Sony SA5000 bass question
Sep 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep on reading that the sa5000s are bassier and and more defined than the sa3000s so they should have ample bass. My sa3000s are already satisfying me in the bass region

Based on memory alone, the SA5000 seemed more bass light than the AD700 due to its very heavy treble emphasis.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep on reading that the sa5000s are bassier and and more defined than the sa3000s so they should have ample bass. My sa3000s are already satisfying me in the bass region

where does it roll off in this test? http://www.tfm.ro/ac3/download/test_ac3.rar

my cd1k clearly mutes at 35Hz(at 50Hz it's already pretty shy)..my DT770/600Ω was plenty loud up to 20Hz.

but their bass response is totally different, the DT770 bass is just boomy and flabby as hell...the cd1k has a very tight/aerial/precise bass response.

a friend of mine prefers the bass response of his dx1k(which I haven't heard yet) by a long shot, but the SS is not as wide as the cd1k....I'll take a tight bass over a boomy one anytime of the day.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #33 of 35
Another year old thread saved from oblivion.
But just to add,the SA5000 have all the natural bass that you want,if you need plenty then move into the unreal bass of the darth's,boom boom heaven.
The SA5000's are a wonderful can,detail to die for.
Do not bother with it if your source is not up to scratch.
This from someone who has had them for several years now,and will continue to have them for many years in the future.
At there price point in the States unbeatable.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #34 of 35
Well, all the worried/concerns were solved finally....
Quote:

I just have the same interest, but in the drivers for my DT990 enclosure (i am in this moment deciding to get them or the DX1000 for my headphones...)
That is very good, and i have had the same doubt about the bass.

....I was/am worried about the Attack/Decay/PRat of the DX1000 drivers compared to the SA5000 drivers in the bass [because i know (almost with completely security) that this drivers are technically superior to the DX1000 ones, except to the deepness in the bass]. For that i want to known if the DX1000 drivers are almost as good (decently for my music type) in the speed (Attack/Decay) and PRat as the SA5000, because i am not sure at all (its an hard decission to take/do), if they are decent enough (if they are faster than Denons (that are faster enough with some tweaks), that would be wonderful, and they work well with movies (that is evident that they do that....), another of the issues about those drivers is his price (specially the DX1000 (are overly expenssive)), but it haven't relevance here (only as an observation). Well, the bass slam and soundstage capability seems superior in the DX1000 too...

That is a very good reference for me too (because i have the Denons too). I am still worried about the tonality of the SA5000 (that it could be something artificial...), especially with women voices or some sounds/instruments...

....Are the DX1000 drivers competent enough in the Attack/PRat/speed for fast music (because i want to use them for watching movies too (can be very versatiles if they fulfill the requeriments above), only if they aren't a lazy ones (hehe) with the music that i described above).....

Then you will enjoy the modded/transplanted headphones that i have now...
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned a Black Dragon recabled SA5000 for a while and I typically used the built in Foobar equalizer with them. I bumped the 55 Hz up by 2 db and the 77 Hz up by 1 db. It certainly helped, but it didn't give the bass enough impact for my taste. To give you an idea of my preferences, I really enjoy the bass of the D2000 and the Ultrasones.

Almost all of the problems that this headphone have, are solved with my Mod/transplant.
They sound much better in my Denon AH-Dx000 enclosure /w stock pads and some mods....

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay -- I've spent the past 3 days reading and re-reading all the posts on here (back to 01-2005) and I mostly like what is said about these cans, BUT, I see much controversy regarding the BASS on these cans.

I want to buy them for their celebrated details, but would NOT want a "bass-less" can, which is just as important as the highs and mids to me.

So, can anyone that has heard the SA5000, and ANY of the cans on the following list of fairly popular cans, please tell me which one (if any) the SA5000 BASS sounds closest (or similar) to?
confused_face(1).gif

PRO 750/2500
HFI-780
JVC DX1000
HD580
Sony V6
Kenwood K1000
DT990/250 (05)
DT880/250 (05)
RS-1
SR-325i
Denon D2000/D5000

Thanks in advance!

P.S. -- I ordered these twice in the last two days, and then canceled the order each time, due to wondering whether the bass would be disappointing -- or not!

the bass is artificial, do not order them, go with headphones, opps that right, they do list them as headphones. any way try the grado line, they have the very high detail you seem to be looking for, and everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back