually looking for useful information.

Art: Invalid logic denotes thought disorder on your part.

My logic is:
A cat is smaller than a dog while a mouse is smaller than a cat, therefore a mouse is smaller than a dog.

Results of one German review rated the AKG K1000 as inferior to the Grado RS-1, whicle another German review rated the SA5000 and RS-1 as both equal and better than any dynamic headphone they tested.

kartik: I don't know why you seem to believe that your words are the gospel truth and are so emphatic and closed-minded about any possibilities of an alternate hypothesis. This almost reeks of a paranoid fantasy where you're trying to look for a grand -unified theory based on newspaper clippings. At least display a little equivocation in your claims and responses to those of others.

Art: And what specifically are you referring to? Are these more conclusions from your invalid thinking processes? I ask for input from those with extensive and intensive experience with both the SA5000 and K701, and this, in and of itself, is open minded.

kartik: A simple way to settle this is a direct head-to-head comparison by yourself of the 2 cans if you are so disposed. There are places that have a risk-free trial period for these cans and it may be worthwhile to give it a shot.

Art: Yes, but you lose shipping costs both ways, and sometimes pay a restocking fee. That is why people don't try out every headphone available on a 30 day trial.

From posts so far, I am beginning to wonder whether I should order the AKG K1000 instead of the K701, and whether that would prove to be inferior to the SA5000 as the German reviews suggest. Upgrading has ben too beneficial to me, as technological advances improve sound quality.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #60 of 132
Quote:

Results of one German review rated the AKG K1000 as inferior to the Grado RS-1, whicle another German review rated the SA5000 and RS-1 as both equal and better than any dynamic headphone they tested.

Not nearly so simple.
1. Was it the same reviewer for both reviews?
2. What are the reviewers' preferences/biases? Are the reviewers experienced with headphone gear?
3. What amps, sources, cables, and other equipments were used in the review? Did he use the same amp for all the headphones? Was the k1000 adequately powered? Did he replace the k1000 stock extention cable? I doubt the answer is yes to the last two.
( there are many more factors )

I say K1000 is superior to SA5000
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back